Trailer Trash

Downtime between 50k and 50M-any advice? (Read 47 times)

So I'm recovering from Hyner 4/20 and plan on my first 50M on 5/26.  My initial plan was to make it an active recovery, with a few moderate distance trail runs between now and then (14-16 miles max).  I was extremely beat up in the first few days after Hyner, and I didn't even try to run until last Wednesday.  I went for a few easy miles today, and I still feel off.  Nothing is injured, I'm not sore, but my legs don't feel "right".  My gut is telling me to just take it really easy in the upcoming few weeks.  Have I made a mistake in having these races only a month apart?  I'm admittedly a bit apprehesive that I'm going to fail miserably.  Any words of advice or tips that will get me to the starting line in the best possible condition?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The recovery may take a while, but don't neglect the runs. Throw in a few hard runs, they should be short, but they are important.

I did a second 50M 4 weeks after my first. It took me more than two weeks to recover from the 50M, almost 3. Then it was time to taper for the next 50M. During the recovery, I did a few hard runs, but nothing really long. I think it all stayed in the range you are mentioning. For the second race, I did not do a true taper, just ran shorter in the 10 days before the race, then my usual 3 days of no running right before. It worked very well, I felt great on the second 50-miler and had fun.

You'll do fine on the 50M, don't worry about it. Your training is done, the 50k was a great long run, and and easy week, then a good taper with a few hard, short runs and no long runs, will do the trick for you, too!

Hyner beat me up, too, but fortunately only for 3 or 4 days, then everything was back to normal again. However, I ran again right the next day, and did not take time off. For me, even just a few miles when I'm totally sore , work very well for recovery. It's tough, but worth it.

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

Are you running Dirty German?

I agree with Couch. If I was coaching you, I would ask you to do a 16-18 mile run 2 weeks out from your 50 miler. The rest of the time, I would suggest 4-7 mile runs on varying terrain at varying intensity. Rest 2 days prior to your race. You can still run, but I would make it very leisurely.

XtremeTaper

Personally I'd try to keep the runs easy until your legs feel normal again. Doing speedwork on cramped beat up legs seems like a recipe for trouble to me. Hyner is a super hilly/mountainous course so it's no wonder you are sore. Get yourself recovered, and try to fit in at least one run in the 18-?? range and you should be ready for your 50.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Last year my legs did not feel right after Hyner for a month.  Nothing specific, nothing injured, just that all my runs were slow and sloggy.  Your time between the races should be fine.  But I agree with the others, no need for anything too long.  18ish should be fine.  Get some rest periods (maybe a few 2-3 day periods) but keep up the running through the month.  Do some rolling, stretching, massage - whatever might loosen up the muscles.  If you have been doing cross training - keep doing it.  That may really help too.  If you have not been doing any cross training, you could do some but not too much.  Your body needs to get used to that too.

One other thing....you will be fine at the DG!!!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I just looked up my log, and I did 12-15 miles PER WEEK in the two weeks after my first 50M.

Then one week with an 18-mile run and a 15-mile run (total that week was 44), and the taper week with 13 miles before the next 50M.

Most runs were around 6-8 miles long.

So don't feel bad if you have 1 or 2 weeks with very low mileage in between the races to recover, it won't hurt you as long as you still run or cross-train somewhat.

Good luck for the DG!

Run for fun.

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement.  I hit some easier trail last night for an hour or so.  I still feel off, but slightly better than I had on my previous run.  Maybe I was just getting impatient on the recovery.  I could go out this weekend with a group doing a more difficult terrain for 3-4 hours, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that.  As of now, I think I'll take an easy paced solo run for 1-2 hours this weekend at Blue Marsh (less technical), and then plan 3 hours or so on the Horse Shoe trail from French Creek the following weekend.  I'm going to keep my weekday runs nice and easy, which works out well, because the boys are loving the nice weather and beg to go for stroller runs.  I can't be too crazy when I'm pushing them.Smile

Uh oh... now what?

So... how it is now?

So... how it is now?

I took the day off today since I'd run the last two.  I'll see in the morning how I feel- hopefully I'll get an easy 6-7 in, and then Sunday I'll go out for 14ish on trail.  I talked to a few more experienced runners (than me), and they concurred with everyone here that I just need a bit longer to recover.  I'm fully aware that I have a tendency to worry needlessly, which doesn't do me an ounce of good.

Uh oh... now what?

Make sure you are eating properly -- not just all the whim stuff.

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/9/9_2/nutritional-support-for-s.shtml

Be careful thinking you need to be doing stuff.  Do something to make

being out there fun--play with your running so you won't be paying

attention to every little twitch or flutter.  Bike ride, whirlpool, bird watching

walk, ... is called active rest.

Make sure you have rehydrated and are eating properly.  Yes, I am

repeating myself.  I do that.

Thank you for the sound advice.  I'm feeling back to my baseline today, and will concentrate on continuing to allow my body to recover.  I decided to do a low-key fat-ass in Valley Forge next weekend instead of stressing over my mileage.  It will probably end up being a bit shorter than I'd originally planned, but more of a fun, relaxing day out with new trail friends.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Make sure you are eating properly -- not just all the whim stuff.

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/9/9_2/nutritional-support-for-s.shtml

Be careful thinking you need to be doing stuff.  Do something to make

being out there fun--play with your running so you won't be paying

attention to every little twitch or flutter.  Bike ride, whirlpool, bird watching

walk, ... is called active rest.

Make sure you have rehydrated and are eating properly.  Yes, I am

repeating myself.  I do that.

Best advice ever!

If you get yourself into the treadmill of "I have to keep training!" you risk burning out before your training even takes effect.

Run for fun, at least for a while, see things more relaxed, and your performance will be back soon again.

Glad you decided to do the FA run, it's going to revive your spirits and make you feel the joy of running again.

Run for fun.