Trailer Trash

RR - Ugly Mudder 7.25 mile Reading PA (Read 39 times)

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Overall a nice hilly race, with sunny beautiful weather around 44 *F.  After checking in and getting dressed, I jogged around the parking lot to warm up, then took the 1/2 mile walk to the start line, and continued to warmup by jumping over various trees and branches.  Took a fall during practice when I tried to jump a stream.. It was crowded for the start, and the director took his time getting there, finally started 15 minutes late (or so it seemed).  After running arouind the lake to thin us out, we immediately had our first hill climb. It had logs and downed trees to climb over and the trail has not well defined, which led to a huge back up, but it was usually possible to run around the crowd and pass through the rough. The crowd did not let up until 3  miles or so, and even then it seemed as If I was always staring at the heels of the person in front of me.  I was able to pass quite a few on a long down hill fire road/ drainage ditch.  But of course back up we went.

The first water stop was at the top of a steep climb after about 3.5 miles.  Ran past a red and white japanese pagoda, overlooking a great view of the valley below.

Came to 2nd water stop, and noticed that there was beer on the way back.  Ran a nice muddy downhill without too many rocks in it, the best running section of the course.  Got held up at one point while a woman was picking her way down a very steep slope, without much passing room in it.  Once she got down the guy ahead of me and I both ran right down it, just a short 15' cliff of dirt (no rocks luckily)  Had a half cup of Yuengling Lager at the aid station, and a cup of water, then continued . The course was well manned, with volunteers or police officers whenever we crossed a road.  A few more cliffs, a few more climbs, and then down the hill with all the downed tree trunks on it, which seemed higher than they did on the way up.  There was some confusion when I reached a pavilion, near the start line, but the concensus was that we should go back the way we came, which turned out to be correct.  A short run down an embankment and jump off an `18" high wall onto the road, then the final run before the last climb.  The last climb was among the steepest of the day and using all fours helped.  Crowds of those who had finished were gathered on both sides to cheer us on..AHA! there is the finish and I dash into the main pavion of the Liederkranz Bier Garten at 1:36:09 (Here's a picture of the final climb, from last year (not me though))Some one else running up the final climb

Cold drinks, and the usual race fare were there, but with my bib I had recieved a breakfast ticket, so after cheering at the top of the hill for a few, I picked up a breakfast of pancakes, scrambled eggs, and coffee, and headed to the dining room.  Chatted with a few runner as we ate, and watched the band they had playing.  Changed into street clothes, and started to drive home,  but was stopped by someone in the lot..I had left my shoes on top of the car!  That's twice now I've driven off with stuff on the roof...

Finished 308th of 547, 38th of 58 in my AG.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Occasional Runner

I've run up that hill many, many times! Thanks for sharing the report.

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for the RR.  I've done that race many times as well as Ron's other creations.  I enjoy the UM course better than the Chilly Cheeks course.  In the first few years, we scrambled up the back side of the parking lot and the hill was always muddy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Ron and PCS put on a pretty good series of races.

Good times.  Good times.

With regards to the pic, I didn't know that hill was ever *not* muddy!

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Nice report! Always a good run there.

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Wow, sounds and looks like quite a challenge! Congrats on a great run!

Run for fun.