Trailer Trash

Beautiful/scenic 50M or 100k (Read 40 times)

I'm shooting for Laurel Highlands next year but also toying with the idea of traveling for a beautiful & scenic 50M or 100k, anywhere in the USA.  Obviously I've been on ultra signup and the like but I enjoy hearing opinions here.

Birdwell

Anything by Ultra Adventures (Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, Capitol Reef, Tushars)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am sure Colorado and California and Washington will be the first to be thought of and/or mentioned, but if you want something that's not mountains but still incredibly beautiful and scenic (and difficult!):

http://fall.superiortrailrace.com/race-info/50-mile/

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

Anything by Ultra Adventures (Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, Capitol Reef, Tushars)

This.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Tahoe Rim Trail has 50 mile , the lottery opens Dec. 7 ( I think ) really well done beautiful race

NorthernHarrier

Well Mt.Warden and I are signed up for the Beaverhead 55k in July, Salmon Id. and there is also a 100k. Looks to be epic and I am really looking forward to it.

Other suggestions that I have been on the courses--  Bighorns, Wy. June.    Devils Backbone, Mt. July.  San Juan Solstice, Co. June. This race will fill within an hour or so of opening.  All three of these are beautiful and challenging courses, especially Devils Backbone and San Juan.

I am also quite fond of the course Mandy suggested and I just may do the Marathon there this Sept.

Watoni

Well Mt.Warden and I are signed up for the Beaverhead 55k in July, Salmon Id. and there is also a 100k. Looks to be epic and I am really looking forward to it.

Other suggestions that I have been on the courses--  Bighorns, Wy. June.    Devils Backbone, Mt. July.  San Juan Solstice, Co. June. This race will fill within an hour or so of opening.  All three of these are beautiful and challenging courses, especially Devils Backbone and San Juan.

I am also quite fond of the course Mandy suggested and I just may do the Marathon there this Sept.

Glad to hear about Bighorn (I am considering the 100-miler).

I am also trying to do Zion ....

Occasional Runner

Glad to hear about Bighorn (I am considering the 100-miler).

I am also trying to do Zion ....

I'm registered for both of those races but will have to back out of Bighorn if I finally get drawn for WSER.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm registered for both of those races but will have to back out of Bighorn if I finally get drawn for WSER.

How many tickets do you have now?

Running is dumb.

Watoni

I assume Leon would be pacing you!

I would love to see you race and help crew, etc.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If I may piggyback on here, what about beautiful/scenic 50Ks for a flatlander who isn't used to big vertical gains or altitude but would like an introduction. And if Mandy has any Midwest suggestions, those are welcom, too, though summers there can be hot and humid. I'm thinking mostly of possible destinations for June, July, and August.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Occasional Runner

How many tickets do you have now?

4 years, so 8 tickets and a 31% chance of getting drawn. I still have NO faith that I'm getting in this year.

Occasional Runner

I assume Leon would be pacing you!

I would love to see you race and help crew, etc.

I don't have a pacer picked out. Leon has always said he wanted to pace me at Western States, but there's no plan for that to actually take place. You can join the crew...assuming it ever happens.

NorthernHarrier

If I may piggyback on here, what about beautiful/scenic 50Ks for a flatlander who isn't used to big vertical gains or altitude but would like an introduction. And if Mandy has any Midwest suggestions, those are welcom, too, though summers there can be hot and humid. I'm thinking mostly of possible destinations for June, July, and August.

Here's 4 off the top of my head:

Kettle Moraine   Wi.  June

Afton   Mn.  July

North Country   Mi.  Aug.

Hobo   Il.   Sept.

Of course Sept offers a few more incl. the Superior Trail race that Mandy linked.

And if a trail marathon interest' you, the Grand Island trail marathon on Lake Superior at Munising, Mi is a real treat in July.

E/A--- thought of another one that can give you a slight intro into some big hills and climb but w/o the altitude of a true mtn. race and that would be the Black Hills which is at the end of June in S.D.

Birdwell

E/A--- thought of another one that can give you a slight intro into some big hills and climb but w/o the altitude of a true mtn. race and that would be the Black Hills which is at the end of June in S.D.

That's a really nice one. The surrounding area is fantastic for non-running stuff as well.