Trailer Trash

New Balance MT1210 "Leadville" (Read 89 times)

mecrowe

Computer Geek

I just put 5 road miles on mine.....I think this is really going to be a great shoe for me.  Road running in them reminds me a lot of the original NB 890.  The Leadville is a little more cushioned underfoot and I think it has a thinner upper except for the heel cup.  The only downside to the 890 for me was that I only got about 200 miles out of them and then they lost all support on the inside of my foot and let my feet roll inward to the point of ankle pain.  Hopefully the medial post on the 1210 will prevent that from happening.

bkrell

I don't really post over here b/c I just kinda gave up on forums after the big banishment debacle.  But reviews of these shoes have been sparse so I figured I would share my opinion of the pair I got on Monday.  I've worn Montrail Mountain Masochists in every trail race/ultra I've run (that's only like 7-8 races counting dnf's, lol). I initially bought them when I was completely clueless about what I needed for the trail.  I've tried to replace them first with the Salomon XA 3D Ultra 2.  My first run in those left me with blisters and raw spots.  So I ran my next two ultras (100 miler and 50 miler) in the Masochists again and had severe numbness in the front of both my feet after the 100 that didn't go away for a while.  I tried to replace them again, this summer w/ Cascadia 6's but my normal size was too narrow in the forefoot and on my first run, I lost a toenail.  So I ran another 100 in the Masochists and this time the pain wasn't so bad.  I tried an old pair of Nike Pegasus trail shoes switched out w/ my Masochists at Rocky and even though the Pegs felt like bricks, my feet took much less of a pounding in them than the Masochists.  So the NB Leadvilles are my latest attempt to find something to give my feet a little more protection.  I've only run one 6 mile trail run in them over a mix of overgrown logging/jeep road and single track.  But they are actually surprisingly firm on the run compared to how soft they feel when just walking around in them.  I guess I'm feeling firmness in the forefoot as I practically run on my tiptoes at times.  I ordered my regular size and yes, these shoes do seem a bit loose.  I was expecting it but I'm just wondering how much I'll be able to put up with it "pre-feet swelling" in an ultra....  I've yet to test out using the very last lacing eyelet so perhaps I'll test that out today....  I was a bit surprised today when examining the soles that there already appears to be some faint wear even though I've not even gotten the shoes into double digits.  Very faint, but it's there.  There's even a small nick in one of the lugs.  Obviously this stuff happens.  But when NB hypes up the durable Vibram sole, this was a bit of a surprise.

I won't put them through a major run until my next 50 miler, which is about a month away.  Fingers crossed...

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I'm probably the worst person to write a review for these but ...

So I've only ran about a half dozen times on the trails always wearing my road shoes (ASCICS Cumulus 13s).  I managed fine in them but there were times on the technical portions I just wasn't very secure in my footing.  Last weekend a friend ran with me who is a NB sales rep.  After we were done running on the trails he told me he could loan me a pair of these shoes to try out (they are demo shoes).  So today I did 9 miles on them with about 4 of it being technical trails.  I loved them.  I was concerned because I normally wear a wide shoe but these were normal width.  They did feel a little snug in the toe box at first but they seemed to loosen up as I wore them.  They had very secure footing and a good sole to go over the rocks with.  I felt much more secure wearing these than my road shoes.  Unfortunately I have to give them back this week but I'm probably going to buy me a pair soon.

ETA: I visited LRS yesterday with the intention of buying these but they didn't have them in my size.  I then tried on the Brooks Cascadia 8s which have a little bit wider of a toe box.  I liked the feel of them a little better and decided to go with the Cascadias.

You people have issues 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

good to know on the toe box, that's always where a shoe makes it (or usually breaks it!) for me

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

I put 40 miles on my new pair of 1210's Fri, Sat, Sun.  The first run, I kept losing my left shoe, until I figured out I could tighten the laces more than I initially expected.  That was due in part to the new pair of Feetures socks which were a bit slippery.  I got the shoes in 11.5 EEEE and my toes are plenty happy with enough width.  I like the cushioning level, and the 8mm heel drop feels right for the trails.

The sole has done well on the rocks and seems to be pretty grippy, at least on the dry basalt babyheads in the trail .  If you need a wide trail shoe then this deserves a look...

WYBMADIITY

Save

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I didn't know they came in extra width sizes- did you order direct from NB?

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mecrowe

Computer Geek

I didn't know they came in extra width sizes- did you order direct from NB?

The only place I have seen them in wide sizes is directly from NB.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

The only place I have seen them in wide sizes is directly from NB.

that probably explains why I haven't seen them Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

I bought my first pair from NB. I've found them other places for $5 less, but for a small difference like that, I would rather go direct. These shoes aren't sold anywhere in Ogden. For a town full of trail runners, we don't a single decent shoe store.

Ultra Cowboy

My local Fleet Feet ordered them for me before they were even in stores because they stopped stocking the 8-version (whatever number) .  the Store owner told me she placed a special order with the sales rep when she did the stocking order.

Much to my disgust, she said Guy Fieri and I are her "special snowflakes" when it comes to ordering wide shoes.  I told her I didn't appreciate being grouped in with that particular individual...Wink

WYBMADIITY

Save

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My local Fleet Feet ordered them for me before they were even in stores because they stopped stocking the 8-version (whatever number) .  the Store owner told me she placed a special order with the sales rep when she did the stocking order.

Much to my disgust, she said Guy Fieri and I are her "special snowflakes" when it comes to ordering wide shoes.  I told her I didn't appreciate being grouped in with that particular individual...Wink

Guy Fieri runs?  Man, you learn something new every day...

I would like to try these shoes out, but I really shouldn't be purchasing new shoes at the moment, especially when I have a need for another pair of road shoes, but my ummm, 6 pairs of trail shoes are all fine.

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

Mandy...you only have 6 pairs of trail shoes? And why the hell do you even need road shoes?

I just ordered my 2nd pair of 1210's. By the time I finish the Zion 100 in a few weeks, the pair I just bought will be due for retirement. I'm in a peak mileage period right now.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy...you only have 6 pairs of trail shoes? And why the hell do you even need road shoes?

My BFF's pit bull decided to eat a pair of my Salomons, so that's where pair #7 went.   I don't remember if that was the same time he ate a bunch of my Crank E-gels as well.

Running is dumb.

Birdwell

I just ordered my 2nd pair of 1210's. By the time I finish the Zion 100 in a few weeks, the pair I just bought will be due for retirement. I'm in a peak mileage period right now.

Lace, how many miles do you think you'll get out of them?

Occasional Runner

Lace, how many miles do you think you'll get out of them?

I think 500. I have about 230 on them now and they look great. If I can get more, I will, but I tend to retire trail shoes around that time no matter what.