Trailer Trash

Hyner 25k (Race Report) (Read 32 times)

Brian Runner

http://www.briankunkle.com/2014/04/hyner-view-trail-challenge-2014-race.html

Some of you may have already seen this, but I thought i'd give it its own thread.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job to you and Maria.  She's way too happy in those pictures, looks like she's hooked on trail running.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Brian Runner

Thanks. Yes, she's way too happy. That seems to be the case with most of my female friends who ran the race. The ladies always seem to have smiles on their faces. Maria insists that "the hills were not that bad," and is itching for her next challenge (she wants to do Rothrock 30k). Can you believe that Hyner was her first trail race (other than a little tame 4k). I'd been running for 6 or 7 years before I had the guys to try Hyner. I think if she gets more training under her belt she might kick my butt...

Daydreamer1

Maria insists that "the hills were not that bad," and is itching for her next challenge (she wants to do Rothrock 30k).

Rothrock is a great race, at least in my opinion.  I like it better then Hyner.  I'm going to miss it this year as I'll be just getting back from vacation that day.

Have you thought about running the Call of the Wilds Marathon this August?

Brian Runner

Have you thought about running the Call of the Wilds Marathon this August?

Its a possibility. My racing plans are really disorganized this year so we'll see what happens..

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Brian - glad you did not skip it this year.  Sounds like a wonderful day on the trails and pretty fast too.  50k next year for sure right?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

Brian - glad you did not skip it this year.  Sounds like a wonderful day on the trails and pretty fast too.  50k next year for sure right?

Thanks. I'd love to take a crack at the 50k course, but i'm gonna try not to get my heart set on it too early. This past winter things really fell apart.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Thanks. I'd love to take a crack at the 50k course, but i'm gonna try not to get my heart set on it too early. This past winter things really fell apart.

I completely related to your winter training issues, I'm a little north of you in Mass. I had an April race on the agenda

and training was going great until about January, then is just became a PITA to get the long runs in. Smart move

on your part to drop down to the 25k. Thanks for the report.

Brian Runner

The previous winter went great for me. I was all set to build on 2013's fitness in 2014, but the cold and the snow just wouldn't let up in Jan and Feb. Its not as if it was impossible to run, but as you said... getting those long runs quickly became a pain...

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Great job, congratulations! Nice time, too.

I love and hate the Hyner at the same time, don't really know what to make of it. I ran the 50k twice. I liked the hills and lots of ups and downs, but hated that trudge along the creek with the huge rocks/boulders.

Rothrock is easier with shorter hills and some more runable sections than Hyner, but harder because of the longer distance and lots of running on very technical trails.

Run for fun.

muppy

Sounds like you had a great time, congratulations!

This winter did suck, hopefully next winter will be much better for you!

SheCan

Congratulations to you on this race, and your speedy time.

Also, congratulations to Maria!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Brian Runner

Rothrock is easier with shorter hills and some more runable sections than Hyner, but harder because of the longer distance and lots of running on very technical trails.

Maria wants to do Rothrock, so i guess we're going to do it. After that my eyes are now on Call of the Wilds Mountain Marathon, which will be going on same time and place as the first Eastern States 100

Brian Runner

Sounds like you had a great time, congratulations!

This winter did suck, hopefully next winter will be much better for you!

Thanks

Brian Runner

Congratulations to you on this race, and your speedy time.

Also, congratulations to Maria!

Thanks.