Trailer Trash

(resting?) Monday (Read 36 times)

runtraildc

Good Monday Morning folks!  It's a rest day for me (like many of us here), but I'm planning to get to yoga later today.  I haven't been to a class for a couple of weeks and I'm definitely feeling it in the hips and quads.

qotd:  If you were to win the lottery, what would be the first thing you would do?  (beyond 'quit my job').  Me, I would use a bulk of the winnings to set up a foundation focused on the environment.  Mostly to help protect and conserve public lands and support work around water protection.  I think the Great Lakes need a lot of help.  And of course, maybe buy another house, preferably accessible to one of my favorite lakes.

NorthernHarrier

Back home after doing a lot of miles running and snowshoeing up north. Have the day off so I must take advantage. Heading out to some trails in just a couple minutes. Tomorrow will be a rest day. I'm still not used to the time change,  though lighter later is not a bad thing. Put away the ski's and snowshoes now as I think it's time to get the bikes ready. Oh yeah!

QOTD-Well first thing would be to gift out to the people that were my true friends before the winning. Treat them right. No carpetbaggers.  After that I would hire runtrail (and pay well)  to manage my foundation focusing on the environment in the 3 lake states of Wi, Mi, and Mn.  I would also donate heavily to the right person to help stop Gov. Walker.  I suppose a winter shack in the Virgin islands might work too.

LB2

SRD, but I want to run.

QOTD: First, I would pay off everything I owe. Then, I would buy up as much land around my house as I could, maybe 700 to 1000 acres of woods. I would also, if I had enough money, try to purchase some sort of servitude and build a trail on an old railroad system that goes through this area. The place is growing up, and it bothers me. I just think it could be put to good use. I am not talking about an asphalt rails to trails; I am talking about dirt, not limestone, DIRT. I would also start a foundation that helped purchase additional public lands for trails in other parts of the southeast as well as supported existing trail systems already in place, like the Pinhoti Trail Alliance.

LB2

Marley and I did a difficult 4 mile run on a mix of lumpy ice and crusted snow.

QOTD: Being a man of simple tastes I probably wouldn't live much different than I do now.  I would probably be more generous when it came to worthy causes, travel more frequently and more widely, and see to it that those who I love would be financially secure.  I'd probably have more toys, but again my tastes are fairly simple so nothing extravagant comes to mind.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Rest day. Although my credit union doesn't have a bank downtown, so I'll get about an hour of fast walking in over lunch to reach it I suppose. Smile

qotd: from the words of Peter from office space : "Absolutely nothing."

Just enjoy life as I have it now, but enjoy having the ability to spend a week away wherever and whenever I want. Still work as I do now, maybe go to part time. (I work from home most of the time.) Probably the most extravagant thing would be getting some "big mountain" climbing in that has been hard doing with a full time job.

I enjoy routine..pretty boring.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good morning!  I'm taking a SRD, but planning to take Bella for a nice, long walk in this glorious weather and daylight after work.

QOTD: Invest, invest, invest, invest.  Live off the interest my investments earned.  Pay off my student loans.  Buy a new car.  Buy a small, simple house.  Buy some land.  Create a network of trails on my land.  Give my parents money.  Give my siblings money.  Give my friends money.  Donate money to various causes I believe in. (Harrier and I could team up to get Scott Walker out of Wisconsin.)  Buy a couple of different types of bikes.  Buy a bunch of lightweight backpacking gear.  Thru hike the AT.  Thru hike the PCT.  Go hike/run various trails around the world.  Climb mountains.  Explore cities.  Drink a lot of good beer and good coffee with good friends.

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

SRD which i really need this time around. Legs, back and feet are really beat up from my Saturday snow run. Should have been doing more of that all winter.  Today was supposed to be a 12 hour shift but one of the other guys needed off so it will be a 24, which is a good thing considering my well pump needs to be replaced .  I'm expecting it to cost around 750-1000 bucks.

QOTD:  First I would contact a good tax attorney to advise me on the tax ramifications. Then I would set about investing the money, mostly in dividend paying stocks, but possibly in woodland. My main goal would be to protect the principal that I had received. Any donations or help that I would give out would come from the earnings on the principal with one exception. The Kids would have their student loans payed off and would get some money set aside in a retirement trust that they could only access for that purpose.  Any woodland that I purchased would be managed for timber and outdoor activity, including trails, hunting, fishing, and possibly ATV and snowmachine activity.   I would be interested in starting or assisting a foundation to return the political party of my youth to it's roots and pry it loose from the grip of the radicals, so NH, Mandy and I may end up working together on that.

After several years I'm sure I would either sell my current place or tear the house down and build another one on the site. Either way I would build the house myself. My overall lifestyle would not really change much other then I would travel a lot more and do a lot of trail maintaince.

sugnim

Good morning all.  I went for a nice little run with the family yesterday.  The trail we chose was pretty icy, so we did a lot of slipping around.  My son thought it was a lot of fun in the running stroller.  Mondays are rest days for me, as far as running goes.

QOTD:  The first thing I would do is sell our house & buy a different house.  Then I'd pay off my student loan and find out how to invest the rest of the money so that we could live as comfortably as possible for as long as possible.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Getting ready for a nice afternoon run in the warm sunshine. The warm breeze on the face is so much more enjoyable than the fierce, ice-cold wind of the last few weeks.

I thought my legs would be sore after yesterday's snow miles, but they aren't. But I still need to work on the elevation gain for MMT100 (rank 27 on the wait list now).

What surprised me was to read on their website that MMT has less than 17,000 feet of elevation gain - that's less than OC100, and far less than ES100. Why is it called one of the toughest races east of the Mississippi? Is the trail that rough and tough and unrunable on long stretches? Steepness of the hills? This worries me. 

QOTD: Clarify the taxes, then pay off debt and buy a new house. Not exactly a mansion, but a big, nice house with some land around it, close to trails. Invest the rest, so that I can live off the interest. Pay off the children's student loans and give them a chunk for buying a house. I'd invest mainly in real estate.

I would not quit my job, or get many toys. Pretty much just continue to live my life, only with more comfort, and travel a lot more, preferably with the kids.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  5 weeks until my GC adventure and I've logged some good miles so ow it's more about not doing anything stupid.

QOTD:  I'd still work, but would not deal with any insurance / government paper work at all and would take more time off to travel to see kids.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looks like a RD for me despite the beautiful weather.

QOTD:  In general I doubt it would change my life that much except for allowing me to travel more. I think I'd like to set up a college scholarship fund for runners that fall in that gap where they don't qualify for government handouts but aren't wealthy enough to pay for college without going deeply into debt.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

moonlightrunner

Likely a rest day for me as I have grandmother responsibilities after work.

Qotd: what Mandy said...except I wold SO QUIT MY JOB! I would provide for thos I love, and contribute to charities. Then...I would do whatever I wanted to do every day! I would definitely run in all the places I've seen that look intriguing. And fun. I take my elderly parents on a vacation.I would take my grandkids to Disney.and much, much more!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran down the beach and then turned into the town and ran around the hood.  Was a much more interesting run, looking at how they live plus mot really knowing where I was going.  Mexico has cool grveyards.

QOTD:  give some to my nieces and nephews and siblings.  Buy a new little house with land so my husband can have a large shop/garage and I could start a dog resucue.  And HELL YA i'm quitting my job!!!!!   Visit my family in Michigan more, spend a yaR traveling around US running in cool places and meeting everyone I've talk to on running forums.  Oh and a little place on the coast of Oregon.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

So far just 5 miles today on the road at lunch time. Look ma.. no hat gloves or layers. Now if this snow will just melt. I'll take the Lady over to Monocacy Hill this evening for 5 miles of slushy slipper snow running.

QOTD: Pay off mortgage, buy a winter home. Help my nieces and nephews. Bank and invest.

Couch - I've never ran OC100 or ES100 but talked to some friends who ran the marathon at Eastern States (and who have done MMT) and heard it was way tougher than MMT. I've only read reports about OC100 but find it difficult to believe it is more mountainous than MMT. MMT has very tough rocky terrain, probably nothing worse than you've seen though. A few ridge tops are nothing more than rock scrambling, and very difficult at night. For the most part the course goes like so.. leave aid station, run up a mountain 1,000-1,500 feet. Run around or hike around on the ridge. Go back down the mountain to the next aid station.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Watoni

Day 8 of the running shut down. Hoping for a ride later. I did some good riding yesterday and Saturday after not really riding all year (once in January, once in February). I am slow so doing the GPS/Strava thing is kind of a bummer. I will try to go mostly unplugged.

QOTD: Hmmm ... probably move to the mountains, help fund some preservation work and spend a ton more time running/cycling and spending a ton more time with my family.