Trailer Trash

Recovery Drinks (Read 34 times)

Messenjah

I looked to see if I could find something buried within the host of threads before asking, but couldn't find anything.

After what type of runs (long, tempo, speedwork, etc) do you start to use recovery drinks? I have never used drinks and have gotten a few samples recently to try out and I don't know when I should use them. Normally I eat some nuts or something after tempo work and real food after long runs but nothing specific. I do a lot of my runs at night after my kids go to bed so I try to not have a lot of sugar before bed and it seems like that is the main ingredient in some....I mean....c'mon....we are runners and we need all of the beauty rest we can get

Just wondering how many of you use recovery drinks and when to best use them. The brands that I have gotten samples from are Vitargo, Hammer and Clif.

AT-runner

Tim

Never really tried any store bought recovery drinks.  I don't do well with too much protein and fat during long runs, so I try to get some right after I'm done.  I've used good old chocolate milk for years on any run longer than 15 miles.  Helps that I love chocolate milk.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

after long runs/races- I usually do a couple of scoops of Recoverite mixed into a glass of milk-usually right after the race and again sometime in the evening.  after my shorter runs (or strength training) I usually put together a small smoothie w/ juice, fruit, & protein powder

I can't point to any empirical data that supports their use, but it seems to help for me Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

I use Recoverite if I plan to use a manufactured recovery drink. I also have a food and hydration routine that I know to be very effective for me.

Messenjah

PBR is a great "hydration" tool

I also have a food and hydration routine that I know to be very effective for me.

Gator eye

Beer and a cheese burger works great for me.

Daydreamer1

When I first got into bicycling I used several different recovery drinks that I no longer remember the names of but were highly recommended. Some seemed to work, some didn't.  Then a friend gave me a protein powder that his wife didn't want. It was Ultimate Muscle Protein by Beverly International. It's marketed for weight lifters so I didn't think it would work. After using it several times I found that it works great and have been using it for probably the past 9-10 years. I can tell a dramatic difference in recovery times. I mix it with milk, and use it as soon as possible after the run or ride, then eat a normal meal. Definitely can tell when I don't use it. Without it a 20 mile run will leave me sore for several days, with it no soreness.

I typically start to use it for any run over 8 miles but will use it after my one 10k loop if I have pushed real hard.

Messenjah

I did a 10 mile tempo run this AM and finally gave one of the drinks a shot. I tried the Vitargo GENR8 sample. I mixed it in with my normal post-run/breakfast smoothie (basically just banana, strawberries, ice, yogurt, some oatmeal) and I really feel like it might be working. No real soreness that I would normally have post-run. Maybe it's just in my head.

It's unflavored, very fine powder. Not gritty or anything. My one concern with this one? The single serving pouches are $3.79/pouch and they suggest for "maximum effectiveness" to use 3 per day!!!!!! Sorry, unless they sponsor me or send me a truck load of samples I'll keep looking

LB2

Usually chocolate milk is what I use. But I have used Recoverite a few times and found that it works well.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have used freebies (Hammer Whey protein, Soy protein and Recoverite) and one or two Hammer Whey protein drinks after my 100-miler.

I have noticed that they do make a difference in my recovery time and well-being after really long runs (ultra length), but they are too expensive for me to use often.

The Whey protein drink works best for me. If I feel exhausted after a long training run, I usually have some yogurt.

In Austria, we used to have whey-and-fruit drinks from the dairy cooler, which were cheap, and I loved them. I have not seen anything of that kind here, though, other than special "workout/protein" drinks.

Run for fun.