Trailer Trash

Ranting (not totally non runner related but mostly) (Read 73 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ok you guys said rant away so here goes:

1.) It's 2013 - how is it possible that we live in such an evil world that during a soccer game (in Brazil) a ref gets to stab a player and in retaliation his friends/family stone him, pull him apart and stick his head on a stake? (this has squashed any such hopes of visiting Brazil)

2.) I don't understand the ridiculousness of people who are upset over the verdict in the Treyvon Martin case - I get the being disappointed upset even but to start throwing things at law enforcement, burning flags, etc.  (shaking head)

3.) How is it that trail runners can feel "ok" about throwing trash onto the trails? Especially in a race where they actually have trash bags out in the woods?

4.) How is it ok for 11 yr olds to have their own smart phone??? (I don't even have one...)

5.) I don't understand Facebook. I mean I understand it but I don't get people posting "On my way to eat at ..." or "Had oatmeal for breakfast...mmm" or "boys just suck!".  Some things don't need to be typed out.  (going to find out how to de-friend people ...)

6.) Just when you thought you had the traffic light you go through EVERYDAY timed right, someone goes and screws with the timing.

7.) A traffic accident on the OTHER side of the highway should not slow down traffic on my side of the highway! Just saying...)

8.) What does "Just Saying" mean anyways?

9.) Have you noticed how many people add "so much" after thank you? When did a simple "thank you" begin to not be enough?

10.) Weather reports now give a chance between 1/2 and 27 inches of rain/snow.  Hey that weather man is good! We got something between those amounts.

Ok done ranting.....carry on.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Where is that old RWOL popcorn guy when you need it?  Big grin

Rant on, Jamie, rant on!

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

1) That is extremely crazy!!!

2) I thought the same thing about the verdit or any verdict.  What good does trashing property do?

3) I pick up this trash and tell myself they didn't realize they dropped it.  Smile

4) Jame you need to get yourself a smartphone.  You can brose facebook and running forums while waiting at the doctors or during a boring meeting.

5) Defriend those boring people.  My family lives in Michigan and I love seeing pictures they post, say of Gennie's birthday party yesterday also runs and pictures of trails.

6)  There's no street lights on my commute to work.

7)  Jame you need to slow down even more when you have to look across more lanes and maybe even the divider.

8) Same thing as "You know" which my husband alwyas says to which I repond, "Yes, I know, you just told me."

9) It stopped being enough at the same time telling someone congratualtions now requires "Let's get them a gift for that promotion, retirement, engagement, graduation, new job, etc."

10)  yep

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Would you fucking people who are throwing glass out of your fucking car windows please stop so I don't run over any more of that fucking glass and keep getting flat tires on my way home from work?  All of the money I am saving in gas is going toward new tubes.  Angry

/cyclist rant

Running is dumb.

NorthernHarrier

My little rant relating to:

#2--Why do these kind of trials always just end up being a black vs white thing?  And if you only just did a casual glance of the trial and the few facts that we actually had along with looking at the closing arguments did anyone with half a brain think that it was "beyond reasonable doubt"?  What a waste of time. A failure on many levels. And I'm not saying Zimmerman was just in his actions--JUST SAYIN" (#8)

#4-- I think I am the last person around with a flip phone. Big grin

#5-- Never understood facebook. Find it funny that someone feels they are so important that the rest of us really care if they have the sniffels today. And of course 30 people have to respond and wish them well and are sending good vibes their way. Pleeez!

#10--LOL! We have a local TV station here that has a 4 degree guarantee on their forecast and then you can qualify for some contest and a giveaway if they miss it. But a 4 degree guarantee is actually an 8 degree one in reality. Jeesh--they are really going out there!

Rants are good.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Also, thanks for the thread, Jamie!  I don't think we need to keep things all trail all the time here.  As long as you're not posting hate speech or personal attacks, I'm all for different kinds of threads.

Running is dumb.

Chnaiur

1 & 2) Isn't 2 a sign that Brazil isn't the only place wicked things happen. I understand that people are disillusioned with the laws and the legal system. Stand your ground is a crazy crazy law.

3) I hope they just dropped it.

4) Smartphones are great because you can read books on them. Kindle synchs the progress between all my different devices. I think that's awesome. And I believe kids inherit their parent's phones?

5) FB is a big disappointment to me. I'd like to discuss interesting issues, but people just don't want to engage when the combined audience of mine and their "friends" are reading. Here is how I'm trimming the list: every day I check which one of my friends has a birthday. If they aren't really my friends, I move them to acquaintance status. That way they don't see my updates, and I don't see theirs.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Uh oh... now what?

1. That is just the difference between the sophisticated civilized northern hemisphere and the backwards dysfunctional occupants of the southern hemisphere, i.e., sort of like north or south of the Mason Dixon only reversed.

2. Uh, so far the reponse to the Zimmerman trial is totally civilized compared with a few celebrations held in Detroit, Los Angeles, Oakland,
                  and a few other places back in the 'sixties--very quiet indeed.

3. My park (yes, I have a state park that I think of as mine) is much messier this year than any of the previous seven years I have seen it. We have written it off to general disgust with anything the government owns or "If it ain't mine, someone else takes care of it." so it's okay.  On the other hand, I get to spend more time walking around "my" trails picking up trash.  I am paid for cross training.

4. I do not know. Our grandchildren have smart phones. Kathy asked yesterday if I wanted to donate our rotary dial (plain black) telephone to the Lions garage sale. I say no, they probably would not take it. We have a cell phone a generation or two old because a daughter keeps sending them to us.

5. I have dropped off Facebook twice. I do not have the imagination to create a meaningful existence on it. I envy people who do. They have a life, I am both tired and retired.

6. There is a traffic light a mile from here. The next one is fourteen miles away. We go around the first one. Sometimes we go around the second one too.  The next one is only six miles after that one--constantly on and off the gas pedal.

7. All our roads have only two lanes, some have no stripes, some have great big huge tractor thingies coming.. We always slow down in case there is a tourist in need of help. We use our cell phone to call for the helicopter at the hospital just the other side of the traffic signal.

8. I think you mean "Just sayin..." No one knows the ellipsis is supposed to be an apostrophe. It is usually used by someone who thinks they know everything, which really makes those of us who do know everything very mad.

9. I am bothered by the people that are supposed to respond with "You're welcome" and instead say "Thank you" to my having said "Thank you."

10. Our area is not included on any of the local weather stations. We are in a meteoroltical anomaly, maybe a climatological anomaly... we have to combine Canadian and U.S. weather forecasts. I start the day by looking at the sky to the west.  If it is still there I go to the garage, get the bike and pedal off into the cold cruel world without my cell phone because it does not work in the park (my park) anyway.

Have a nice day?

No.  I'll have whatever kind of a day I want.  Who are you to tell me what kind of a day to have.

Uh... never mind.

We saw baby eagles today.

Chnaiur

#2. The onion's got it: http://www.theonion.com/articles/in-our-defense-these-were-some-pretty-fuckedup-law,33126/

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Uh oh... now what?

#2. The onion's got it: http://www.theonion.com/articles/in-our-defense-these-were-some-pretty-fuckedup-law,33126/

Link    <== link to the above URL thingie

3.) How is it that trail runners can feel "ok" about throwing trash onto the trails? Especially in a race where they actually have trash bags out in the woods?

The volunteers tell them it's ok to drop the trash and they'll pick it up (no lie). I handed a plastic bag to a trail builder worker (paid staff) yesterday so he could put his orange peel in it rather than tossing it over his shoulder (at least it wasn't right on the trail). and the triathlon left some of their markings up for almost 2 wks.  Too many roadies on the trails.

5.) I don't understand Facebook. I mean I understand it but I don't get people posting "On my way to eat at ..." or "Had oatmeal for breakfast...mmm" or "boys just suck!".  Some things don't need to be typed out.  (going to find out how to de-friend people ...)

Those are the people I put on mute. Actually, most of my friends I know from running, and it's fun to see where they ran that day, esp. when they're touring Europe or in lower 48. FB is for spreading word about trail work days, trail plan public meetings, etc. It's an amazing tool, sometimes.

10.) Weather reports now give a chance between 1/2 and 27 inches of rain/snow.  Hey that weather man is good! We got something between those amounts.

Sometimes they get the depth right, but just not the timing if a system comes in slower or faster than expected.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

You guys need to tell me how to put people on "mute" or "ignore" or make an acquaintance on Facebook.  I too stay in touch with friends/family and running groups/race pages but the annoying posts are...annoying me.

Oh and maybe one of my biggest rants of all, why oh why must you throw your cigarette butt out the car window? It's bad enough you are polluting my air with the second hand smoke but do you really need to flick the butt out of the window?

John - baby eagles? Cool.  Have pictures?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jonferg67

Endless trails

Feel any better, Jamie?

I get you about FB, I keep telling my DW that I must be doing it wrong. I certainly understand

it as another tool to be connected to family/friends, but I don't really need to see another

picture of my SIL's smoothie from breakfast. Here's a tip; in the right-hand corner of each

post you can choose to 'hide", then choose to 'unfollow', or something close to that.

Sometimes I think the hole place is going to hell in a hand-basket, but then I see things like

an interview with writer David McCullough, noted historian, and realize things have been

going to shit since Jefferson was around.

Good thing we have running as an outlet, that's all I have to say. Thank you (so much), just

saying.

LB2

You sound a lot like Andy Rooney...

1. I hadn't heard about that. Contrary to what John says about south of the Mason Dixon line, we would never take action like that over a soccer game... Little league baseball is a different story all together. But seriously, that is crazy.

2. The justice system is set up in a way to not allow the folks making decisions about someone's life be influenced by things other than evidence. So, folks who go nuts about verdicts are most often fueled by emotion that is based on something other than the facts.

3. I don't understand this either.

4. I don't know.

5. It is a good way to keep up with folks you don't see regularly, but... Be right back. I had to post on facebook that I was about to fart. Anyway, I don't know why people think they have to post insignificant information on facebook....

6. No traffic lights where I live.

7. I agree, rubberneckers.

8. It means you are just pointing out something.

9. Thank you's are hard to come by these days. But how much is so much?

10. Don't get me started on weather forecasters.

LB2

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

1.) It's 2013 - how is it possible that we live in such an evil world that during a soccer game (in Brazil) a ref gets to stab a player and in retaliation his friends/family stone him, pull him apart and stick his head on a stake? 

Yeah, I don't condone that

2.) I don't understand the ridiculousness of people who are upset over the verdict in the Treyvon Martin case - I get the being disappointed upset even but to start throwing things at law enforcement, burning flags, etc.  (shaking head)

These people will use any excuse to go nuts.  I watched a bunch of the trial...there was a lot of doubt.  

Pull their trail runner cards

4.) How is it ok for 11 yr olds to have their own smart phone??? (I don't even have one...)

From what I understand...adults now get their kids hand-me-down electronics

5.) I don't understand Facebook. I mean I understand it but I don't get people posting "On my way to eat at ..." or "Had oatmeal for breakfast...mmm" or "boys just suck!".  Some things don't need to be typed out.  (going to find out how to de-friend people ...)  I don't do it. 

6.) Just when you thought you had the traffic light you go through EVERYDAY timed right, someone goes and screws with the timing.  I drive through about 25 traffic lights...none of them can affect me anymore.

7.) A traffic accident on the OTHER side of the highway should not slow down traffic on my side of the highway! Just saying...)

I am a zen traffic master.  No amount of slow downs and unnecessary stops can penetrate my zen driving trance.

8.) What does "Just Saying" mean anyways?

It means "what I just said except slightly less assertive" 

9.) Have you noticed how many people add "so much" after thank you? When did a simple "thank you" begin to not be enough?

I worked in guest services..."Thank you very much"  "You are very welcome"

I appreciate the range.  If the weather man doesn't know how much snow we're getting a range is better than a guess IMO.

I was reading these in a Jerry Seinfeld voice in my head.

**Ask me about streaking**