Trailer Trash

Boston Marathon RR (Read 56 times)

Occasional Runner

It's much shorter than I would have liked but if I got rambling on about it, it would never end.

You can check it out here.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2014/04/2014-boston-marathon-trail-runners.html

Thanks!

Watoni

That was a great report and tribute to the marathon.

As for Wellesley, my hometown sweetheart that I dated in college (and beyond) went to college there, so I have been there on marathon day a few times (but never run the marathon).

runtraildc

Great report of a great race day.  And congrats on reaching your beer goal.  Thanks for sharing

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Boston is special every year, but this year there was a poignancy never before in the atmosphere. I glad you were one of the many who wanted to be there that was able to make the pilgrimage and run it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

"I let out a laugh every time a spectator yelled, "GO HAM-UH!!!" or, "YOU GOT DIS HAM-UH!!!". Without my name being visible, they could only address me by acknowledging my sponsors name, HAMMER. It took me a while to realize that's what they were trying to say. "

Okay, I laughed out loud at that.  That's hysterical.

I was tracking your uneven splits - it was pretty amusing and I figured you were out there just having a good time.  I'm glad to hear that you did.

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

"I let out a laugh every time a spectator yelled, "GO HAM-UH!!!" or, "YOU GOT DIS HAM-UH!!!". Without my name being visible, they could only address me by acknowledging my sponsors name, HAMMER. It took me a while to realize that's what they were trying to say. "

Okay, I laughed out loud at that.  That's hysterical.

I was tracking your uneven splits - it was pretty amusing and I figured you were out there just having a good time.  I'm glad to hear that you did.

If that was the only thing that made you laugh, I need to work on my presentation. Maybe you're just used to my routine by now...

I was totally unconcerned about time when I was on the course. I was far more concerned about leaving Boston without really having a chance to take it all in. Shit...I ran the wrong way on the course 4 times just to say hello to people or snap a picture of something I ran past. I made good use of my day.

Birdwell

Nice report, I especially liked the part where you swore off road races fore. . .

wait, you didn't swear off road races forever! You enjoyed a road marathon! Holy Crap!

I hope this (enjoying road races) does not become a habit.

In all seriousness, good job at a great race. That crowd sounds amazing.

I may add Boston to my dream list.

moonlightrunner

Nice report! It sounds like an awesome experience. You, sir, are a great writer. I alway enjoy reading your race reports...this one was exceptional.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Occasional Runner

Nice report, I especially liked the part where you swore off road races fore. . .

wait, you didn't swear off road races forever! You enjoyed a road marathon! Holy Crap!

I hope this (enjoying road races) does not become a habit.

In all seriousness, good job at a great race. That crowd sounds amazing.

I may add Boston to my dream list.

No...I swore off ROAD MARATHONS. I still have to get through Comrades in June before I'm finished with road races entirely.

I did enjoy the race, but mostly because of how I went into it. I chose not to write about the things that annoyed the shit out of me, largely because my race report will eventually substitute for my memory and I only want to remember what I enjoyed.

Sandy-2

Nice.  Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm curious, where did you get your qualifier? (i.e when did you fit it in to your schedule?)

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

Nice.  Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm curious, where did you get your qualifier? (i.e when did you fit it in to your schedule?)

The Provo City Marathon, last May. I was running it as a training run and a BQ wasn't even on my mind. I finished 7th overall and won my AG. I only ran 2 road marathons last year and they were on back to back weekends. I ran them both because it was our first year in Utah and the locals raved about both of them, so I signed up. I wasn't impressed by either of them.

Nice write up! I'm glad you had such a great experience even though it was a road marathon. It solidifies my goal of qualifying for 2016 (don't throw rotten tomatoes at me.)

Messenjah

Nice work Lace!! Great report as per usual!!!

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Excellent write up.  This part totally cracked me up.

I peeled off the course and accepted a plastic cup of beer. I peered inside the cup and immediately handed it back, saying, "Dude, I'm a full grown man. Fill this to the top"...which they promptly did. Then I handed it back two more times with the same request, before settling in.

I don't think they actually expected any of the runners to "hang out" with them during the race and they started to get a little antsy, reminding me about the ongoing marathon as I was attempting to drain their keg. These guys shouldn't start something if they don't intend to finish it. 

You people have issues 

SheCan

This is an excellent RR.

Hahaha@ the staying a drinking beer, and setting the timer for the Wesley girls!  The beer kinda had a trail race ring to it, but other than that, what a totally different experience.  Good for you for getting out there to honor the running community, and to take part in Boston's healing.  Even better, that you had a terrific time doing so.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson