Trailer Trash

Anybody run trails at 2/3 am? (Read 69 times)

Watoni

I have a 6am call tomorrow for work but want to get in my trail run (no chance it will happen after work, whenever that will be).

I am considering a nighttime trail run (safer than being on the streets, most likely) from something like 3-5am. I have a decent light that should last two hours on high, and I will not need it on high all the time. Weather should be clear and about 35 degrees.

Thoughts? My wife says I should wear a bell for coyotes and the occasional mountain lion ...

LB2

Yes. I do that fairly often. I love running night.

LB2

Watoni

Yes. I do that fairly often. I love running night.

Perfect. I am looking into the Petzl Nao headlamp (never used a headlamp), but this should be a good one and should last over 2 hours for future late night/early morning adventures ...

Endurance Guy

Pain cave junkie

Perfect. I am looking into the Petzl Nao headlamp (never used a headlamp), but this should be a good one and should last over 2 hours for future late night/early morning adventures ...

Jeff,

Nao headlight is the cats meow.  As crazy as you are why not go out and have a great time.  You can handle the wildlife.  Have fun man.

JB

ultraendure.blogspot.com

mecrowe

Computer Geek

I just did my first nighttime trail run last week.   I ran from about 9pm until midnight.  I ran with a Fenix HP-10 and ran it on medium power all night and it was fine.  we don't have lions here.....but do have coyotes and black bears but if those are going to attack....a bell isn't going to help you much unless the attacker chokes on it.  lol

I think running trails at night could quickly become one of my favorite things to do!

I would love to, but our trails have a curfew. This is Philadelphia after all....sometimes I barely feel safe running there in broad daylight. :/  I imagine if I lived in a more remote area I would be all for it though. I say go for it.

LB2

I prefer a handheld light. They give you much better depth perception. Sometimes I used both.

LB2

BenTN

I frequently do long trail runs before dawn in the summer. I wear cheap (Walmart/Remington) shooting glasses for eye protection. Primarily for spider webs but also small branches.

During the winter, I do ultras every 3 to 5 weeks instead of long training runs.

Watoni

Well, I did a headlamp test this morning on a climb/descent in the dark. Given how bumpy the trail is at times, the depth perception (or lack thereof) is interesting, but on the other hand it is nice not to have the light bouncing around like you have with a flashlight. For long runs I might do the headlamp plus my small flashlight just for descents.

It did illuminate a skunk running out right in front of me, though. I normally do not like to stop running uphill, but I brake for skunks!

trailzombie

trailzombie

Night runs are the best!~ From November to March, most of my mid week runs end up after dark.

Uh oh... now what?

Flashlights are sometimes steadier in one hand versus the other.  I always

carry my hand-light in my right hand.

I go out between one and three a.m. one or two times a week, check for

stars, if I can see them or if there is more than half a moon for light, go out.