Trailer Trash

Injury Bug Bites (Read 43 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

It seems like a lot of people here are going through injuries right now so I wanted to open the door to conversation about it.

1. What hurts?

2. What caused it?

3. What's the prognosis?

Not injured?

Do you do anything special to prevent injury?  Any other keys to success?

I started this thread for selfish reasons, so here goes:

1. Right knee (I can feel inflamation when I massage just above and just below the knee) and right calf (soreness, but more than usual).

2. This started when I did a fartlek type run that included a session of hill sprints (Knee pain...new to me).  It felt fine the next day until ~4 mi in when it started hurting again...again on an uphill.  I successfully (maybe) ran through the pain and it went away.  I took 3 days off.  Felt the pain again at mile 7 of an ill-advised uptempo 13.1 miler, which I finished...the last 6 were at a good clip.  The pain seemed to go away after I initially felt it, but hurt after the run.  I blame: too much fast paced running, switching to a heavy dose of road running, adding in cycling, hard efforts in bodyweight exercises...lump it together and I was doomed for injury.  At the heart of it is my inability to reign in my ambitions...I feel like I should be bomb proof...I am not

3.  I'm planning on taking off most of this week, building back slowly, and doing a recovery week next week.  It doesn't feel like this will be a lasting thing, but we'll see.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

Aren't most threads started for selfish reasons?

I'm not currently injured but have had an annoying tightness in my achilles near my right heel. I don't consider it an injury unless it prevents me from running or it impedes my ability to run well. I've run well in a few races since it became an annoyance, so I can't really consider it an injury.

My last injury was in the fall of 2010 and I consider myself very fortunate to be on a heathy streak.

I have no scientific basis for my theory regarding why I don't get injured. But I honesty think it's because I do about 50% of my training on roads. I've always suspected that trail running exclusively can lead to a higher rate of injury. I would suggest that 25 road miles will strengthen and condition your joints and connective tissue more than 25 trail miles will because the surface is more forgiving when you run on dirt. When you run on dirt exclusively, or predominantly, you're body isn't getting the same beating that you would on a trail. Essentially, making it weaker than if you had run a more brutal surface.

And because most of us don't do 50+ mile training runs while training for a 50 or 100 mile race, we aren't simulating the abuse of those longer distances during training. I think running on roads helps me simulate that abuse.

Having said that, running trails is essential if you want to race on trails and perform well. A lot of the elements of trail races can never be duplicated in a road running environment.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'd rather not talk about it.

But I will only if you promise to drop a bomb on this thread hoping that the explosion will also take away all injuries.

1.) My feet

2.) I don't know how I did it.  It wasn't just one run, or falling, or one event.  It showed up after a 2-month increase in mileage in 2012.  Since then it's been evolving.  I have been to a PT and am still going.  I now have custom orthotics.  I have paid more money to resolve this than I care to mention.  If this had occurred when I started running, I would have just quit.  But since I had 4 good years of running to compare it to, I want to get it right.

3.) Jury is still out on my prognosis.  I am optimistic some days while other days I just want to throw in the towel.  It's kinda like an old car.  You wrestle with how much money to put into it before it's not worth it - just buy a new car.  The difference is I can't get new feet.  Worst case scenario is I stop running.  Best case is I can slowly recover and get back to running longer races and training runs and mileage.  Maybe I stop with the wishes of longer distances and stick to just running low mileage and short races.  I don't know.

(now blow it up...)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I was running for 4 years completely injury free before I got hit.  Then I got hit hard.  If anyone has dealt with something for over a year and managed to recover from it, I'd love to hear your story.

1. What hurts?

Left side of my groin, right where your leg meets your pelvic region.  The pain has ranged from a dull ache to sharp, stabbing, twinges.

2. What caused it?

No one can tell me.  I've been told overuse, but who knows.  Yes, it did not help that I continued to run through the pain for a lot of 2012.

3. What's the prognosis?

I don't know.  I've had MRIs, X-rays, been through sports med, physical therapy, and had Active Release Therapy and Graston done through my chiropractor.  It's been a year now and I'm still having pain and running VERY low miles.  I took 4 months completely off from November 2012 - February 2013.  I think I'm just broken at the ripe old age of 30.  Who wants to donate to my Mandy needs a new bicycle fund?

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Not injured here, just still some recovery of twisted ankles going on. So I know what caused it. Prognosis: Will heal up sooner or later on its own.

I am rarely injured from overuse, and I attribute it mainly to doing fairly few road miles (but doing some, mostly on gravel roads), and to doing not much or intense cross-training. I am not sure, but I sometimes have the impression that too much cross-training (emphasis on too much/intense) hurts more than it helps because it creates some imbalance between muscles/tendons/ligaments.

Don't get me wrong on that, the occasional or even everyday commute bike ride won't hurt you, but if the cross training gets almost as intense as the running (of which we tend to do a bit more than the average runner), it might just be too much load on the body. Perhaps then some muscles (the ones which are strengthened more by the cross activity) pull more than their not-so-well-trained counterparts, which then impairs the biomechanics and leads to overload and pain.

But that's just a suspicion of mine, not substantiated by any science or other people's experiences, and I am also aware that some people can take a lot of intense different activities, while others are more sensitive and feel pain much sooner.

Probably some balance between running and other activities, depending on how your body reacts, the overall load, and the sensitivity toward monotonous movements (now we're back to just running/no cross activities again) are key factors.

Run for fun.

muppy

Well just got back from the PT, she says I have a strained groin. Not sure how it happened, was walking into work a few weeks ago and felt a sharp pain in my leg. Some days it's not so bad and I can run fine, other days its painful.

I do mix up my running on trails, road and rail trail, to vary the surfaces, so not sure if that has anything to do with it?

RabbitChaser

RabbitChaser

Hmmm, my reply appears as a blank response. Here's a condensed version:

No running injury, just issues I believe to be caused from fatigue. I have also been fighting cramping issues during the last half mile of my two HM's this year. I think I'll start using S!CAPS again to see if it fixes the issue.

Bigger issue: Pain near left elbow

Cause: I believe it was caused by shoveling 30-36" of snow in a 3 week period while only being able to use my left arm (in recovery from rotator cuff surgery in the right shoulder).

Treatment: Just purchased an elbow brace/wrap and an icepack that will wrap securely around the elbow. I will also mention it to my surgeon during a follow-up appointment on Tuesday.

Eric

dpc3

Oh now you're just being Sarcastic!

But I will only if you promise to drop a bomb on this thread hoping that the explosion will also take away all injuries.

dpc3

No injuries just some nagging tightness and soreness, this race horse might need to be put out to pasture!

In all seriousness:

- my lower back is tight which is due to tight hamstrings and weak core I am guessing. Simple fix, more stretching / foam roller and core work

- right ankle pain every once in awhile. This is tied to my lower back, I herniated a disc or two which causes mild pain down my legs and affects my ankle once in awhile.

- And finally my feelings are hurt I need a hug!

Have a good one all

Birdwell

It seems like a lot of people here are going through injuries right now so I wanted to open the door to conversation about it.

1. What hurts?

2. What caused it?

3. What's the prognosis?

1. My motivation

2. Knee and foot problems

3. Fairly decent, though hurt motivation has caused an increase in my pie and ice cream consumption.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Nice short article on desk jobs not helping with injuries by Ellie Greenwood

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/05/when-a-running-injury-is-not-a-running-injury-at-all.html

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/05/when-a-running-injury-is-not-a-running-injury-at-all.html

I'll read this later. I have way too much crap piled on my desk right now and I'll probably be stuck here all day working through it.

dpc3

So I am in the clear since I have a stand-up desk right?

Sandy-2

No injuries here.  But I did have that ankle thing earlier this year, so I'll fill out your "form".

1) Ankle tendonitis.

2) running over rocks, roots and holes that were hiden under fallen leaves.

3) It took about 3 months but it's all better now.

Injury prevention?  I think stretching before and after runs helps.  Doing a little cross training to strengthen the core/lower back.  Most of all, listen to your body when it tells you to take it easy and rest.

I'm also just dropping in to say that I hope you all get it figured out and back running soon.

tbd.