Trailer Trash

Manitou's Revenge (Read 58 times)

Brian Runner

video: http://vimeo.com/69226209

Some folks I know just ran this truely nasty new 56 mile race in the Northeastern Catskills. Apparently its so gnarly it has a 24 hour cutoff. Check out the video.

From the website: "

This is a grueling, gnarly, nasty course with approximately 12,000 ft. of climbing, much of it rocky and precipitous.  To be sure, there are some runnable sections, but you will more often find yourself hiking uphill or down, sometimes hand over hand.  Expect this course to take you much longer than your average 50 miler. That’s why we are allowing 24 hrs. to complete this monster. Because of its remote and difficult nature, there will of necessity be a limited number of aid stations, 8 or 9, and runners should be prepared to spend up to 3 or 4 hrs between aid stations. You will have to be reasonably self-sufficient. To make matters worse, the course gets progressively more difficult as you go along! And to top it all off, the average runner will have to tackle this hardest terrain in the dark.

So…  There must be something that makes this race worthwhile, right???

Yes, the Catskills are truly scenic and wonderful, when you can look up every now and then to sneak a peak, and this will certainly become a memorable experience for anyone who takes on the challenge."

race website: http://www.manitousrevengeultra.com/

Trail Monster

This is definitely getting added to my to do list!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Brian did you really have to share this!?! I think I like.  From the description, it sounds like adding a crazy technical 25 miles onto Hyner's 50k.  Wow.  That's very tempting.  I agree with Banshee - add to the list.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

One of my friends was talking to Ashley Moyer (1st woman, 3rd overall Hyner 50K, women's winner TNF Bear Mountain) and I guess she said it was the hardest race she'd ever done.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

That race speaks to me...it's saying "James...run a 50 miler and get yourself qualified to run me in 2014".  The Long Path starts in Fort Lee, NJ and I frequently run a section of it there...I've always wanted to through hike it...never imagined I could run 56 miles of it.  The guy who won is from Fort Lee.  This is now officially on the radar, thanks for sharing Brian.

**Ask me about streaking**

Trail Monster

That race speaks to me...it's saying "James...run a 50 miler and get yourself qualified to run me in 2014".  The Long Path starts in Fort Lee, NJ and I frequently run a section of it there...I've always wanted to through hike it...never imagined I could run 56 miles of it.  The guy who won is from Fort Lee.  This is now officially on the radar, thanks for sharing Brian.

Come do Baker in August! Wink I guess I'm already qualified for Manitou 2014 but this is my rolling pin year for Baker so I'm still doing it.

And as an aside, the first woman ran the same time as my first and slowest 50+ miler. That's scary!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Come do Baker in August! Wink I guess I'm already qualified for Manitou 2014 but this is my rolling pin year for Baker so I'm still doing it.

And as an aside, the first woman ran the same time as my first and slowest 50+ miler. That's scary!

You may be a banshee but you sing a Siren's song

**Ask me about streaking**

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Guess I need to find a 50 miler to run.  Big grin

DigDug2

Great details from the winner's race report:  http://runonfruit.com/tag/denis-mikhaylov/

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

The RRs from the 1st and 2nd place finishers make this "race" sound absolutely wicked.  And looking at the times of those who breezed through Hyner (Askley Moyer, Jesse Johnson, and others), this has to be a crazy course.  The RRs talk about a 9.5 mile section that took 3 hours (and these are the fastest two).

So why do I (and apparently some of you) feel intrigued by such a sick sick course?

Brian Runner

So why do I (and apparently some of you) feel intrigued by such a sick sick course?

Its probably some sort of mental disorder... but not a bad one to have as far as mental disorders go! hehe!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Brian - are you considering doing this next year?

And I meant to ask - what kinds of comments did your friends make about the course?

Snowdenrun

That looks like an awesome, painful adventure.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

cause we're all sick people

Brian Runner

Brian - are you considering doing this next year?

And I meant to ask - what kinds of comments did your friends make about the course?

Probably not in the cards for me next year. One friend (who has also done Hyner 50k) did it as his first 50M+ race. Said it was a great event and that he had a beer at the second aid station. Another one of my running club members is friend's with Ashley Moyer who told him that its the toughest course she's ever run on. Others are saying its the toughest 50M race on the east coast.