Trailer Trash

Good luck Sue Fridaily (Read 36 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Ended up getting an evening run in yesterday.  Ran 8 miles on trail loop that I've run on for hundreds of miles. Since 98% of y runs are in the morning, it was like seeing the trail for the first time.  Te sun was in the wrong direction through the trees and areas that are always shaded in the morning were bursting with color.  It was fun rediscovering an old friend.

Sue - Best of luck this weekend. Go out slower than you think, and don't let negative thoughts get in your head. You got this, we all know you can do it. Plus that IPA waiting at the end will inspire you.

QOTD:  When I ran on the road on Wednesday, I was thinking about a close encounter I had with a vehicle.  Any "Road" stories of close encounters with car or beast?

I was run off the road once by a driver who screamed at me to get out of there way. It was an early Sunday and he and his wife were dressed like they were coming or going to Church.  I got pretty scraped up by the brush on the side of the road, since there was no shoulder. One of the reasons I hate road running.

Also 2 dog bites, but those stories will have to wait.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Good luck, Sue!  I didn't run last night.  Didn't seem like a good idea.  Maybe this weekend.   I'll get to the gym later.

qotd:  Lots, but the one that sticks out was a couple of years ago on a group run which included DS.  Car pulling out of a side street, looking left to incoming traffic to make his right turn.  Almost hit DS and another runner since we were coming in from the driver's right hand side and we all know that drivers don't need to look both ways  .  Oh, another time I had my lights on (it was dark) and a reflective vest, running directly into the driver's line of vision and STILL, the driver did not see me and started pulling into traffic!  I was lit up like a damn christmas tree.

Good luck to all the racers out there!

Daydreamer1

Need to run a few errands, then work on my shed again. At this time it looks like I'll try a 7 mile run this evening to see how the foot responds. Last night's bike ride went really well. I was able to push the speed on the uphills and topped out at 44.5 MPH on the one downhill. Good times.

QOTD: Two days ago I had a small SUV almost run a stop sign at a blind intersection. If I would have been another vehicle she would have gotten hit on the drivers front end. With the bike it wasn't real close but she had to skid to stop. Then she gave me the evil eye .  I rarely have any problems with people when I'm on the bike, other than the old people who shouldn't be driving and can't judge distances. It's pretty much the same when I'm running. I'll occasionally have a couple of redneck chicks yell bawdy comments at me when I'm on the bike .

What I have been having problems with is the dogs. The dogs in this area used to be really nice. Now they're just plain nasty, even the laid back breeds like the Golden Retrievers.   DW was bumped by an aggressive dog and  I had one run under my bike last fall. That ended up with me on my back in the middle of the road.  Several years ago I had a very large, shaggy hound chase me for at least a 1/2 mile at about 25 MPH. It was obvious he was intent on causing me harm. When I came to a upgrade where I had to slow down I came off the bike, put it between him and I and attacked him. After a brief fight he gave up. If I had been wearing road bike shoes things could have been very different as I can't walk good in those things much less maneuver.  The last 3 years I always carry some protection along with me. I won't become a easy meal for a dog.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Biked to work and will strength train this evening; had a nice run in the rain yesterday afternoon- felt refreshing. Any rain is welcome, we're sitting on a powder keg of dry forests.

Sue best of luck, confident you'll do great

qotd: don't run roads much at all, but the time I was forced to, coincidentally I got a stress fracture in my heel

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NHLA

6 miles around the mt. most of this run is on one lane roads so the only traffic are homeowners.

The roads here are narrow and curvey. Double yellow lines and no shoulders make it hard for the cars to avoid you.

Daydreamer1

qotd: don't run roads much at all, but the time I was forced to, coincidentally I got a stress fracture in my heel

I forgot you had a heel issue. What were your symptoms and how did they treat it?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Missed my run today because after work,  was talking to a friend for a while, just girls' chatting, nothing significant, but we laughed a lot. Does that count?

6 speedy miles last night.

Good luck, Sue, just be patient and enjoy the ride (or better, the run)!

QOTD: I got pushed off the gravel road into the ditch on "my" mountain one night in the rain and fog. Granted, the vision was not great, but at the speeds that cars go there (uphill), the driver should have noticed me.

After I had run up to the top and turned around, on my way down, I saw the driver hiking down the hill, too. I knew it was him because the car was parked close by, and I had seen it there on my way up. I sneaked up on him from behind, and then said loudly "Have a nice hike". This time, it was the driver who jumped (almost into the ditch).   Sweet revenge!

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good luck this weekend, Sue!! Smile

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I forgot you had a heel issue. What were your symptoms and how did they treat it?

Could put no weight on it (w/o extreme pain); basically stay off it- took 8 weeks before I could run and even then had to take it easy. I should have probably been in a boot, think it would have healed a little quicker

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Could put no weight on it (w/o extreme pain); basically stay off it- took 8 weeks before I could run and even then had to take it easy. I should have probably been in a boot, think it would have healed a little quicker

I woke up last Saturday with a very small sore sport on my heel. Not real bad but enough to know it was there. By the end of the day it was bad enough I decided not to run on it. Got worse over the next two days. I was always able to walk, just had to watch out how I put pressure on it. The heel and bottom of foot felt swollen but didn't look like it was. It's slowly been getting better and I'll try a easy run tonight to see if it flares up.  I was starting to wonder if it was a stress fracture.

AT-runner

Tim

I woke up last Saturday with a very small sore sport on my heel. Not real bad but enough to know it was there. By the end of the day it was bad enough I decided not to run on it. Got worse over the next two days. I was always able to walk, just had to watch out how I put pressure on it. The heel and bottom of foot felt swollen but didn't look like it was. It's slowly been getting better and I'll try a easy run tonight to see if it flares up.  I was starting to wonder if it was a stress fracture.

If you have something that will vibrate the heel, place it on the outside and inside of the heel and see if it reproduces pain over the area that you are having problems.  If is does, probably a stress fracture.  You can also tap on the heel, but hard to do correctly.  Doesn't take much vibration, I use a tuning fork designed to cause bone vibration, and it oscillates quickly but not overly powerful. A running dryer works if you can't find something.

Good luck.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Good advice, I found out that an X-ray was of no value as a stress fracture rarely shows up, it will show up weeks later after the bone starts knitting, but by that time you're well on your way to healing. The upside of a stress fracture that heals is that it's very (very) unlikely to ever fracture again in that area

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

Sorry, out of the loop here. What race is Sue doing? Kick ass!

I actually did my first run/walk today as part of my recovery. 2 minutes walk, 5 minutes run for two miles, then more Graston-torture at the chiro. Hopefully a ride this evening to Skyline ... once one thing goes off, everything gets out of balance. Protocol is run/walk every other day, cycling on off days.

some call me Tim

14 hours of sleep last 'night' and a difficult easy 7 today, I'm definitely battling something. Wider swaths of the home trails are drying up though, so the route varies a bit

i, too, am out of the loop, but good luck Sue!

Qotd: surprisingly I've never had a problem

AT-runner

Tim

Sorry, out of the loop here. What race is Sue doing? Kick ass!

Queen is running her first 50 miler. I have all the confidence in the world in her.