Trailer Trash

Dream Jobs and Tough Decisions (Read 73 times)

Occasional Runner

I've been kicking around the idea of changing jobs if the "ideal" opportunity fell in my lap. And that's almost what happened last month.

When Ragnar was beginning their trail race series, they offered me the job as their Trail Race Director. I would manage and direct all of their trail races all over the country. I have to admit, I was pretty interested.

I met with the senior staff and I loved the office culture and the employees all seemed like really great people. They also really seemed to be excited to be bringing me on board.

Everybody was excited...

I ultimately turned the job down because we couldn't come to terms on a salary. Walking out of that office for the final time was really hard, but I just couldn't find a way to maintain my lifestyle while working for those wages, although I was very tempted to give it a shot. In the end, I was just too worried about money to take that leap.

Would you be willing to take a HUGE pay cut for a job that allowed you to run and work with runners for a living?

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Nope.  Life isn't all about money, but a lot of it is (IMO).  There is a lot more I want to do with my life than running.  Like running, I have goals elsewhere in my life.  I'm not really willing to compromise the lifestyle I live (which is pretty minimalist to begin with).  I'm sure you didn't make the decision willy-nilly and made the right one...don't get too hung up on the what-ifs.

**Ask me about streaking**

jonferg67

Endless trails

I wouldn't have given it a second thought I would have taken the job, money is highly overrated. I mean how much

stuff do we really need, and once we're gone who really gives a fuck what we had, we're remembered by what we
        did and how we treated people.

DigDug2

No, I wouldn't - the changes/sacrifices that would be required would not be worth it to me.  That's the kind of job I think about after my kids are through college and I'm relatively financially secure, but before I'm ready to retire.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Right out of college I had my dream job - training horses . Loved it,  couldn't imagine doing anything else . After about 10 years , many injuries , surgeries , never having time off ( horses have to be cared for all the time ) never having enough money or time to ride my horses I gave it up . Now I have no one's dream job I can take time off , have a decent paycheck , don't get kicked, bucked off or beat up by horses all day . I reinstated as an amateur and showed my own horses for many years and enjoyed it much more . In the end we work for money and we can volunteer for love .

Occasional Runner

I wouldn't have given it a second thought I would have taken the job, money is highly overrated. I mean how much

stuff do we really need, and once we're gone who really gives a fuck what we had, we're remembered by what we
              did and how we treated people.

I thought the same initially.

I haven't shared the actual numbers but I can say I was offered about 30% of my current earnings. While I agree that there are more important things in life than money, a person still has to meet their financial obligations, and hopefully still be able to enjoy life a little.

I've been preparing for this type of transition for a few years and my living expenses have been sharply reduced as a result. But even with that, I would have been stretched VERY thin every month and stress would have been a dominant emotion in my life.

Ultra Cowboy

I have a friend who is incorporating trail running into her final year of her BA ,as a component of her Senior Thesis.  It is awesome to see her building her career as she helps build a premier race organization.  You know what made her do that?  Getting injured , and volunteering just so she could be around her running friends.  It didn't take long for her to be offered a job, which has every indication of becoming a great paying career.

I think the tough part of making your passion your career is that separating work and fun becomes muddled, and once it is not fun you still have to do it anyway.  It is easy to DNS a race if you are a runner but not as a race director.  I see it in archery, and hunting, where the enthusiasm wanes, and you find yourself coddling the newbies when "running with the big dogs" was what had you fired up in the beginning. Unfortunately the lower talent level is what pays the bills in outdoor sports in terms of entry $$.

For me that passion is taking people into the outdoors on horseback.  I think I'd love to make outfitting my "Retirement Career" , but I would focus on Summer recreational clients rather than Fall Hunting.  That is the equivalent of doing 5/10K's vs. BQ Marathons in terms of client expectations, and preparations.

Kelly, I see you as a great person to work with elite runners since you have the unique perspective at the head of the pack, and performing at a high level.  I think when the opportunity to do that comes along the money won't matter so much.

WYBMADIITY

Save

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

No, I wouldn't.

I did when I decided to stay at home and raise the children. I had earned a lot of money before and was used to a care-free lifestyle, even though I already had a daughter. We had a house, no debt, and pets, and traveled a lot, to awesome destinations.

Then DH's self-employment came crashing down, and at the same time, I had just had my youngest DS, we had moved, and I could not find a job. DH's health went downhill, and we ended up with no money left, and a poor-paying job for DH, no job for me. Not fun.

If I had kept my high-paying job (or found an equivalent one, as the company I was working for was taken out of business by the owner), it would have been tough to get everyone's needs met, with three young children still living with us, two kids in college, and the professional requirements, but the struggle would not have been worse than it was with all the time I wanted (for running, too) but no money to secure even just basic needs.

And it is hard to give up material things and luxuries you have grown accustomed to, even if they don't mean very much to you to begin with.

I'd rather struggle to get my running in and have enough money to make it work than be free to go running but struggle to make ends meet.

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You know what made her do that?  Getting injured , and volunteering just so she could be around her running friends.  It didn't take long for her to be offered a job, which has every indication of becoming a great paying career.

I'll just keep volunteering then and waiting for my dream job to be offered to me Joking

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oh, and Kelly, have Ragnar give me a call.  It would probably be a raise for me.  Wink

Running is dumb.

Ultra Cowboy

WYBMADIITY

Save

Who Dey

I don't post here ... just lurk ... but wanted to offer my opinion.

Years ago I considered making a career change that would have meant a significant reduction in salary.  Even though I had a good job (salary-wise) I was dissatisfied.  At the time, I was heavy into volunteering at a local nature center and had dreams of making that my career.  I loved volunteering and leading nature hikes (primarily with children).  I met with the center director to express my thoughts and believed he would be overflowing with positive reinforcement.  I was surprised when his advice was to keep my current job and fulfill my passion through volunteering.  Reflecting on it, he was correct.  I loved interacting with kids.  If I had made that my profession, I would have spent less time with the kids and more time on the business side of things.

If you're fortunate enough to have a good job and the time to pursue your passions ... what's not to like?

I think you made the right decision.  I enjoy reading your posts and have no doubt that there will be future opportunities to change careers if that's your desire.

Snowdenrun

This is such a loaded question that I have 50 different answers swimming through my brain right now. As far as I understand your current job gives your the financial ability and time flexibility to travel a lot to different running events. Taking a different job would have changed a lot of in your life. I'm guessing you thought long and hard about this and made your decision for a reason, or many reasons. Now at least you know what your limits and needs/wants are if an opportunity comes up like this again.

As for me, running does not play as huge a role in my life as it does in yours. I have been toying(dreaming??) with the idea of a possible career change in the next few years. I would no doubt be taking a pay cut. Not a huge one but one significant enough that I would have to change my living habits. I would be just fine with that pay cut if it meant I was doing something I really wanted to do. I'd also take into much consideration my boyfriend and how it would affect him. And I would make sure I could still do the other things in my life, like running, hiking, boating and going home to visit family.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

The "right" amount to live on is all relative.  I work in a field that does not pay much but I enjoy what I do.  Could I go find something that pays more? Probably but I would be doing something that I hated and that is just not worth it to me.  Having said that, if you are used to a certain amount of money, that kind of reduction would be impossible to do IMO.  But then again, salray and living expenses is all relative.  DW and I think we have a small house.  In comparison to some, it's not.

I think you made the right decision BUT you will probably have more opportunities come your way.  Just wait for the right one.

Why don't you open up an outdoor type store - similar to what your buddy Leon works at? (I'm not sure if he owns or works at)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

Making as little as I do already, i'm pretty good at living on the cheap. But for the chance to have a running related job? Hell yeah!