Trailer Trash

Another reason trail races are better than road races.... (Read 52 times)

SillyC

Today I ran a trail marathon.  And I really killed it out there - I beat my previous time on that course by about 35 minutes, and beat ultrasignup's prediction (which I have to say was pretty fair) by 30 minutes.

I paid for it, though - I started feeling dizzy during the last mile, and by the time I crossed the finish line, I could barely keep upright.  I was staggering and had tunnel vision. Oh snap!

Now you know if this were a road race, I would have gotten an ambulance ride.  With a ridiculously high bill, and overtreated with IV's for 10 different conditions that I might possibly have, with no attempt at basic and cheap first aid.

Wanna know what I got instead?  A chair and a Coke (from a 12 pack, so $0.80), and checked on 5 minutes later.  I was fine!  I didn't eat enough on course, and while that made me a lot faster than usual for the first 25 miles, I ended up hypoglycemic by the end of the race.  Whoops!

I mean, for sure, if the coke didn't work they'd have called the ambulance.

Occasional Runner

Not sure I totally understand. Are you saying that road races force you into an ambulance and force an IV into your arm, but trail races don't? I'm not disputing this, but I've never heard of anybody claiming to be forced into anything like that. Especially due to a temporary shortage of sugar in their system.

A lot has been written about proper fueling during these shorter races. Let me know if you need any references and I can send along some info for you. Ignorance about proper fueling and hydration will lead to a DNF faster than being undertrained.

Congrats on the finish.

SillyC

No, I don't need any help.  I realized I screwed up.  In the past, I've treated my races like a trip to Old Country Buffet.  If there were course records for "most food consumed", I coulda been a contender.  It's not much of a "strategy", I just really like to eat.  It's a bad habit that dates back to my days running while pregnant and lactating - and I kinda need to break it.  Today would be an overcorrection.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I saw some ambulances and rescue teams today at OC 100.  Lots of carnage out there during the heat n humidity.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I get your point.

If you are at a trail race, and see people all banged up, bleeding, scratched up, muddy, exhausted, dehydrated, overheated, hypoglycaemic, etc., and no ambulances around, while from your road races, you are used to seeing an ambulance parked and ready to get going at least every 10 miles, and of course at the start/finish, you might think trail running is kind of atrocious and archaic. There's something to it.

However, if you get really dangerously ill at a trail race, they'll call in an ambulance for you, too, don't get that wrong. Just not on every ouch.

Run for fun.