Trailer Trash

Moab Red Hot 55k and Zion 100 Race Course Preview (Read 260 times)

Occasional Runner

I cruised around the trails in Moab and Zion over the last 2 weekends so i could train on the race courses. Here is what I saw and learned. I included a lot of pictures for those that don't like to read. Wink

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2013/01/race-preview-moab-red-hot-and-zion-100.html

Birdwell

Nice write up lace. The Moab stuff is very interesting. I just noticed they recently made a change, and are not going to allow drop bags. 
      I just hope the course is well marked.

As for the zion stuff, I've not had the chance to meet Matt yet, but i've heard alot about him from friends down here. He seems to be a great guy, and i look forward to meeting him when I'm volunteering at the Zion 100 this year.

Occasional Runner

If you're volunteering, you'll meet him. He seems to be everywhere all at once during his race. He's a great guy. You just have to get him to slow down long enough to get to know him.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Great stuff, Kelly.   How do the hills on those courses compare to the climbs at the beginning of the Laurel Ultra?  I did some hiking in Northern California, Mt. Shasta region, a few years ago, and while the climbs out there were longer than here, they were not as steep.

Thanks!

Occasional Runner

Great stuff, Kelly.   How do the hills on those courses compare to the climbs at the beginning of the Laurel Ultra?  I did some hiking in Northern California, Mt. Shasta region, a few years ago, and while the climbs out there were longer than here, they were not as steep.

Thanks!

The first climb on the LHHT coming out of Ohiopyle is long but gradual. The next couple of climbs are steeper but shorter. The climbs up the mesa's in southern Utah are steep but they're much longer than what you see at Laurel Highlands. Also, the footing is better on the LHHT. A lot of the trails were developed by mountain bikers, so they include a lot of drops and an abundance of rock. The area near Zion that we ran is the same place they do those crazy Red Bull mountain bike descents that you see on TV.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks for the words/pics, Moab Red Hot is definitely on my to do list for next year- possibly this year is a trans-Zion run too Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Great training report, Kelly! Sounds like you had a lot of fun out there. Great pictures, the area looks like the most wonderful place for trail running.

Happy birthday (belated)!

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Happy Birthday! 40 right? You're officially old!

And thanks for the pictures because I am one who doesn't like to read.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

tjrun

Thanks for this post!  Utah is my favorite state, and the pics are just gorgeous. I'm hoping to move as close to Springdale as I can in 7 years when I retire!

Not trying to hijack, Kelly, but I'd love to ask a question.  The only thing my daughter wants for graduation is a hiking trip and hiking the full Narrows is at the top of our list, but from what I'm hearing you say, Utah is getting lots of snow - thus lots of water from snow melt.  In June 2011 when we were there, the Narrows was closed because of high volume of water.  Have you(or anyone out there) done the Narrows hike all the way through?  Also, we usually make our trips in early June because we do backcountry hiking in the Grand Canyon also before it gets too hot.  At what point in the summer does the Zion Narrows water level go down?

Thanks for any info.  Looking at your pics just makes me want to head that way now!!!!

Sandy-2

Thanks for the writeup and pics.  Looks really nice.

Not a lot of trees though, I guess there could be some warm temps and direct sunlight (at least for the Zion).

Good luck with your races.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

Happy Birthday! 40 right? You're officially old!

And thanks for the pictures because I am one who doesn't like to read.

Still young enough to whoop your ass on the trails, SON! I will be reminding you of that comment one day...late in a race.Wink

Occasional Runner

Thanks for this post!  Utah is my favorite state, and the pics are just gorgeous. I'm hoping to move as close to Springdale as I can in 7 years when I retire!

Not trying to hijack, Kelly, but I'd love to ask a question.  The only thing my daughter wants for graduation is a hiking trip and hiking the full Narrows is at the top of our list, but from what I'm hearing you say, Utah is getting lots of snow - thus lots of water from snow melt.  In June 2011 when we were there, the Narrows was closed because of high volume of water.  Have you(or anyone out there) done the Narrows hike all the way through?  Also, we usually make our trips in early June because we do backcountry hiking in the Grand Canyon also before it gets too hot.  At what point in the summer does the Zion Narrows water level go down?

Thanks for any info.  Looking at your pics just makes me want to head that way now!!!!

I'm not going to use my limited knowledge to answer your question. I would direct you to the guy in my blog that I ran with. His name is Matt Gunn and he is the RD for the Zion 100. He knows that area better than anybody and guides people through the area quite a bit. You can contact him through FB or through the Zion 100 site. He'll go out of his way to get you the best information available.

Occasional Runner

Thanks for the writeup and pics.  Looks really nice.

Not a lot of trees though, I guess there could be some warm temps and direct sunlight (at least for the Zion).

Good luck with your races.

We can only hope, Sandy. Did you get signed up for Leadville?

Birdwell

I'll chime on on this. I haven't gone top down, but have gone bottom up a few times. the worst time for snow runoff seem to be late April until mid June. It's possible to do the full hike in March or April, so long as you're willing to rent a dry suit. If you call the back country desk at Zion, the rangers usually have a pretty good idea how the water levels are going to act, based on snowpack and previous years info.

I'm planning on a full through hike of the narrows sometime in late summer.

tjrun

I'm not going to use my limited knowledge to answer your question. I would direct you to the guy in my blog that I ran with. His name is Matt Gunn and he is the RD for the Zion 100. He knows that area better than anybody and guides people through the area quite a bit. You can contact him through FB or through the Zion 100 site. He'll go out of his way to get you the best information available.

Thanks Lace up, I will definitely contact him.

Birdwell - Thanks for the imput.  I will probably plan on pushing my trip back from early June to late June to try and avoid the runoff.  Late spring I'll plan on contacting Rangers for more info.  I would love to hear more about your through trip.  Any reason you chose bottom up as opposed to top down?