Trailer Trash

Where the Hell is Spring Mondaily! (Read 36 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Morning Trailers.  Hope everyone had a great weekend.  SRD today.  Ran the Naked Bavarian 20 miler yesterday as my last long run before my GC trip.  Course was just over 21 miles and finished in 3:38.24.  Ran the first 5 miles with DW and she told me to go (after 29 years of marriage, you listen).  She finished in 4:12.xx.  Cool day with some mud, some ice and some snow.  First time I've run at Blue Marsh Lake with no leaves on the trees, and boy was it beautiful  Could see the lake for about 2/3 of the run.

Short RR - Started slow, picked up pace, passed a lot of people in last 6 miles. Lost shoe in mud 1 time. 1 gentle fall while I was looking at the lake.  Finished strong up the last big climb and passed 5 people on the last hill (which doesn't usually happen for me uphill).  Ate German food. Didn't see T&C there. The end.

QOTD:  What is your next race / pace / volunteer / adventure ?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

some call me Tim

Good morning, all. Sounds great, AT!(And I can relate to that 'go, just go! you're irritating me with how easy this pace is for you!'). SRD here, too. The fam went out to a maple sugaring operation (and pancake house!) yesterday, and it was interesting talking to the guy running the evaporator; he was saying usually they're done the first or second week of April, but he's hoping for another 4 weeks because spring is fully a month late this year. It's one thing to have that idea after a long winter, but it was neat to have it confirmed by someone whose livelihood depends so much on the transition from winter to spring.

qotd: Boston

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Good morning.  It's good because I am living.  Middle of last week I had the following symptoms (can you guess what I had)? diarrhea, severe dehydration, legs cramps, severe fatigue, hallucinations, sleeplessness, inability to be comfortable for days, lightheaded, inability to eat or keep down most liquids.  Sounds like a 100 miler right? Unfortunately no.  A stomach virus hit me harder than I have ever been hit.  Just got out of bed yesterday after 4 days.  Wasn't the flu just a 24 hour bug but it was the dehydration that near killed me.

So no running for me.  I feel like I have taken a few steps back with this.  Wondering how long before I am back where I was (which was making good progress).

QOTD: On that note, I do not know.  I would love to run a race in the fall (50 miles or longer) but unclear if I will be able to.  We'll see.  I am trying to build one month at a time.

AT - I was thinking about you guys yesterday.  I was close to signing up for the 20 miler even up to the deadline (wed) but I was truly in 12-15 mile shape and not 20.  Little did I know what would come just hours later anyways.  Sounds like a good event.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

SRD. Is it me or has this month been LONG?

qotd: RATS (race across the sand) trail running festival in Fruita, CO. (Near western border next to Utah.) Ran it a couple years ago, nice course following the Colorado River and the cliffs above it. Doing the marathon distance.

XtremeTaper

Good morning all.. they say spring is coming this week. I'll believe it when I see it. Cold chilly runs with gloves this past weekend. Not awfully cold, just not what one expects in spring. Seems it was this way last year too if I recall. Friday had a brisk 7 trail miles at Coventry Woods, Saturday I did somewhat of a race simulation at French Creek running 3 x 7.x mile loops at what I like to call my forever pace, and then Sunday was a muddy and messy 7 miles on the trails of Green Lane reservoir. The lake over there is still frozen! Crazy. It's almost April.

I've had 3 pretty big weeks of training and am ready for an easy week. I believe tonight will just be 6-7 on the trails with the dog. Most of the week will be like this. They say 50's today. It doesn't seem like it will get there but it's still morning.

QOTD: I am doing a 12 hour run in Inverness FL on 4/11. It's a 4.8 mile trail loop. I expect to melt in the heat but we'll see. I'd like to get a 100k but fear I am not ready for warm temps.

AT Runner - Nice job at Blue Marsh! I've only been out there once this year so far due to the snow.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Morning folks.  rest day for me.  I have some serious garden work to do so the upper body will be getting a workout later.

Blarg-- my sister taps her trees in southern NH.  Usually they are pretty much done by now.  This year, it has barely started.   I don't know what this means for my personal maple syrup supply.

AT- Congrats to you (and DW)!

Jamie-- DS had that bug, but his lasted less than 12 hours.  Sorry to hear that yours went on for so long.  Here's hoping for a quick recovery and you're out on the trails asap.

qotd:  NorthFace trail HM in 3 weeks.  I've barely been able to get good miles in on the trails, so we'll see how this goes.  Spring has come here (barely) so things are changing for the better.

muppy

5.3 road and trail miles last night.

AT and Mrs AT, congratulations on a nice race.

Jamie I hope you're feeling better! I got hit by that virus a month ago. I was in bed for two days straight and lost about 12 pounds.

QOTD   I was hoping on doing endless summer, a six hour run in Annapolis Maryland in July.  The problem is my body is not getting healthy.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Still at work, but hoping to get in a nice run later.

AT and Mrs. AT: Congrats, nice job!

Jamie: sounds really bad. A friend of DD had it last week, she spent a day or two at the hospital. They suspected salmonella, but I don't know what the tests said. I hope you'll recover quickly.

QOTD: probably Massanutten 100 on May 16. Holding rank 17 on the wait list, but there's considerable movement, so I might get in.

Perhaps the 11-mile Tussey Teaser early April in between.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD:  R2R2R on April 13th, then Sole Challenge 24hr May 23-24.

blargendarg - Initial plan was to run WITH DW since my primary goal was to avoid any injuries and get in one last 20 miler.  We've been running together for almost 25 years, and she was having a bad start to the race, so when she said "go, get out of here", I knew better than to question her.  She recovered and finished strong with a smile.

XT - I actually thought I might see you yesterday.  Conditions were very nice.

Jamie - Get better, 4 days is a long haul with a flu virus.

Muppy - That race sounds nice.  July in Annapolis cold be pretty hot.  Any thoughts to Labor Pains 12hr this year?

Couch - Moving on up that list.  Looks like it might just happen. Fingers crossed for you.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

Muppy - That race sounds nice.  July in Annapolis cold be pretty hot.Any thoughts to Labor Pains 12hr this year?

AT, I originally was planning on it, my goal was a 6,then 12, then a 24 hour run in November. The groin muscle I pulled a year or two ago is aggravated again. So now my goal is just to run and have fun!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Got up and walked the dogs...I am going to run my five at lunch.

QOTD: I have a half marathon planned 04/11on a fun little local trail.  Was cruising the races last night.  I really need to sign up for something.  Thinking of biting the bullet and signing up for a 50 miler in Marquette Mi.

AT Runner:  Nice race and sweet report.

Jame:  Dam that sounds awful...glad you are better.  How much weight did you lose?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Took a nap after getting home from work. Now I need to wake up, then finish a few chores around the house. After that I'll head out for a road run. Don't have enough time to get up on the mountain. I'm hoping to get in 8+ miles.

QOTD:  Hyner 25k. I'm going for a PR in it. Shouldn't be too difficult. The first time DS did it with me and cramped so we walked too much at the end. The second time I had a bad ankle and did more of a fast hike then a run.

NorthernHarrier

Did a 5 miler around the hood and then took the pups out for some field work.  Pretty nice around here so I am gonna hop on the bike for some road miles as I try to ease back into bike shape. If I have any energy left I hope to do another run on the single track out at Lodi this evening. A good, full day.

boyjame--sounds awful. My manager at work was really sick this past week but was still working and I was trying to keep my distance and washing my hands like I had OCD.    BTW--15 mile shape sounds like Rothrock shape....

Blarg and runtrail--I usually tap trees every other year but didn't this year as I was in Florida. Luckily I have at least 40 pints of syrup sitting on a shelf.Just out of habit I watch the temps for up at my place and based on years of personal records sometimes what we look at as a late spring isn't so for the trees. I would normally set my taps around Mar. 15th and this year based on the weather it would have been Mar. 12th despite it looking like it was still winter. Sometimes it's a short but "sweet run" and sometimes it lingers but once you get into mid April it is generally done. Even if the weather looks good for it the Maples are starting to bud and the sap while still running becomes bitter. Sometimes the large operations keep going to get more volume but the quality is poor. Also as soon as you string a few 50+ degree days in a row it can be over even if it started late.  A very fickle production but man is it a great spring time thing.  The old hippie I went to Wyoming with lives right near my place and taps over a hundred trees, I'll send him an email and see how it's going.

QOTD--iola 15k trail run the end of April and two weeks later the Ice Age 50k.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hiya guys!  I'm taking a SRD today.  Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do my first bike commute of the year this week or if I want to keep wussing out.  The mornings are still cold, but the afternoons should be nice.

QOTD: I'm technically registered for a 5K on Saturday.  Not sure if I'll go or not.  I'm certainly not going to jog it, so it's either race or DNS.  Later in the month I'm sweeping the last 25K of the Chippewa Moraine 50K.  Not an ultra, but I'll be happy to re-integrate myself into the ultra community in some capacity.

Running is dumb.

Ugh to this late spring! I potholed around for a little over 3 miles on the backyard trails and called it quits. Probably at least another week on the roads for me.

congrats on a great race AT. Nice you got to do a chunk of it with the wifey. But you're right... When we say just go, we mean it.

QOTD: I'm running the Dirty Kiln 5 miler this weekend.  Then Hyner 25k! (Which will undoubtedly be a PR because it's my first time . Shooting for a sub 4 though)