Trailer Trash

Soapstone Mountain 24K Race Report (Read 23 times)

DigDug2

The Soapstone Mountain 24k in northern CT is part of the Grand Tree trail running series, which is made up of about 20 races a year in MA, CT, VT, and NH.  This year was the 29th running – it’s very well-organized but still has a small race feel (e.g., chip timing, but still a “ready, set, go” start without so much as a megaphone).  Race day conditions were good – mid-50s, a little humid but not bad, and the rain that was threatening held off until after the race.

This spring I’ve raced a 10.5 miler (went well) and a 13.1 miler (two weeks ago, not so well), and this 14.5 miler was sort of a goal race for my spring.  I had never run it before, but I had read that it was classic New England-type trail race – lots of ups and downs and rocks and roots, a couple of tough climbs, but very runnable.  I only ran three times since my half marathon two weeks ago, where I fell and bruised my ego (recovered quickly) and my ribs (more slowly), but I biked a few times as well and don’t think I lost any fitness.

Course was great as advertised.  Dirt road for the first mile, then a sharp turn onto moderately technical trails that would continue over 80% of the race.  At mile 2 was the biggest climb of the course up to the top of Soapstone Mountain, definitely not runnable for all but the mountain goats.  The technical descent back down the other side was tricky, and I got passed by a few (see below).  From there on, miles of rolling, occasionally trails, with some rocky, muddy stream beds (which would have been really tough in a rainy year).  Great trails, but my legs seemed beat after the big climb/descent in miles 2 and 3.  Usually I regulate my effort by my breathing, but in the second half of the course when my breathing was comfortable, my legs just didn’t have any zip in them.  Anyway, I sort of battled through mentally, getting passed occasionally.  Finished up at 2:05 (8:23 pace, although the course may be somewhat shorter than 24K), 28th out of 170-ish, 11th in my M40-49 AG.

Positives:

• Great race, great trails – will definitely do this one again.
    • My overall position and pace were fine – I had a vague goal of sub-9 minute miles, and I got under that.  I also felt like I walked the hills I should have walked, and didn’t walk anywhere else.
    • I’m happy I didn’t fall.  I hate falling, and my tired legs threated to trip a number of times, but I stayed upright.

Negatives:

• Two races in a row, I’ve felt like crap for most of the race.  I survived and kept running at a non-death march pace, but I wasn’t feeling strong, couldn’t respond when I got passed, etc.  I can only conclude that it’s pacing or nutrition (or both).  On pacing, I may just think I’m faster than I am and so start out accordingly – I was in 16th place after about 2 miles (the first dirt road mile it was pretty easy to see everyone in front), finished 28th, and only passed 1 person after the first 2 miles.  On nutrition, I had a good breakfast, was hydrated and had a gel right before the start; during the race I took 8-10 oz of Gatorade at each of the three aid stations, but no gu/gel.  Not sure what I should be doing differently.  When I stopped at the 11 mi AS, my whole body felt tingly (which was new, and not enjoyable).
    • I suck at running downhill.  Technical downhills, gradual rolling downhills, any kind of descent I’m getting passed on.  Small pebbles I kick are rolling down the trail faster than me.  Leaves fluttering down from the trees are passing me. 

I like these race distances and plan to do a lot more of them (no desire to move to the longer stuff) but I have to figure out how to run them stronger/more comfortably.

Thanks for reading!

muppy

Dig Dug, congrats on a nice race! Hope  you can get the pacing and nutrition figured out so you feel better.

jonferg67

Endless trails

That's a damn good pace for that type of trail, nice work. Good job not falling.

Great job! Killer pace too.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Nice runnin' DD2.  Sounds like a really nice event.  Are the (up)hills beating you up?  I know I get that "you're legs are no longer cooperating" sensation when I push too hard uphill...makes the downhills slower too.  Hope you can get it pegged down, good things for sure when you do!  Thanks for the report!

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, DD2.  Sounds like a good day.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, great placing, nice pace!

Best thing, you did not fall!

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

20 races as part of that series? That's nice.  I bet they have a variety of distances too.  Good job on this one.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

If it were my race, I would definitely consider it a success. You beat more than 80% of the field and you had a respectable time! It sounds like a race that I would definitely do if it wasn't 2500 miles away.

Thanks for taking the time to write about it.