Trailer Trash

Beidelheimer Sidewinder 10k RR (Read 28 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The Beidelheimer Sidewinder is the Teaser #3 of the Tussey Mountainback 50M race. It covers the 4th leg of the race, but that leg is run backwards, so the uphills in the 50-miler are the downhills in the Sidewinder, and the Teaser features just 420ft elevation gain, but 940ft or so elevation loss, resulting in a huge net loss, which makes for a fast Teaser.

The day before the race, we had had lots of rain, and the weather forecast predicted showers throughout the day. The night before the race, I was not really concerned because I was pretty sure I was not going to run anyway - DS's best friend had his birthday party just on that day, starting at noon, and DH was scheduled to work that day, so he could not drive DS there. The race was supposed to start at 10. Only the fact that my running buddy was expecting me to run and keep him some company made me even consider this race. So if I was going to run, I had to run fast! (and I had no intention of doing that to myself...)

Race day, I woke up after a not-so-restful night, but feeling fairly good. DH caught that and wished me well for the race. That meant I had to run.

The sky was grey, but no rain yet, just a drizzle every now and then. I got ready, left all rain gear at home, figuring I would not need it on such a short distance, and drove to the start, where I met my running buddy and several of my running friends from the club.

One unique feature of the race, apart from age- and gender-grading (which always works great for me because the majority of the runners is young, in their 20's), is that the runners are driven to the start line by bus, then run back to the finish line. I always love that part of the race, but this year, there was an even nicer surprise for me in store.

The buses were yellow school buses!

Now, one has to know, I have never been on a school bus before in my life. Growing up Austrian, I had seen all the American kids' series, like "Wonder Years", and I knew all about the yellow school buses, and I had always wanted to ride on one. Then I moved to America. When my daughter was in elementary school, I signed up to chaperon on field trips, just the ones that utilize a yellow school bus, for the only purpose of being able to ride such a yellow bus one day. It never worked, either I had a business trip on short notice, or the field trip was canceled for some reason.

So today, I was exhilerated to see yellow school buses at the finish area, which would drive us up to the start line. This would be the most exciting and wonderful part of the race, I was sure.

So we got onto the buses, and we took off. I could already see why kids love riding on those buses, it is just an adventure. Up and down we went on the gravel road over the hills. At the start area, the buses had to turn around. The first bus ahead of us turned (imagine, one long bus turning on a narrow gravel road on the hillside, not an easy task for any driver), then it was our turn (literally!).

The bus backed up, then we heard some screeching, rumbling noises. Bus driver (female): "Oh, my battery compartment door just opened up, and I scraped it off. Just a moment, I'll fix it." She got out of her seat, took off one of her boots, took out the shoelace, and went around the bus to tie the door back in its place. I was wondering how long the bus would last without a battery?

Driver came back, smiling, with two boots without laces. She got into her seat, and then, with a "Hang on, everybody!", she finished the turn. Sighs of relief filled the bus.

We got off the bus, lined up at the imaginary start line, and soon took off. The crowd started out really fast, while I was just trotting behind, taking it lightly. Soon I was in almost last place, together with my running buddy who is still recovering from last week's half marathon. I didn't mind, and I stayed with my buddy for about 2 miles. Then I ran a bit faster, passed the water station at mile 3, let the two yellow schoolbuses pass, enjoyed the cool light drizzle, and was surprised to see mile 4 come up quickly. I managed to reel in a few runners, but not many. Everyone seemed to be having a strong day.

For the last two miles, I decided to pick up the speed a bit again and caught up with the group ahead of me. When I passed Marty, whom I know from group runs with the club, he said to me: "Catch that 93!" (The runner ahead of me was wearing a shirt with the number 93 printed on the back).

So I obliged and started to sprint, enjoying the bounce of my shoes (Brooks Ghost4), passing all 5 runners of our little group. When I approached the finish line, I heard other runners cheer, and I was not sure if there was anyone coming up from behind, so I increased my turnover and rushed over the line at full speed at 51:25 or so. I almost ran over the volunteer in the finish chute who was trying to remove the bottom part of my bib for the results.

I was happy with my time, especially as I had taken it fairly lightly. I chatted shortly with a few runners and waited for my buddy to come in, about 5 minutes after me. We were really lucky with the weather, the rain had held off for most of the race, and only now it was starting to pour. Unfortunately I could not wait for the award ceremony (I did not expect any placing, but I always enjoy seeing who has won, and how the age-grading worked out).

I had to head off home, take a shower and take DS to the birthday party of his best friend, at the bowling alley. I had my post-race party there, including some stretching and core work.

It was a fun day, and even though this race is run on the gravel roads in Rothrock State Forest, I recommend it especially for beginners who are looking into longer distances and some running in more remote areas, not just paved road.

Run for fun.

Birdwell

Congrats on your first yellow bus ride!

They're a bit on the sketchy side, aren't they?

If you ever get the chance to ride on again, try to convince everyone to move from one side to the other when going around corners.

(the bus may or may not be capable of tipping over. I was never able to prove or disprove the theory throughout middle school Evil)

nice race too!

Low_O2

Haha, that's funny about the school bus excitement. I'm glad I didn't have to ride one to school everyday!

Nice job on the race! There is something very appealing about running a 10k, the pain is over much quicker than in the longer races. Smile

Sandy-2

Everybody sing !!!!  " ... The wheels on the bus go round and round ... "  Big grin

Sounds like a great run and fun adventure!!

Congratulations.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

Love that 2/3 of the RR is about the bus.  I walked to school (uphill both ways Big grin)  for K-8 and rode/drove a car in HS.  My first bus ride was for a HS field trip, and I remember looking forward to the ride.

Glad the race went well for you.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Very nice.  Yellow School buses really aren't all that great.  Just saying... (insert bus story) - Fire on the Mountain 50k in Maryland - they bus everyone from the finish line (middle of nowhere field) to the start line (also middle of nowhere).  The roads are all curvy, hilly and narrow.  These bus drivers whipped up all around which was kinda not fun before 7 hours on the trails.  I remember the ride lasting at least 30 minutes.  ugh....and it couldn't even get up all the way to the start - we had to walk a half mile to the actual imaginary start line.

Anyways, good job.  Enough of this speed work and get back to training for OC.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

RabbitChaser

Sounds like a fun race! Congrats on finally getting to ride on a yellow bus.

Ultra Cowboy

That is a great 10k time, I have a 250 ft elevation gain route around the block at home and I've never come close to anything in that pace range...

Sounds like a great race series for beginners and pros alike.

My Bus story..

I can still smell the Pleather (Plastic leather) bench seats and remember Spring days fussing with the sliding windows to get them down for some air circulation.  I only had to ride the bus 1987-1990 before I got my license.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Daydreamer1

Oh the memories of riding the school bus. Fun, boring and exciting, all at the same time. Everything from fighting because someone insulted my little brother, to finding a seat with two girls Cool, to being labeled as a juvenile delinquent by the demented driver.

One year we started off with a driver who was abusive and tried to get all of the older kids thrown off the bus. He ended up getting fired and we got another driver. She was the 'enforcer' for the district. All of 4' 8" tall. Both stern and fun loving was she, with a big heart. Had basic common sense rules that you followed or else, and I mean "or else". But boy did we have fun. We had the only bus in the district that was decorated for Christmas, I  even remember a small plastic tree with all the trimmings.

It was a tradition to sneak water guns on board for the last day of the year. Of course this was totally forbidden by the district. They systematically searched every bus in the district; except ours because no one, and I mean no one, messed with her bus, including the administrators. She devised a plan, we followed the rules, and the last day we were rewarded with a huge water battle on the way home. Just envision 40 screaming kids, all armed with water implements of destruction, crammed in a full sized bus with buckets of water for our reloading pleasure. We just couldn't shoot her. Oh the memories.

Of course that was back in the early 80s. These days that would get us all arrested as terrorists.