Trailer Trash

Steamy Saturdailly (Read 228 times)

runfastandie

Hi All- Prepping for my first 50K!  Sipping steamy coffee and frothy milk.

Still trying to decide if I'll bring my vest or handheld.

I have no idea what I'm wearing.

This is not lending itself to a relaxing pre-race routine.

What's everyone up to?

QOTD:  If you know you won't meet the cut off- do you keep running until they pull you or do you stop short?

And for you speed demons that "have never been pulled"  what WOULD you do?  No need to brag about how you win every race now people.

Andie

runfastandie

qotd:  Not a speed demon but I've not had to deal with cut offs yet.  Today there is no cut off until after a 9 mile loop with 1700ish elevation (20 miles in).  I'll pretty much know going into it how close I am. 5 miles after the loop is another cut off then 5 miles to the finish. Rain is forcasted by the day's end so I better run fast and furious! High of 50.  No idea what to wear. Arg 

FurShirtFlyer

Planning an easy 4 miles today. I get to try out my new shoes. I just got a pair of Altra Instincts.

QOTD: I would keep running until they pulled me.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

have a 13 mile loop planned for today, 6 miles of it will be virgin territory Smile

qotd- keep running!

good luck w/ the race, looking forward to your RR 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

6 miles with the local trail running club (around 18 or so).  We collected a pile of goodies for our annual Toys for Tots drive.

Run fast:  If the race is supported, I'd use a handheld if I think I can make it between aid stations on a single bottle.  Of course, if I fall and the top pops off, or an aid station runs out of water, I'm going thirsty.

QOTD:  Definately pushing through, unless they have already started unmarking the course ahead of me.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

sugnim

5K race lighted by candles last night--very fun.

I woke  up with a pounding headache & unless it quits, my usual Saturday long run will be a Sunday long run this weekend.

QOTD:  Keep running for sure.

runfastanddie: Good luck on your first 50K--that's fantastic!

Been awhile but I found you all!  Just waiting till high noon to sign up for the Ice Age Trail Race in WI, if I get in plan is 50k.

AT-runner

Tim

Good afternoon trail folks.

DW and I got in a nice 2 hour trail run.  She took a pretty good fall about 1/2 mile from the car on the way back.  Skinned knee but otherwise OK.  Made us think that most of our good falls seem to happen when we can almost see the car.  It doesn't matter if section is easy or technical, somehow we drop our guard and then splat. 

QOTD:  I've only had to deal with cut-off concerns 1 time, and I kept plowing on and made it on an otherwise bad day.  I told myself to just keeping moving until someone said I had to stop.  You never know what will happen.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Good luck to everyone racing today. Can't wait for some RRs. Everyone else enjoy your runs. I got in 12 on a local trail with some friends.

qotd: never give up....never surrender, until they pull you.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Looks like I'm late today checking in.

My belly was acting up on yesterday's run, so I decided to make it a rest/strength training day today. That strength training is just so painful, I don't like it at all. Good thing it's over quickly!

QOTD: I was worried about cutoffs in all my ultras, but each time it turned out this was unneccesary. However, you never know what might come along that day. I'd keep running until I'd get pulled, or the sweep got me. That being said, I might give up early if there was a serious reason for me not making the cutoffs, like hypothermia, injury, heat exhaustion, or such.

Good luck to the racers. Looking forward to the RR's!

Run for fun.

Trail Monster

Andie, how far apart are the AS? I take my handheld if its 7 miles or less (20 oz will last me 90-ish minutes). If further I take my vest. For a 50k I would almost certainly go handheld since you shouldn't need to carry much nutrition.

FSF, hope you love the Altras. I'm on my second pair and just applied to be an ambassador. I love their shoes!

Mtwarden, have a great 13!

Jb, awesome of you to help out a charity! High five!

Sugnim, hope the headache eases up for you!

R61, good luck!

AT, glad DW is okay! Nice run!

Tmot, great 12!

QOTD: Never faced cutoffs yet. I would like to think I wouldn't give up.

complete rest day for me. Going for a massage and just relaxing. Tomorrow is 15 with DH and some friends. 

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

FTYC, hope your tummy behaves today!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Birdwell

18 in the snowy, sagebrush covered foothills this morning. I was trying to figure out my MOF (mosey along forever) pace. I mixed in a bit of walking (all the big uphills). had around 2300' of elevation gain. It felt pretty good for the first 3 hours, but I fell off a bit after that. 

In hindsight, I should have spent more time on these trails over the summer. trying to find my was in the snow and dark caused me to get a bit "misdirected" for an hour or so. 

On my way to the trail, I got to see every police, fire and sheriff vehicle in our entire county at the local Walmart parking lot, with lights and sirens blaring. I think it was "Shop with a Cop" day, where they take some of the disadvantaged kids and get them Christmas presents. The sirens were  little annoying though. The Walmart backs up to the BLM land I was running. It took a little while to get away from the noise. 

QOTD: Run until they pull you. If you start, you owe it to yourself to give it all you've got, injuries notwithstanding. 

Ultra Cowboy

RFA-

I go into any race with the mind set that I will run, jog, walk, crawl, etc. until they tell me to stop.  I have the hope that will occur a few feet beyond the finish line. 

I have DNF'ed one race where at the 4 mile point I realized I was not going to finish an 18 miler in a timely manner.  I waited for the companion who was in the 7 miler (also my ride) I ran the rest of the 7 mile course back to the start.  Since then I have always made sure I had the rest of the day unscheduled to allow me to finish what I started. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

Uh oh... now what?

The wind is driving the rain horizontal. The attacking dogs are still in charge of the park. We will go to the next park north.

Hi everyone... I gotta get up earlier to do this.

jbyram2: If the folks pulling the course markings are in front of you, something has gone wrong. They are not supposed to let anyone be behind. They are the course sweeps and the last ones through.

QOTD: An almost working definition:  Leaving an aid station knowing you will not

make the cut-off time at the next aid station is often called "timing out", i.e., I'll time-out at the next aid station.

I don't think it is bragging to talk about not needing to worry about the cut-off times. There will eventually be a race that turns into a run and then to a survival shuffle and finally a death march with all the downside trimmings.

At a trail 50-miler that I had been in the top-ten finishers the years before I was having trouble. By the thirty-two-mile aid station I felt I could finish, but the 30-minute cushion on the cut-off shrunk with each aid station I passed. I collected two deader-than-me runners and we fought it out to the end, finally settling for a hand-holding DFL three-way tie.

My wife, after her hip-replacement surgery, had to start taking time into account. The races she had won were years gone by, but she was still going out on the trails, still entering runs. We just looked at runs with more generous cut-off times or the one-hour early start.

At CC100 this year I wanted to drop at 24ish miles in. My supervisor gave me a BLT and said go (a lot more words than that... ). I left thinking I had three hours to get to the next aid station. About three miles from the next cut-off point I found out there was 3½ hours. If I had know about that other thirty minutes earlier I might have made it--get the mind-set needed, stuff like that... doubtful, but make sure you know the times as you go.