Trailer Trash

Ever heard of Canicross? (Read 34 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

It is cross-country or trail running with your dog pulling you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cani_cross

The runner wears a hip belt which is connected to the dog through a bungee cord. The dog wears something like a sled-dog harness and pulls.

So if your dog constantly pulls on the leash, just make him into a canicross-champion!

And the nicest thing: In a 5k, canicross runners are something like 3-4 minutes faster than without the dog!

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

We are dogless now, but our old Lab would have pulled me under a tree at the first sight of a tiny critter to chase.  That dog was very ADHD.

We have a few on this forum who could do this.  TT and XT.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I have always wondered if Bella would be any good at skijoring...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skijoring

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I once did "cross-country ski-joring" (in my xc skis instead of downhill skis) with my dog. It went well for a while, then the dog started pulling me all over the place, and the joring was about to turn into a wrestling match. So I let her run beside me without a leash. Fun-loving as she was, she would always jump over, between, and onto my skis, or chase critters, and stay out of my reach by just a hand-width. I could almost see her laughing and smirking at me because she knew I could not get a hold of her.

So I secretly undid the binding of my skis, and the next time the dog jumped across my skis, I grabbed her and scolded her. The surprised look on the dog's face was unforgetable!

Run for fun.

NorthernHarrier

Yes she would be. I think you guys would be a great team.

NorthernHarrier

I once did "cross-country ski-joring" (in my xc skis instead of downhill skis) with my dog. It went well for a while, then the dog started pulling me all over the place, and the joring was about to turn into a wrestling match. So I let her run beside me without a leash. Fun-loving as she was, she would always jump over, between, and onto my skis, or chase critters, and stay out of my reach by just a hand-width. I could almost see her laughing and smirking at me because she knew I could not get a hold of her.

So I secretly undid the binding of my skis, and the next time the dog jumped across my skis, I grabbed her and scolded her. The surprised look on the dog's face was unforgetable!

I take my dogs cross country skiing all the time when we have the right temps and conditions. Some places and people frown on that but I have a couple places up north where pups are welcome. Never hooked up to me but running free. After a couple spectacular crashes into me while going downhill they learn pretty quick to get out of my way. Sadly Otto is now too old for this but Cloe is great out there. I can't have my dogs tethered when I'm out in the woods or fields --it is counter productive to their hunting/training.

FTYC,  you mention dogs that are always pulling on the leash. I always find that pretty funny to see as that is one of the easist and first lessons to teach a dog. Who's walking who? Smile

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Harrier, what surprised me a lot was how different dog handling is between Austria/Germany and America. You would think this is pretty similar, as dogs are dogs, but obviously not. I think because the humans are different. Wink

My sister had a dog who constantly would pull on the leash. She tried different collars, harnesses, those around-the-nose devices, etc., no success. All the dog trainers would tell her was to give the dog a good jerk on the leash if it started pulling. Never worked.

When I came to America and saw how dogs are trained here (e.g. simply turning around as soon as the dog starts pulling, or positive methods instead of punishment-focused training), and what effect it had on the dogs (much more willing to cooperate, friendly in general, non-aggressive), I instantly adopted those techniques, as they are just so much more effective and don't create aggressive dogs which one has to avoid if they are not their own (in Germany, if you pass by a dog who is walking with his owner, you should always be cautious...).

It was one of the biggest "Ohhhh"s in my life (and I wondered for a long time why I had not thought of some simple, positive measures myself before).

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am thinking my dog won't work for this.  She is all of 8 lbs.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday