Trailer Trash

Grand Canyon 100M Race Report (Read 49 times)

Occasional Runner

I had my sights set on a win over the weekend and I didn't expect anything that happened. There are a lot of lessons learned in this experience, so it isn't a total loss. You can read about my silly ass right here....

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2014/05/grand-canyon-100uhhhh50k.html

Thanks!

Kelly

AT-runner

Tim

Sorry it didn't work out, but live and learn.  Some things you can't control, but you can control how you react to it.  Good luck at Comrades.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Very poignant and it hit home. I just DNFed at IAT 50K and know it was due to oversights and mistakes I made, and not just the sun beating down on me in the middle of the race causing heat issues.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Birdwell

I didn't even realize you were running that. Sorry about the weekend.

Your motorhome looks pretty sweet though.

moonlightrunner

Sorry about the race. The write up was great. Racing is a lot like other things in life. We focus on what could and should be and in doing so forget to see the beauty in what is. You are an amazing runner. It is great you have learned so much from a bad day.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Occasional Runner

Racing is a lot like other things in life. We focus on what could and should be and in doing so forget to see the beauty in what is. 

That's well said. Thanks for the reminder.

Sandy-2

Bummer, but it is good that you are able to recognize and analyze each "issue". Next time.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

MIstake #3 is probably the most important to me: NEVER lose you cool. And #3 may be the most likely thing to occur. Once it happens, you get the snowball effect and things really fall apart if you don't get it under control. Nevertheless, it probably does us all some good, eventually, to sort of prune ourselves of mental weakness through introspection after the fact. I look at it like a controlled burn in the forest, which springs forth new life when the smoke clears.

LB2

Occasional Runner

Nevertheless, it probably does us all some good, eventually, to sort of prune ourselves of mental weakness through introspection after the fact. I look at it like a controlled burn in the forest, which springs forth new life when the smoke clears.

I like that thought. Thanks, Burke.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Tough one Kelly.  It's always fun to share in your successes, but with a race like this, for me, it's time to take notes.  I like to think that living vicariously through you and others on this forum, has helped to make me wise beyond my miles, so thank you once again for sharing and for laying out the pitfalls you ran into along the way (pun acknowledged).  There's no doubt you'll bounce back stronger than before...good luck at Comrades!

**Ask me about streaking**

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks for sharing!

I would be very careful if I were you.  Groin injuries can be horrible to heal.  Sometimes they can heal in a few weeks but some are quite lengthy.  Possibly it's nothing but keep an eye on it.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Thanks for sharing!

I would be very careful if I were you.  Groin injuries can be horrible to heal.  Sometimes they can heal in a few weeks but some are quite lengthy.  Possibly it's nothing but keep an eye on it.

Ditto.  I've had a couple friends with groin injuries and they are still struggling with them. Make sure to get some rest in! 

Good job for pushing through to 50k. I would have probably dropped a lot earlier than that!  

Occasional Runner

Thanks for sharing!

Meh....I've logged 30 tough miles in the last two days and there's no sign of any lingering issue. In retrospect, I think I overreacted to it because it was so early in the race and I worried about all the potential damage I would/could do over the next 90 miles. SOme people would call that "Playing it safe". I think it caused me to mismanage my race.

Watoni

Kelly,

Great report. I think having so much success lately makes it difficult to manage expectations and easy to put pressure on yourself. It is a tough balance.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Thanks for the excellent report (and wonderful photos of course).  As others have said, it's hearing about the mistakes of others that (hopefully) helps us avoid the same mistakes.

Knowing what you know now, would you have approached that hill any differently?  Do you always go down with the same leg downhill?  Would facing front (or god forbid, backwards) have helped?

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16