Trailer Trash

Da Funk (Read 58 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So I am in a funk and have been for a while.  Looking for feedback from others who have been through this before.  It's a running funk but might be a little bigger than that.

Started earlier this year, during a period of injury.  I know that my issues with my feet have contributed greatly to this but lately it seems more than just that.  I have good days and I have bad days.  Good running and bad running - both physically and mentally.  The last few weeks I have lacked the motivation to run, which is not usually the case.  This morning, for example, I ran 5.5 miles.  It was humid which could account for part of it but I stopped 3x simply because I didn't feel like running anymore.  I forced myself to keep going.  I have lacked the motivation for much of anything the last couple of weeks - almost like an underlying depression.  Running has been the thing that breaks me out of my funks but it's not working lately.  I work in a field where I have helped many people break out of "funks" (mental health and substance abuse) but helping myself seems to be one of the more difficult things.

I am open to your experiences, your feedback, your suggestions.  I am willing to try most anything at this point - (take an indefinite amount of time off, just run through it, try running backwards, anything...)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

DigDug2

Sorry to hear that you're stuck.  Change is always good - I've found that doing something complementary to distance running (like training for a 5k, with shorter distances and more speedwork, or taking up cycling, or CrossFit) is very productive:  it provides a fresh set of challenges, keeps me in shape and maybe improves my fitness in some areas, but is far enough from my distance training that I'm not constantly comparing my distances, times, etc. with what I was doing six months before, which can be depressing and cause further loss of motivation.

ceezy

I would take a day (or 2) off and create a new route/long run or something interesting for the weekend.

Good luck.

runtraildc

Sorry to hear about the funk.  Happens to the best of us.  I'd second DD2's advice about change. I would suggest not taking a complete break from running, but make it 'supportive' to another activity for a while (at least a couple of months).  Swimming is good for conditioning and complements running well.  It would be a nice break during the summer, too, when heat and humidity just make running even more difficult.

good luck!

sugnim

Yuck, so sorry to hear this.  I'm not a professional, but it seems to me that just the simple act of recognizing and sharing your "funk" means you are have taken your first step out of it.  I can't say what would work for you, but if I were in your shoes (and I sometimes am) I wouldn't run if it were unenjoyable.  I would just stop.  I think that the brain can get into thought patterns & feeling patterns, and if it gets stuck on shitty patterns, then the best thing you can do is try to get it going on a different one.  When this happens to me, I try doing things that are out of the ordinary for me.  I might do something like paint the living room; go to a different town that I haven't spent time in, and just walk around there; take up an old hobby that I've neglected, like playing a musical instrument; blast some music that makes me think of a very happy time in my life; or spend all weekend cooking elaborate foods.  Once you start feeling better, you can try running again.  But before you do, think of a very memorable run when you had a great time.  Imagine yourself on that run, the smell of the trail, the feel of the dirt & rocks beneath your feet, the weather and atmosphere all around your body, and you moving through it all.  Then, go for a run.  Don't set a goal, just go out & run with no watch, no gps, and maybe go to an area where you haven't run before.  If after a couple of miles you aren't liking it, then stop.  But I think you might like it, and I think you might have a great time and feel just a little bit more like your usual self.

Like I said, I'm not an expert in this area, but this is what works for me.  I hope you feel better soon.

NorthernHarrier

Been thru a few a those over the years. For me it was too many miles, too much intensity on the training, too much self imposed pressure, along with racing too much.  Then I would have a poor performance and just come unglued. One time I remember was a road marathon back in the day and I was on a sub 3 hour pace late in the race but it was real hot and I just wilted. Did the last two miles in the classic death march, spent a couple hours in the med tent and my spirit was broken.  Didn't race again for about a year and a half, also cut miles back from at that time a little over 40 per week to about 20. Just relaxed and trail jogged, nothing long and nothing fast. Eventually set new goals and worked thru it. I was refreshed, energized, with a better focus.

Part of the learning process for me I guess. While it's great to push yourself and get  your own personal best it also reminded me that I am what I am and keep things in perspective.

Certainly other things going on in your life can mess with your motivation and that could be part of it. Clear the race calendar and just run the trails for fun for awhile. Try some new trails or do some trail type adventure runs. Just  a thought anyway. I guess I don't know really. Good luck.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

All good advice.  I have certainly been chewing on the "change things up" thing.  Even said to DW the other day about getting my bike out and do some biking (it's been hanging upside down in our shed for years).

Maybe I can sign up for a mud run? yes? Kidding of course.

I actually just came off a week of no running.  Didn't help.  I have no races on the calendar and even tentative plans for the fall are very tentative.  I don't run for competitive reasons anyways and my mileage has been fairly low since last summer (due to the injury stuff).  I have certainly contemplated either taking the summer off of running or learning to be content with a few runs scattered among other stuff.

NorthernHarrier - I like th idea of an "adventure".  It's hard in my situation to justify getting away for extended periods of time from the family since DW is at home with the kids all summer.  But I like the idea of a day, weekend, something away - maybe camping and explore some new trails.  It's an idea to explore at least.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Jamie, so sorry to hear.  I've been there (more than once) and it does get better.

From some of your older posts, it sounds like you try to juggle a lot with your schedule, kids, DW, etc.  I went through this when my kids were young, and then I started including the family into my hobby.  I would hike with them and my son used to ride his bike with me when I ran.  It was a great way to connect and to get them to see what I enjoyed.  My oldest DD is now an avid trail runner because she says I showed her the way.  DW stated crewing for me in adventure races and when I stated running ultras.  She got the bug and started running trails and now has done 5 ultras.

+1 to change.  Find brand new route (I'll even meet you for a run).  Throw away the watch for a while and don't worry about pace.  Stop and look at the scenery.  Take the kids and DW out in the woods for a picnic hike.

Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Watoni

Jame,

Sorry to hear that.

Some good suggestions here. Another one is to ask yourself if in fact you are just a bit tired from work, family etc. I was coming off (and am now back on) the work treadmill, plus I have young kids and a lovely bride.

Despite having a few free days, I have just unable to run well. For a while I was mystified. What is wrong with me? Where is my motivation? Is it the heat? Then, no silly, you are just plain exhausted, and have some intimidating goals ahead of you.

I am going to do my best, not worry about times/mileage, take it easy, and either cycle in lieu of running, take a hike or just sleep late depending on how I feel.

muppy

One thing that helps me is if I can get out of myself and help other people. Maybe volunteer for something or help out a new runner. It sucks when I get into a funk, but I do know it will get better.

Another thing that helps me is some time outside for some meditation, my favorite spot is going to Ricketts Glen state park and hiking the water fall trails, just seeing the natural beauty and power of nature helps me out.

Snowdenrun

I get it. I feel your pain. You seem to have a lot on your plate. I'm going to echo everyone else by saying switch it up. Run somewhere new. Explore. Don't worry about speed or time or even walking breaks. Much easier said than done, I know.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'm also in a funk...largely due to working long hours.  What worries me is that I was in a funk at the exact same time last year (2 months of no running).  I have had time to run, but I find myself with 0 motivation to get out the door.

What got me out of the funk last year was an impending 1/2 marathon.  I started back up about 4 weeks out from the race (way too late).  For me, I don't think I am going to force myself to get out of this funk until I have my work affairs back in order.  Maybe try the opposite of what you usually do...instead of using the running to get the rest of your life in order, get the rest of your life in order then give running a shot again.

Other things that have "upped" my motivation have been: reading a book, volounteering, doing a good job at something I'm good at, getting away from everything (trip, hike, etc)...I'll add more if I think of any.

Buying new gear/products/shoes

**Ask me about streaking**

jonferg67

Endless trails

Hey Jamie,

Sorry to hear about the funk, but good job stepping out of it enough to ask for feedback. I've

been on a roller-coaster of feeling shitty this past winter, as you know. Just like you my

running has been the one thing I turn to for pulling me out of it, and motivation had never been

an issue until the depression got severe. The only thing I can add is; what your feeling is
                            normal an WILL pass, and it's 
                            perfectly okay to modify your running to adapt to this feeling. With 

Hyner behind you there is nothing on the horizon to train for, so a little break might just do the 

trick. I know it's not the same, but biking can be fun too, especially mountain biking. 

Now just don't fly off the handle and enter a mud run, we'd have to all gather and do an intervention!!

Hang in there, dude.

One more thing. I'm a recovering alcoholic and one of the things we tell each other when things get tough

is to 'move a muscle/change a thought.' In other words, a completely different activity might do wonders.

I was in a major running funk for all of 2011. I ran my first marathon after 2 years of solid, regular running & racing and after that, I took a YEAR off from running. Yes, an entire year. I thought I would never ever be a runner again, and told people that. But I did other things (gaining weight among them) and actually enjoyed my time away from it. After I got fed up with extra pounds and being inactive, I signed up for another marathon and haven't looked back since.  I am convinced that if I never took that time off to enjoy life without running, I would not love running so fiercely now, and I would definitely not be an ultrarunner.

One thing that struck a chord with me: " I have lacked the motivation for much of anything the last couple of weeks - almost like an underlying depression." 

When I was clinically depressed for a couple of years after my brother died, I was running, but more as a coping mechanism than anything else.  Now I run because I truly want to and love it.   I see that you are in the mental health field...have you considered a few therapy sessions? It seems that when I am in a "funk", running and therapy are the only 2 things that have ever helped me get through it.

Hope you feel better soon Smile

Daydreamer1

Not much to add to what everyone else said. The one thing I was wondering about though is are you getting enough sleep? If you're getting up fairly early to run and developing a huge sleep deficit that could be a problem.

Give the bike a try, it might just help, or you may go over to the fast, dark side Big grin.  As much as I love my biking I sometimes think that I was getting a little bored with just biking and needed something else, which is what got me interested in running more.