Trailer Trash

Fridailies (Read 31 times)

Marley and I had a nice easy 2 mile trail run this morning.  I am reeling better after a uncomfortable 24 hours following a root canal for a pretty bad infection that started with a cracked tooth and got worse from there.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning! I wimped out on a run last night.  Not sure why.  I hope this is not the start of lack of motivation.  I feel like I just got motivation back.  Will try again tonight.  I did get in a short workout including some bike time so wasn't a total loss.

TT: glad you're feeling better.  You've had it rough recently with a concussion and a root canal.  Things have to get better.

QOTD: Based on TT's root canal we'll swing the QOTD in that direction.  Do you visit the dentist regularly? Like your dentist? Do you have good teeth care habits?

Me? I do visit regularly.  DW works PT at a dentist office therefore I have no choice.  But we also get free dental care so it's nice.  I don't floss enough.  I always get told that.  It will catch up to me sooner or later.  I am ambivalent about my dentist.  I had one a few years back that I loved but when my insurance changed, I had to change too.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

TT - glad you are getting out again.  How's the head?

SRD today.  Funeral tomorrow (for DW's aunt and uncle who died 12 hours apart and were in hospice together) so as any good trail runner would do, we're looking at trails near the Baltimore funeral home so we can run after the service.

The Naked Bavarian race was cancelled next weekend due to trail conditions being too snowy. WTF, it's a trail race!  Pretty upset about that because it fit perfectly into my training plan.  Now running buddy and I will have to make our own 26 miler somewhere.

QOTD: Used to, but had a run in with my dentist where he kept adding unnecessary services to his "routine" visit.  I denied some of the services and he got all snippy with me, so I stopped going in.  Looking for new dentist now, but we've been taking our time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

5.5 Road miles last night

AT, sorry to hear about DW aunt and uncle!

I saw they postponed the naked barvarian too, what did they expect to happen with a race that early.

QOTD I'm pretty good about going twice a year for cleanings. Unfortunately I seem to get more more cavities as I get older. I'd like to think that I floss a few times a week, but it always seems like I'm in a hurry and forget

LB2

I'll get 5 after work and a longish run tomorrow.

QOTD: No. If something is wrong, I go. I have good practices. I have a high tolerance for pain but not when it comes to drilling in my mouth I have a problem.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Ended up taking a nap yesterday instead of a run after work due to this cold/crudlike/congested feeling. I will do a few miles later today with the screw shoes out at Green Lane.

QOTD: Yes, twice a year for checkups. Haven't needed anything major in a while. Knock on wood.

AT/Muppy - My last trip to Blue Marsh was maybe 4-5 weeks ago. It was not very runnable then. Took us 2.5 hours to cover maybe 10 miles? I suspect it's much worse now with last weeks additional snow. Not surprising they cancelled it. Typically those trails are pretty good by March but we just are stuck in the deep freeze with no melt. There might not be enough traffic around the loop to pack it down. That's what we ran into out there.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

My God it was a cold run this morning. -6F when I started, hard to believe it will be March like any day now.   Did 7 road miles but my stride never felt right with a weird feeling in my surgically repaired hip. Why not?   Just have to be a little vigilant and hopefully it is nothing.

AT--Best wishes.

QOTD--Been  a little over a year. Go in spurts but would just as soon never go again.  I do floss daily at least. Wasn't real thrilled with my dentist so I tried a larger outfit. That was just over the top assembly line dentistry so back to my original with a little more appreciation.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

The Naked Bavarian race was cancelled next weekend due to trail conditions being too snowy. WTF, it's a trail race!  Pretty upset about that because it fit perfectly into my training plan.  Now running buddy and I will have to make our own 26 miler somewhere.

Sorry for your loss.  That actually sounds like a good situation (if that's possible) - meaning that one did not have to suffer with a loss too long.  When my grandfather passed away (years ago) my grandmother held on for a year+ mainly to help take care of her ill sister.  After the sister passed, my dad moved her up to his place in MA (from FL) and she passed away peacefully in her sleep.  She had no more reason to be on this earth.

RE: The Naked Bavarian.  I am surprised they cancelled.  I drove by there yesterday (I cold not stop due to having a co-worker with me who would not have appreciated it).  There is supposed to be some nice temps this week that will melt some but maybe not enough.  I suppose they are worried that folks would be out too long for the longer distances.

AT-runner

Tim

Sorry for your loss.  That actually sounds like a good situation (if that's possible) - meaning that one did not have to suffer with a loss too long.  When my grandfather passed away (years ago) my grandmother held on for a year+ mainly to help take care of her ill sister.  After the sister passed, my dad moved her up to his place in MA (from FL) and she passed away peacefully in her sleep.  She had no more reason to be on this earth.

DW's aunt died at 7pm, and we think her uncle went to sleep with his oxygen mask "slightly askew", on purpose, and died in his sleep.  They both had been fighting cancer and were in their mid 80's.

AT-runner

Tim

AT/Muppy - My last trip to Blue Marsh was maybe 4-5 weeks ago. It was not very runnable then. Took us 2.5 hours to cover maybe 10 miles? I suspect it's much worse now with last weeks additional snow. Not surprising they cancelled it. Typically those trails are pretty good by March but we just are stuck in the deep freeze with no melt. There might not be enough traffic around the loop to pack it down. That's what we ran into out there.

That's what it sounded like.  The park rangers were involved in the decision and were concerned about a quick thaw and muddy trails with a race causing some damage.  Race was postponed until March 29th.  I might drop down and do the 20 miler with DW as this now leaves only 2 weeks before my R3 run in the Grand Canyon.

Open to any suggestions from the PA trail crowd for a good 26 mile course that running buddy and I can do next weekend.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

That's what it sounded like.  The park rangers were involved in the decision and were concerned about a quick thaw and muddy trails with a race causing some damage.  Race was postponed until March 29th.  I might drop down and do the 20 miler with DW as this now leaves only 2 weeks before my R3 run in the Grand Canyon.

Open to any suggestions from the PA trail crowd for a good 26 mile course that running buddy and I can do next weekend.

Here are my suggestions assuming you want climbs:

The "buzzards marathon" course.  But it will be snow/ice covered as I imagine all trails to be.  If you don't know it by that name, it is a connection of the HST, Stony Creek Rail Trail, side trails, & 3 miles of the AT.  It is approximately 26 miles (give or take).  Only time I did the entire thing, it took me 6 hours and it was not snow/ice covered. It has multiple climbs and nice downhill.  I am hopefully going to do the 16 mile version on Sat the 14th.

If you don't mind driving, Couch's backyard (Rothrock State Forest) is nice although probably has more snow and ice than we have.

Start the AT around Scotts Farm and head north towards Duncannon - out n back.

Or go run the trails at Blue Marsh despite the race not being held.

LB2

AT: My aunt and uncle died a week apart. I think that happens quite a bit, strange how it works sometimes.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Also, there are some sections at Blue Marsh where if the ground is snow covered and hasn't been tracked it's very easy to get off the trail. Mostly in the meadows, fields.

I will be running some at French Creek this weekend. It's been pretty awesome this winter thanks to the mountain bikers. I'll let you know how it is. You could string something close to 26 out there but I suspect 4-5 hours would be plenty!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Watoni

On the fence ... this recurrence of the Achilles issue has got me down .... If I rest it for a month I can forget Zion. Ironically, I could rest it after that for a month and still be on track for Leadville. Probably lots of biking in my future. Also makes it less productive to go to Tahoe

QOTD: I should go more often

runtraildc

Hop on down for the Seneca Creek Greenway trail marathon and 50k next weekend.  This is probably only an hours drive or so, right?

Still not running- but maybe a couple of miles later this afternoon.  Just haven't gotten any energy back from this cold, and now it is morphing into a sinus infection.

qotd:  Yes, generally very diligent on dental visits (2x/year) and care.  My  teeth are healthy and I'd like to keep them that way.  My biggest fear is major dental surgery.