Trailer Trash

TGIFridaily (Read 33 times)

moonlightrunner

Good morning! I am so glad it's finally here. It is going to be a great weekend. SRD for me. After work I must expose my hair to a lengthy chemical treatment on an effort to try and make me look younger than my 56 years . Tomorrow is a long and hilly training run and a day off today will hopefully help me get through what i hope will be 25 miles.

Qotd: Yesterday's thread got me thinking. We all have a song (often from our teen years)

that strikes a chord with who we were growing up. The song that when played takrs us back. What was that song for you?

For me it is Mr. Blue Sky by Electric Light Orchestra. It was a rite of spring for me on a warm day after a long winter to crank it up and revel in a beautiful day. Of course, that was pre Walkman...and I forced everyone in yhe dorm to enjoy it too.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

jonferg67

Endless trails

SRD for me today. DW and I are heading over to Martha's Vineyard for her

30 yr HS reunion. I plan to grab a few miles in the State Park tomorrow am.

Then maybe hit the beach and eat some chowda. (MM: that's the correct

pronunciation of clam chowder.)

I've drafted my resignation letter and will meet with the CEO first thing this morning.

It's time to get the hell outa Mass. and head to upstate NY, no offense to the good

people of Mass. I'm joining the ranks of Lace and will just play in the mountains

instead of going to a silly job.

NH: I've got many stories of people running aground, including when the QE2 ran

aground just south of Cuttyhunk Island in '92.

QOTD: Stairway to Heaven, Can't find my home, Back in Black, Money, Paint it Black...

and of course the live version of Dazed and Confused(in the appropriate setting)

LB2

5 muggy and sluggish miles through the dark this morning. 76 degrees and 94% humidity at 4:44 AM.

QOTD: Yikes!!! That is a hard question. I have so many different musical interests, but I guess I would have to answer with the one band that has always resonated with me: Social Distortion. I can't really say that there is any one song that I identify with the most; I would have to go with the theme of working through hard times and coming out a better person at the end. I really haven't had a lot of "hard times" relative to what lots of people experience, but very few things have just fallen into my lap, except school work. I was always a good student. You tell me something; I got it. And I build on that knowledge to gain deeper understandings. Nevertheless, all their records seem to be a progression of life through the good times and the bad times, and I just relate to that.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Hello all... week of the 7's for me so far and last night was 7 miles on the trails and dirt roads of HayCreek/Birdsboro waters. Hilly place with a few small lakes and many streams for the dog to cool down. The plan right now is to do the Green Lane lake loop tonight so 12-13 miles.

QOTD: Joe Walsh "Indian Summer" pops right into my head. I first heard the song in my teenage years, but the song itself makes me think back of younger days..

and the fall brought and Indian Summer,

with plenty of places to play,

I can hear them calling

far away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRvLgOyxmuY

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

6 trail miles with the pup. The temp dropped from 85 yesterday morning to 67 today. It felt almost chilly out there.

Jo and I are loading up and heading to Phoenix later today for the Vertigo Night Run. It looks like it's supposed to be 110 degrees at the race start. That should make for an interesting race.

QOTD: I never developed that kind of connection to music. My tastes are too transient, I guess.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength training and a bike commute, have a great 20-ish mile run planned in the Crazy Mountains for tomorrow-we're enjoying a nice cool down (unfortunately looks like it's short lived)

qotd: my ipod is mostly loaded w/ 90's grunge/alternative music, but from my earlier years I also have a smattering of the Doors, early Rolling Stones, Steppenwolf Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

Steppenwolf Big grin

Hahaha. I am reminded of a live show I went to at the Thunderbird Lounge in Jacksonville, NC when I was in the Marines. The band was playing "Born To Be Wild", and this drunk Marine (not me), grabbed the microphone stand from the lead singer and started singing the song. He was much better than the actual singer. It was pretty funny. The band just kept on playing through the whole song. Then, the drunk guy said, "Thanks", and handed the mic back to the singer.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am determined to get out and do something this weekend...run or hike I dunno but something.

Jon - love your new mantra.  Wish I could do the same.  DW wouldn't have it.  She doesn't even want to step into the little bit of woods down the street at our new home because of spiders and poison ivy.  I'm the one allergic to poison ivy not her!

QOTD: I can't pick just one.  Grew up on the "hair" bands, the rise of R & B, jazz, Mozart, contemporary christian music....

Have a great weekend everyone!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Then maybe hit the beach and eat some chowda. (MM: that's the correct

pronunciation of clam chowder.)

Of course!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDZRjgWgnNM

Running is dumb.

Marley and I enjoyed the cooler drier air on this beautiful morning for a nice 6 mile trail run.

QOTD:  Off the top of my head I'll say Brown Eyed Girl or maybe I Think We're Alone Now (Tommy James and the Shondells, not the later Tiffany abomination).  Those were in my mid teens.   I am old enough to remember others ones a good bit older, but they don't take me back in the same way.

I find that music more often takes me back to a specific time and place in more recent years, usually on one of my bike tours.  It is kind of weird because it is usually a song that was playing in my head not one I was actually listening to.  Usually the smell of the place comes back too.  I find it so powerful at times that blows me away, it just washes over me.  It might even hit me before I recognize the song.

For example the first three chords of The Wind Cries Mary puts me on my bike in 2007 on a coast to coast bicycle tour, a 100F day on the Mississippi Levee.  I can smell the corn plants and the dust.  I can feel the heat.  I can hear the corn rustling in the wind.   Strangely the Jamie Cullum cover of the song hits me harder even though I had never heard it at that time.  I think maybe it is because it has a chance to hit me before I recognize the three chords where the Hendrix version I recognize the first chord.

Another is the overture from Ben Sollee's Sweet Marie.  It puts me on my bike in the Imperial Valley in 2012 on the road next to the dunes on another coast to coast bicycle tour.  Again it just washes over me.

These experiences are strangely powerful stuff.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  Heading out to play golf in the hospital tournament.  Always a fun time.

QOTD:  Van Morrison for me as well, but it would be "Moondance".  Other that Van, it would be The Beatles, "Across The Universe".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So I finally took that turn and ran 6.4 last night...it was nice.  Then this am...I did not get up.  But did come to work 1/2 hour early so I can do a hot and sweaty lunch run.

QOTD: I was totally into Neil Young...how about Old Man Take a Look at Yourself.  But anything Neil Young takes me back to college days...and the Doors...Mojo rising reminds of my boyfirend's nunchuck routine...

moonlighter:  I went natural...it's so freeing (and freeer)  versus having to get it colored.  It was very hard growing it out though.

Jon:  Congratulations on your decision to enjoy a leasurely life (time is so much more prescious than money) ...3 more years for me.

Pete:  Enjoyed reading your back in time monents.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

muppy

Got in 4.3 miles last night.

QOTD I would say Shout by Tears for Fears, it was my very first cassette tape as a kid and I probably played it on my boombox 16,000 times. Like Trail Tromper said, it's easy for a song to take me back to a specific day in the past.

Sandy-2

Did 5 miles this morning.  I have decided that I've spent enough down time... I'm just going to kind of maintain where I am now 'cause it's too hot around here, but I do need to get back into a little bit of a running routine.

qotd:

QOTD: I was totally into Neil Young...how about Old Man Take a Look at Yourself.  But anything Neil Young takes me back to college days...

QoN, I knew we had a lot in common...  Growing up for me it was "all Neil all the time..." still takes me back like a journey through the past...

tbd.

moonlightrunner

So I finally took that turn and ran 6.4 last night...it was nice.  Then this am...I did not get up.  But did come to work 1/2 hour early so I can do a hot and sweaty lunch run.

QOTD: I was totally into Neil Young...how about Old Man Take a Look at Yourself.  But anything Neil Young takes me back to college days...and the Doors...Mojo rising reminds of my boyfirend's nunchuck routine...

moonlighter:  I went natural...it's so freeing (and freeer)  versus having to get it colored.  It was very hard growing it out though.

Jon:  Congratulations on your decision to enjoy a leasurely life (time is so much more prescious than money) ...3 more years for me.

Pete:  Enjoyed reading your back in time monents.

i soooo listened to Neil Young in college. EltonJohn too. Listening to Pink Floyd though (Darkside of the Moon...and the album that was white with a diamond....can't recall the name) still takes me back to a few darkened rooms with...ahhhh....different aroma! 

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k