Trailer Trash

Fat Optimization runs (Read 40 times)

Messenjah

I was listening to the Ian Torrence interview on URP or TRN (I can't remember which one) and read his article on irunfar. In it he was talking/writing about doing one run every week where you just completely deplete your carb stores and teach your body to use fat as fuel. As I carry some "extra fuel" for this scenario, I have been trying to do one of my early morning runs, around 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours, once a week with just water and a cup of coffee beforehand. This morning I was absolutely wiped out and just didn't have it. My sleep was about normal as to what it normally is. I ate a pretty normal meal last night and couldn't really pinpoint anything that was "out of the ordinary".

Does anyone else use this strategy and have you ever had this happen?

XtremeTaper

I have not tried this strategy but a 1.5 to 2 hour run is really not long enough to deplete your carb stores IMHO. Well, 2 hours maybe if you are running an elite marathoner's pace might come close. I do 2 hour trail runs all the time taking nothing along but obviously not in a carb depleted state. I find the longer runs, 4-6 hours, on minimal calories, a few gels, fluids, a sandwich somewhere past the 3 hour mark work well enough for my amateurish type running/training.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Chnaiur

Ha - I guess this is what I did in my last Desolation Wilderness run. Try going out all day with mostly almond butter in the pack. That will teach you to burn fat ;-)

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

sugnim

I've always heard that if you got out with no fuel on board, you will end up burning muscle, not fat.  I've also heard that if you want to burn fat, you need to work at a moderately high effort, not too high, but at about 80% effort and you will burn fat.  I'm no expert, but that's what I've read.  I also know that if I go for a long run with no fuel on board, I feel terrible afterward.  Since I mostly run for enjoyment, I always eat a bowl of cereal & a banana before my long runs, and I sometimes eat a little pack of fruit snacks along the way.  For shorter runs of about an hour or so before work, I just have a cup of water before I go, but I always make sure to have a proper breakfast when I get back.

Messenjah

This is what he wrote on this blog Endurance Based Workouts.

2. Carbohydrate Depleting Long Runs: I recommend you do this workout first thing in the morning, because only water (coffee or tea without sugar or creamer is also allowed) and electrolytes are permitted until the run is complete. This technique teaches the body to use fuel stores more sparingly and perform more efficiently on low blood sugar. These runs are very taxing on the body and spirit, and should therefore be limited to training runs that are 3 hours or less and placed three or four weeks apart. Their use is practical in early season training when weekly intensity levels are low.

Maybe I am doing this type of thing too often? I try to do it only in the EARLY morning runs.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I've read and heard some scientific articles/radio shows on the topic, and it's just not scientifically sound.

Even if you "burn fat" because you've depleted your glycogen stores and don't take in any food, your body will replenish this fat as soon as you take in enough calories again. So the net effect is zero in the long term. Short term, I think it might work in the sense that your body will get used to using body fat sooner or more readily when no other sources (glycogen or food) are available, or if these sources are limited. So for endurance running of more than 3 or 4 hours, with little food intake, it might benefit the runner a bit.

There's also a pitfall in the theory that "slow running burns more fat": While it is true that the ratio of energy used from body fat to energy used from food or glycogen is higher with slower running, more energy overall is expended with faster running, and thus, even though the percentage might be lower, more body fat is "burned" with faster running. There is no distinct cutoff, or turnaround point, but the transition is smooth and slow, so there is no regimen where running at a slower speed (or lower heart rate) would burn more body fat than at faster speed.

I have noticed that with more longer runs, I need less food (and water), but I attribute this to me being in better shape and having more muscle and less "useless" body fat (you need a certain amount to make up for what you use on very long runs, and to be healthy), and to being better accustomed to the physical exercise, and not so much to my body "learning" any metabolism patterns. Just my theory, though, I could be wrong, too. Wink

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I run most mornings on no breakfast - even minimal water intake.  This includes my long runs.  In the winter (at least this last winter), I would go 2-3 hours with nothing (a couple sips of water).  I really can't speak for how it trained my body to use energy but it seemed to work for me.  But I have very little body fat to pull energy from so riddle me that batman.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday