Trailer Trash

Question with dealing with Roots (Read 44 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It seems my right foot is the one that takes the brunt, while my left foot gets out of it all. It's difficult right now as 90% of the leaves are on the ground and covering every root like a landmine, most times I am lucky but there are times when I land on a root in such a way that my ankle rolls either inwards or outward and depending on how much, it can really hurt. Now the pain doesn't last long at all, maybe a few seconds though twice I had landed on a root so hard that I was kind of limping for a minute or two before regaining my stride. Should I be concerned, is there anything I can do to prevent a possible injury? I try not to stiffen up when it happens, though really I don't have any time to stiffen up so my leg just kind of gives into it a little. I honestly think I am going to look forward to summer now, just because the leaves won't be hiding every single root.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Gator eye

I 'm no help I ve been having the same problem with my left foot rolling out.  It seems the ankle must be weak now cause the more I roll it the easier it rolls. I about cried two days ago after rolling it twice within 50 yards, hurt like hell and took me a while to walk it off. I can still run without pain but it sure is tender. I stayed on a nice flat paved road this morning for that reason. I got a couple of days on the treadmill coming up so I'm hoping to let it heal a little.

Have you tried wrapping it? I might try wrapping once I can get off the treadmill.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've got some tape.......... I've never used it before though, I do have an ankle brace wrap thingy or I did have one and the only question is it's location.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

jmctav23

2/3rds training

shorter, "lighter" strides will mitigate this to some extent.  Keep your knees relaxed so that as soon as you feel that rolling sensation you bend the knee quickly to take the force off your foot and ankle and bring the opposing foot down ASAP to catch your body weight.  Also, wider, lower stack height shoes will help a bit.  The main reason I disliked the Saucony Peregrins was the narrow sole and higher forefoot stack height led to incredibly fast ankle rolls, something I rarely experience with my lower Pearl Izumi N1s.

Wandering Wally

Keep your steps quick, light and short.  Don't be afraid to slow down a bit.  As long as the pain goes away as you keep moving you are probably fine.  Eventually the wind should blow most of the leaves off into the woods.  If you get some snow or lots of rain it should press the leaves down somewhat so you can see the contours of the underlying roots and rocks better.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

LB2

shorter, "lighter" strides will mitigate this to some extent.  Keep your knees relaxed so that as soon as you feel that rolling sensation you bend the knee quickly to take the force off your foot and ankle and bring the opposing foot down ASAP to catch your body weight.  Also, wider, lower stack height shoes will help a bit.  The main reason I disliked the Saucony Peregrins was the narrow sole and higher forefoot stack height led to incredibly fast ankle rolls, something I rarely experience with my lower Pearl Izumi N1s.

I agree with the above statement 100%. I have run all summer and into the fall in NB 110's almost exclusively. I love that shoe. I don't know much about the PI N1's, but I imagine they are similar in nature to the 110's, close to the ground and allowing you to feel the trail. I do have a pair of Peregrines, also. I like them; Although I haven't had the same experience on rooty terrain in my Peregrines as described above, I think the NB 110 or the PI N1 may be a better type of shoe for this.

LB2

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

+1 to short ligth steps.  Don't invest so much in one step that you can't  recover from it if your ankle rolls over, or your toe catches  a root.

Worst comes to worse, fall and roll out.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, it's sad because I've been running these trails for 3-4 weeks no and the first week I was flying through the trails....... I think I've either gotten cocky or I've become complacent and am not giving my full attention to the ground. I am going to have to change that immediately.

PRs