Trailer Trash

Waylaid Wednesdaily (Read 263 times)

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Life ambushed my running plans last night....kids, weather, elderly grandparents....all those things precluded me from heading out to run.  Today was supposed to be a day off (in my not so real schedule)....so I will roll with the punches and get out there and get the miles in tonight.  The pavement awaits me after dark...while the little ones sleep...I shall run.

qotd:   since its getting colder....what temperature would keep you from running outside?    For me, if the "feels like" temp is below about 15*F...I'm staying inside.  I don't like to run with my ears covered....and below that temp...my ears suffer too much.

Occasional Runner

20 miles this morning...on the bike. My right foot is sore so I gave it the day off. 

QOTD: I was running in northern Canada earlier this year and my eyelids froze shut and I had to abandon my run. So I guess that's my limit.

sugnim

4.5 miles in the dark rain last night.  It was actually a great run, but I was surprised at how many people were out with no lights or reflective gear on!

QOTD:  I've never skipped running due to temperature.  Usually other weather factors might cause me to postpone a run.  Heavy rain, or super high winds with snow drifts.  I probably also wouldn't run if it were hailing just because that sounds painful.  I ran in a blizzard once--just 2 miles. My dog was very confused.  I guess if it were below 0, I would probably stay home until it warmed up.

Computer Geek:  Rolling with the punches is the best way to make a running schedule in my opinion.  Cool of you to put your family first, and still find time to get your run in.

lace_up:  Eyes frozen shut?  Wow, that's hard core.  How did you find your way home, and how long were your eyes frozen shut?  I've had my hair turn white & freeze, but never my eyes.

toyger

Cross training day here--2600 yds in the pool.

QotD: I think the coldest I've run in is in the single digits. I think I'd brave colder elements if I had to. Fortunately, I don't think we'll reach those temps in Richmond. But, ya never know. The wind is what's challenging for me. If it's windy AND cold, I need to layer up before heading out.

Jen

Occasional Runner

lace_up:  Eyes frozen shut?  Wow, that's hard core.  How did you find your way home, and how long were your eyes frozen shut?  I've had my hair turn white & freeze, but never my eyes.

I just kept scraping the ice off them so I could see. They would freeze back ever 3 or 4 blinks. It was almost funny.

runtraildc

Good morning trailers!

a short 3.5 miles this morning in downtown albuquerque, no trails, but I did pass a movie set for a new eva longoria movie.  Does that count towards a bit of wildness? beautiful sunrise here, though.

DPC3- I'm leaving ABQ today.  I wanted to see that trail you mentioned, but was advised that running it in the dark alone was not a good idea.  Unfortunately, I've had zero daylight hours free.  next time

qotd:  I don't like single digits, but unless I'm visiting MN, I don't encounter them often.

AT-runner

Tim

Hopefully time for 5 miles in the Battlefield at lunch.

Hope everyone has a great day.  I cut our Christmas tree down yesterday wearing shorts and a t-shirt.  That was a first for me.

QOTD:  I'll run in any weather.  I have all kinds of skiing wear that adapts nicely  to running.  I've run more than once with ski goggles and a mask.  I'm pretty exothermic, so even in very cold weather I tend to strip off layers as I heat up.  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

SRD.

Crowe: Life ambushed your running plans last night huh? Well, life has ass raped my running plans for the last three weeks. Consider yourself lucky.

Lace: good miles.

Sug: Nice miles in the rain.

Toy: Nice swim.

DC: Enjoy NM.

AT: Enjoy your lunch.

QOTD: It doesn't get cold enough down here to stop me from running. I like the cold.

LB2

Planning on an easy 4 before work.

qotd: fortunately it never really gets particularly cold in Seattle, although freezing rain will often turn me away.  I try to layer up, but there was one run where I should have thrown on a lightweight shell since I got chilled to the bone.  I was scheduled for 13 miles, but bagged it after 7 since I was just too darn cold.  Seemed to take me forever to warm up afterward too.

Speaking of frozen eyelids, a couple of years ago I was running a race that started at dawn.  Although the snow had stopped, the trail was covered and it was pretty cold.  I did, however, wear the appropriate amount of layers.  However, about an hour in to the run the sun started coming up and I was getting bright flashes of light in my eyes.  I then realized it was the sun hitting the icicles that I formed on my eyelashes!

DoppleBock

Took this morning off - I ended up with 1.5 hour drive to Wausau and back for a visitation of a family friend last night.  As long as I was there I called a friend and we went out for a couple of beers - I tried O'so Night Train

http://www.osobrewing.com/ourbeer.php

Maybe wrong thread - But it was nice ... I like stronger beer.

That leaves me having to run at lunch and after work (I hope)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Birdwell

11.5 miles before dawn. I'm trying a new "early" schedule this week. 

QOTD: I love running in the cold. when it gets down towards the low 20's I'll break out the running pants. Single digits will force me into a fleece sweater. It doesn't get much below single digits where I'm at though. 

Hey, all! Got out for a little over an hour, in a nice balmy 9F. After the past few days where it was 10-20 degrees colder, it felt great.

mecrowe: Have a good run tonight!

lace_up: Hope your foot feels better soon.

Sugnim: I like running in the rain. Plus, it's mega-points for the winter running game! 

toyger: My husband's from Richmond. I don't think it usually does get all that cold.

runtraildc: Sunrises in New Mexico can be spectacular. I lived in Santa Fe for a couple of years (long ago).

AT-runner: Shorts while cutting down a Christmas tree does feel wrong. Stupid global warming.

LB2 and DoppleBock: Enjoy the rest!

EDRW: Enjoy your run!

Birdwell: Nice miles to get in before dawn--I'm impressed. 

QOTD: Still testing my limits here in Finland. I checked my log, and the coldest run I recorded before this year was 11F. Monday I ran over an hour with an air temp of -9F and "feels like" -18F. I thought that was cold, but at least my eyes didn't freeze shut! 

That said, I know I skied at colder temperatures when I was a kid. Although I bailed on the one run my siblings did where the wind chill was -100 at the top of the mountain. 

NorthernHarrier

Good morning,

7 road miles yesterday. Actually felt pretty good. May do some hill work a little later, nothing too intense. I have embraced the rehab/rebuild. Fun to measure the progress and work towards my little goals.

mecrowe--unless you're a sponsored pro we have to roll with things. I'm never too rigid in my plans. In the end we can't sweat the small stuff.

Toyger--Looking forward to hearing about your run in Pocohantas. Been a few years since I was there. I do remember some sweet mtn. bike trail clusters. Hope it goes well.

LB-ass raped?? Yikes!

Dopple-- Lived in Wausau myself for about 7 years. Actually owned some acreage that abutted what was then called 9 mile swamp. Wish I didn't sell that property in hindsight.

Everyone else--have a great day.

QOTD--I'll will and have run thru just about everything. But I'll watch the weather and just plan an off day if it looks really bad. If it's not too breezy I'll be OK down to about -5F. While I've run in colder it just stops being fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Frozen eye lids? -100 degree skiing? Sounds like something you'd have to experience to understand. 

0 miles today and no workout.  PT wants me to wear this make shift orthotic during the day even during non running time.  My feet have just plain ached for the last three days.  I almost feel like things are worse.  I just don't know what to do.  I trust my PT so I will keep going but this is getting very discouraging.  Sorry to be such a downer. 

QOTD: I don't know.  I know that when the temp is cold enough to make my skin hurt, it's a bit too cold.  I never run in pants so I always have some exposed skin.  But it rarely gets that cold here.  Once in a while we get a cold front that puts temps in the teens but that is usually still doable. 

But hey there is always a treadmill inside!! Dead

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Planning on a run later - my stomach is acting up after yesterday's running club meeting... beer and pizza taste good only the first time they go down your throat...

Ran into my couch this night and bruised my big toe. Blue tip, looks weird, but does not hurt too much. If it had been your couch, it might not have been so bad, although I'm still faster than it (or so I claim), but I swear MY couch was just coming up towards me at the speed of sound, and - bang!

mecrowe: Hope you'll get your late run in. I'm not so good at that, although sometimes, it works just fine.

lace-up: Sore from what? Injury, overuse? Hope it will heal up soon!

sugnim: I'm also surprised at how many night runners don't bother wearing visible gear. I have reflective shoe laces from RoadID, so incase I get late and run in the dark without wearing any reflective gear, at least I have my shoes lighting up whenever a car approaches me, or when I run under a light.

toyger: Nice swim. Freestyle?

traildc: Sounds adventureous. I liked ABQ when I was there years ago.

AT: Isn't the weather crazy in PA? It's a bit cooler today, though. Hope your Christmas tree will last long - I use a stand that holds some water, and I think this really helps keeping the tree fresh.

LB2: Life sucks sometimes when it gets into the way of running. Enjoy the rest day!

EDRW: Icycles on the eylashes - I remember those from skiing!

DoppelB: Yeah, those strong beers seem to work in your body forever. I'm also in for a later run today...

Birdwell: 11.5 miles sounds like a strong beginning of that new plan. Preparing for those 4 am race starts?

majope: Strange how single digits can feel "warm" after a period of sub-zeros. When I lived in Germany, we had a collegue from Russia (St. Petersburg, way up north) visiting. We took her on a trip to the Bavarian castles and on a boat ride, and we all were freezing in the drizzle and temps around 20 deg. Only she was wearing her coat unbuttoned, light shirt underneath, marveling at the "wonderfully warm" weather!

Harrier: You are doing so well on your rehab/rebuild. Running again, and nice distances, that's just awesome!

Jamie: Foot pain is just bad. Maybe it takes the feet a while to adjust? Hope things will work out well soon again!

Stupid question of the day: Which shoes to wear on a track? And which ones on an indoor track? Just road shoes?

QOTD: Below zero, probably. But we don't get that too often in PA. Single digits can be nice, but if it's windy, I usually keep my run short.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Run for fun.