Trailer Trash

Hoka Followup (Read 33 times)

Daydreamer1

Several months ago several people here had gotten Hokas. I forgot who got what, but I was interested in how they were doing, especially on rocky terrain.   I've had problems  with the soles separating on my Mafate's and Mafate 3s. I actually had better results with my Bondis on rocky trails.

I was looking at picking up a pair of the Mafate 4s or the Challenger.  I'd love to try the Speedgoat as they have a Vibram sole, but I want them by the middle of next week and I don't think they are out yet.

NHLA

I am on my third pair. Stenson 3 now.  They made toe box smaller on new shoe so I had to go up 1/2 size.

Work great on roads and fire roads especially when you have a big 1600' drop.

I perfer the salamans for hard trails.

LB2

I had a pair of Stinson's a few years ago. They didn't work out for me because they blistered my toe right from the start. It was horrible, but I tried hard to work it out because I loved the cushy feel. If it wasn't for the toe issue, I felt like I could run forever in them. This past Sunday, my brother gave me a pair of Clifton's. I wore them yesterday for a little tempo run, only 4 miles, but they worked great for me so far. I'll probably run a 50K Friday evening or before daylight Saturday. That should be the real test. He passed the Clifton's on to me because they caused him some blister problems in the arch. They seem to work fine for me. And I have no issue running with the Clifton's on any type of trail. They are similar, as best I can tell, to the Challenger. I need more mileage in them, but so far, I think they may be the first pair of Hoka's that will really work for me. I still think the Stinson is one of the best shoes I have ever put on my feet except for that toe thing, which would also make them one of the worst. Generally speaking, I think Hoka's are great... Unless they aren't.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Speak the truth!

Generally speaking, I think Hoka's are great... Unless they aren't.

I have a pair of Stinsons trail - a shade under 400 miles.  The outsole is really wearing down - well maybe not the foam stuff but the tread.  I feel like if I can get to 500 miles I am good with that.

I have a pair of the Challenger's - which is the trail version of the cliftons.  So far I love them.  A couple of minor things I hope they update for the next version but they feel great - super light, good tread. My only hesitation is how long they will last because they are so light weight.  I have a couple of 3+ hour trail runs on them and a bunch of shorter runs.  So we'll see how they hold up after 200 miles.  Once the Stinson's are done, I am going to get a pair of Clifton's.  I unfortunately do a fair amount of road running so...

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Jamie:

I have well over 500 miles on a pair of Altra Olympus, all trail. I love those shoes, but I would love them more if they had the cushiness of the Stinson and more grip. I am not sure why they put that tread on those shoes (Olympus) and called it a trail shoe. I have busted my butt more than a couple of times on slick red clay.

LB2

Gator eye

On my third pair of trail Stinson, got just a tad under 700 mile out of the first two pair. I just got the updated version with the new tread design and so far I gotta say I like the old tread better. Also the new version is narrower and I had to move up a half size to make room for my toes.

Watoni

Looks like Hoka has the Speedgoat in stock. I liked the old Rapa Nui 2 ok, I had many miles on the Huaka (not a great technical shoe for me). Stinsons were awful for me. I am also hoping to get some miles on the Challengers but they are not as easy on my ankle/Achilles as the La Sportivas so all Hokas are on hold for now.

Daydreamer1

Just ordered a pair of the Speedgoats. I had looked on Running Warehouse last night or the night before and it didn't look like they were available yet.

They should easily get here in time for my race.  There's more then enough rocks on that course to test out the durability of the outer soles.  I definitely like the cushioning of the Hoka's but it's disgusting when the soles only hold up for 100-150 miles. My first pair of Mafates were retired from the trails at 200 miles due to the outer sole tearing. I glued them with shoe goop and they ended up lasting 1400+ miles on the road.

Love the Bondi 4's, so much that I wear them almost exclusively. I'm planning to pick up a pair of Cliftons next. I haven't tried any trail models yet but I like the look of the Speedgoats and have heard many good things about the Challenger ATRs