Trailer Trash

Taper Tuesdaily (Read 39 times)

Hi all,

Got in 4 quick miles last night. Planning on 3 easy tonight. Maybe 2 slow miles tomorrow. Then 50 on Saturday!

QOTD: Do you like tapering (if you taper at all)? Usually I say no, it makes me crazy, but this time around I have been pleasantly surprised with how much I'm enjoying my free time.

The pooch and I had a nice 7 mile trail run. It was chilly and the wind was howling. We ran some tough rocky trails.

QOTD:  I haven't raced in quite a while, but when I did I never enjoyed tapering.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

Up before the sun and getting a nice run on the roads. Urban running at times isn't bad at that early hour. Not many peeps out and running along lake Monona as the sun is rising. Nice start to the day. 19F. Better start embracing the cold.

Trailsn--Good luck with your event this weekend.

QOTD--Never was much for a proper taper. Always looked at an event as a long training run getting prepped for the next event. Probably should have raced less often and done a more proper buildup and taper. Oh well, water over the dam.

XtremeTaper

Chilly here today in PA. Might be my first run in 30 degree temps. Time for the gloves. Looks like a road run today at lunchtime in the 60 minute range. Yesterday I did a double. No real reason except I felt like running twice. Ran a road loop at lunchtime for 6 miles and then took LadyB the german short hair over to Green Lane for a night run on the trails. I put a red blinkie on her to make her a bit more visible but she is mostly white anyway. We did about 5 miles so a total of 11 for me yesterday.

QOTD: My name is XtremeTaper. Do you think I like the taper?!  Big grin

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Rocky and I got 5 miles in on the trails this morning, freezing cold with a temperature of 34 degrees (my gloves weren't warm enough) but we got out there anyways. Rocky of course loved it, and we ran the course for the race this Saturday which is marked very well. It is a 5k loop so I'll be running it 3 times Saturday, I am hoping that there aren't too many ladies running the 15k so that I can maybe place in the top 3.

qotd: it depends on how I am feeling, but normally no I don't.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

runtraildc

No run today again for me.  Ankle is turning colors, so I see that as getting better.  I hope to get out on it for a trial run tomorrow.

qotd: I am not usually running long races or am competitive enough to 'taper.   However, I seem to be on a unscheduled taper the past few weeks because of disruptions of life, etc.  I don't like it and, without running, I'm not the easiest to get along with right now.  And, I'm not sleeping well, either.   Two solid reasons I need to run.

Stone Mill is approaching quickly!  good luck T&C, Couch, Jamezilla, JByram!  Who else am I missing?  forecast looks reasonable.  Trails are pretty mud-free.

sugnim

Good morning all.  I have a 6 mile route planned for this afternoon after work.  It's super foggy out and I could barely see 10 feet in front of me on my bike commute to work this morning, but I'm hoping the fog will burn off and maybe we will see some sun.

QOTD:  I don't really do a formal taper.  I try to run a little less in the week before a race, but I'm not one for following any real training plan.  I just run for fun.

LB2

Rest today. But I got in a good 10.5 yesterday evening on the trails.

QOTD: I enjoy it, but I really want to get to the starting line and get going by the time tapering starts.

LB2

Uh oh... now what?

Yugh.. there shouldn't be any air left to the southeast of us.  The wind has howled all through the night, but it was at my back on two sides of the loop... 60ish minutes on the chip-timer.... off to have bookmarks made.  A book recently released is more trouble than a child recently born (sort of like Tom Cruise saying making a movie is harder than serving in A-stan... ).

QOTD:  I believed in and practiced a structured taper when I was after a time goal or gave serious thought to racing.  It seemed to work, but my mind tends to get in the way of my best intentions.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'll get out this afternoon when it's a little warmer. May not reach 40F today.

QOTD: If it's an important race to me, I taper. It doesn't matter whether it's an ultra or a mile. My taper last week was a definite plus in running the fastest 5K I've run in over 3 years.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

I'm thinking of skipping a run today and spending some time on the bike trainer and then the elliptical.

QOTD:  I don't like it because I find it to be stressful. I don't go crazy from the lack of activity. But the several times I've tried to actually taper correctly it was stressful since I was worrying about doing it correctly. My body seems to be weird. If I take off more then 3-4 days it takes me several days to back into the groove. I'd rather go into a race with little to no taper then too little activity before the race.

Gator eye

8 cold windy miles this morning.

QOTD: In the past I've always tapered because I seem to push myself into a place where I need a few days off to heal up body parts that start to nag me the last few weeks of training. If it was a race that I was just running for fun and enjoyment and all body parts are healthy I wouldn't taper.

Chnaiur

Doing 5 in the estuary later today.

QOTD: I used to taper for everything from 30km up to two-day stage races, and after that I had a period when I didn't. Not sure what I'll do or how I will feel about it when I resume "racing" in the spring.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

muppy

Got in a slow 6 this morning, definitely a chill to the air in good ole PA!

Runtraildc, hope that ankle gets better!

QOTD I enjoy all the extra free time, but not the phantom aches and pains that taper madness brings on!

Wandering Wally

Getting out for 5-ish later tonight.  Should be a fun romp through some fresh snow.

QOTD - I haven't really ever followed a formal taper.  Usually I just run a bit less in the week leading up to a race.  I am ambivalent to it.  Maybe if I did it correctly I would develop a more solid opinion one way or the other.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast