Trailer Trash

For Anyone That doesn't win every single race (Read 322 times)

runfastandie

I promise- quad dipsea race report is coming but I have to get this one off my chest.

Please PLEASE no matter how BAD or HORRIBLE of a day YOU are having, don't tell a fellow runner who is RUNNING AT YOUR BAD PACE that you are having a horrible day, that this is the worst time you've ever had, or that you can't believe how SLOW you are running.

Angry

It just makes people feel bad.  If you want sympathy, why don't you ask the other person what kind of day they are having? If they grunt and grovel and groan then join the pitty party. But if they say they are having a great run (even if it is at your "worst ever") say good job and move along.

I had THREEE- TTHHHRREEEEEEE  different people tell me just how crappy they were doing. Thanks. THANKS!!! THANKS you mother efffers

Ok- going back to my race report that I PROMISE I won't grovel in my RR.

:-)  Happy Trails!!

Andie

Uh oh... now what?

Who were you racing on a Thursday?

Watoni

Agreed. I was humbled in the NFEC that the 50-milers mostly cheered us 50kers when we passed on the loop. I would always say "Bravo 50-milers!" since it is easy to run faster when it is shorter. I only complained to an aid station volunteer that I felt lousy in my last race. Otherwise I kept it upbeat

runfastandie

That was from the Quad Dipsea on Saturday.  I was just venting as I was writing up my race report.

watoni- wanna run the Woodside Ramble 50K on Saturday the 15th? I'm looking for a buddy :-)  at least to start with ;-)

Did you do north face last weekend???? I would have cried- the weather was so horrific I'm certain I wouldn't have even made  the drive without $hitting my pants.

Andie

Endurance Guy

Pain cave junkie

Andie,

Some people have very shallow pain caves.  Sometimes it helps to try and pull them out of the pain that their suffering from.  You may be there someday.  Think about this, how deep is yours?  I can't tell you how many times I've helped someone across the line because they weren't able to get there on their own.  Ultra endurance is simple really, it's 70% mental and the rest training. 

"Take it to the limit one more time".  Great song by the Eagles from the album "one of these nights"

JB

ultraendure.blogspot.com

Uh oh... now what?

That was from the Quad Dipsea on Saturday.  I was just venting as I was writing up my race report.

Andie

I knew that.  I was trying to joke.  Sorry.

Ultra Cowboy

Andie,

Some people have very shallow pain caves.  Sometimes it helps to try and pull them out of the pain that their suffering from.  You may be there someday.  Think about this, how deep is yours?  I can't tell you how many times I've helped someone across the line because they weren't able to get there on their own.  Ultra endurance is simple really, it's 70% mental and the rest training. 

"Take it to the limit one more time".  Great song by the Eagles from the album "one of these nights"

JB

EG, please expand on the Pain Cave theory.  Is a deeper pain cave  more Negative , while a shallow pain cave can get more positive with good feedback?  Does it refer to mental more than Physical pain? 

Andie, I know what you mean.  I try to be positive to other people on the trail because that is how people I train with are.  Some folks are negative Nelly's.  I take the attitude with them that "HA, I'm not that down on myself.  I'm in my element.  i've been here before and I've always come through, and I'M gonna DO IT TODAY!"

WYBMADIITY

Save

runfastandie

There was this one guy I was running with the entire race- we finished the 3/4 at 5:25. I said, "this is great- 3 hours to finish the last leg. I'm totally on track,"  He said, "Don't say that, I've never run this in anything worst than 7 hours."  and went on and on how he couldn't possibly do over 7 and how terrible that would be.  I let him know I was NOT his girl. He took off- I'm not sure how he finished. 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Absolutely agree.

I deliberately stay positive even in the worst race situation, and try to laugh off any mishaps. Even when I feel totally crappy, at least on the outside, I try to keep my positive attitude. Eventually, the positive display will help turn around my mood and make me feel better again.

However, I did not have a very solid attitude like this in my first race, where I got impatient while trotting along in a conga line, and later complained about my fatigue. Now I'm almost ashamed of this behavior that I displayed at the time (although it was just 2 small incidences), but I've learned from it.

If I complain, it's toward volunteers or spectators, never toward runners, because I know they might be fighting just the same battle as I am and don't need any further discouragement from me. I also don't want to spoil their day, just in case they might be having a great, wonderful race, and only I don't.

I don't mind emotional outbreaks of other runners when they trip or fall or such, but if whining goes on forever, it affects me. I still have to read your report to understand what happened, but what I like a lot about trail races is just the fact that almost everyone is going through crappy phases every now and then, and has to fight it, and that you usually get positive comments and encouragement, not negative feedback or whining.

Not my business whether another runner is slower, faster, better,... than me, if he/she is just having a bad phase, a bad day, or doing absolutely well, at a faster or slower pace than me. I run my race, and everybody else should run theirs and not pull other runners down with them.

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

I have to admit that I'm guilty of this. If I'm having a bad race and somebody asks how it's going, I usually reply by saying. "I'm having a shitty run". I don't randomly volunteer anything during a race, but if I'm asked, I'll give an accurate status update to strangers. 

LB2

I hate the fucking Eagles, Man!!!!

LB2

runfastandie

Lace-up- you were asked!!! If I was asked then I'd have the same response.    For some reason these people assumed I was having a bad day too because I was going their "bad speed".  I rocked it! I had an awesome day! I was strong and kicked butt at the end.  I finished 7:13 when I had anticipated 8:30 or being cut off.  I was SPECTACULAR!!!!!

Couch- if you read my race report (long- don't feel obligated) I tell about a guy I'm running with the whole time. After 3 of 4 legs I yelled out a big excited cheer because I met my goal of leaving 3 hours for the last leg (just in case I got hurt or had to walk or something I didn't want a DNF).  I tell the guy and he looks at me in horror and says "Don't say that, I've never finished in over 7- there is no way I'm going to do that now".  I'm not sure how he got the idea I was planning on sub 7 but that was never in the cards. So I cheered him on and said, "Go get him- sprint up that hill- you got it!!!  Don't let me catch you."  He raced off- not sure of his time.

On another note (hijaking my own post).  It was so so bad/sad/ hard when people were coming down the hill and I knew they would be cut off. And everyone cheers at each other in this race and I'd cheer but I felt super guilty knowing they weren't going to make it.  

Occasional Runner

On another note (hijaking my own post).  It was so so bad/sad/ hard when people were coming down the hill and I knew they would be cut off. And everyone cheers at each other in this race and I'd cheer but I felt super guilty knowing they weren't going to make it.  

I feel the same way at the Leadville 100 while I'm coming off Hope Pass headed to the 60 mile mark and I see people still starting the ascent up Hope and I know they're not going to make the cutoff at the 50 mile mark. I asked my pacer one time if it was even appropriate to keep cheering them on when they MUST know they're not going to make it. I almost want to tell them to turn around and not take the punishment of the climb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Lace-up- you were asked!!! If I was asked then I'd have the same response.    For some reason these people assumed I was having a bad day too because I was going their "bad speed".  I rocked it! I had an awesome day! I was strong and kicked butt at the end.  I finished 7:13 when I had anticipated 8:30 or being cut off.  I was SPECTACULAR!!!!!

Couch- if you read my race report (long- don't feel obligated) I tell about a guy I'm running with the whole time. After 3 of 4 legs I yelled out a big excited cheer because I met my goal of leaving 3 hours for the last leg (just in case I got hurt or had to walk or something I didn't want a DNF).  I tell the guy and he looks at me in horror and says "Don't say that, I've never finished in over 7- there is no way I'm going to do that now".  I'm not sure how he got the idea I was planning on sub 7 but that was never in the cards. So I cheered him on and said, "Go get him- sprint up that hill- you got it!!!  Don't let me catch you."  He raced off- not sure of his time.

I had a similar experience when I was volunteering at the Tussey Mountainback 50M last year. I was working the #7 aid station, and I knew that the last few runners would not make the cutoff at the Colyer Lake aid station. Some knew it and accepted it, they just took off for their last stretch, some were disappointed when they realized they were not going to make it - but everyone still had to continue on on these last few miles to the "cutoff station". I encouraged them, but still felt very sorry for them.

Today, after having worried about cutoffs myself (but never been pulled from a race yet), I am less emotional about the topic. I guess if you are getting close to the cutoff, you pretty much know it, you might fight or just accept it, but you will deal with it and settle with the outcome. It is just a part of ultra running. It can hit anyone, for all kinds of different reasons. I think encouragement will lighten the spirit of the unlucky runner about to be pulled, and it is always good to let him/her know that they have given their best, and making the cutoffs or finishing is not everything racing is about.

Run for fun.

runfastandie

Here are the results from the quad.

http://www.run100s.com/results/qd12.htm

Can you imagine missing it by one minute!!! The cutoff was 4:00 for half way.  3 of them came in at 4:01.  Ugh.