Trailer Trash

short review Ultimate Directions Jurek Essential (Read 35 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

my shorter runs I run w/ a handheld and no pack, but I also run where there is no cell signal and few (if any) folks on the trail- so there are few items I like to have when I'm out, this is where the Essential comes in

the Essential is a lightweight, small waist belt affair w/ three pockets that works pretty good 

the Essential weighs a svelte 2 oz (could probably shave a few grams off as the belt is very generous in length and could be trimmed), it has two "large" pockets  6.5 x 3" and one small pocket 3.5 x 2.5".  One of the "large" pockets is a stretchy mesh, the other water resistant sil nylon, both pockets zipper to open and close.  The small pocket is sil nylon and closes w/ a velcro tab.

I keep an AMK emergency blanket in the stretch pocket, in the other large pocket a small knife/whistle on a lanyard, small first aid kit, small fire kit, TP, a little 1.5mm cord and a small headlamp.  In the small pocket some Cliff Bloks.

My wife's smartphone (iphone 5) fits easily in either of the large pockets, the small pocket would easily fit keys, credit card, etc

the belt carries very nicely, nicely enough you'll forget it's there; if you run w/ a handheld, but like to carry a few bits and pieces and don't want to carry a pack- this is worthwhile piece of kit to look into

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

That looks like a great belt. I was wondering if you have problems keeping you phone from freezing during your runs and if this belt can be worn close enough that your body heat would help? I just bought a cheap money belt I'm going to try for my phone and extra batteries. I have not tried it yet because its been in the 40's here.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Whoa, this is bigger on the inside than on the outside! Lots of stuff that you fit in there.

I might look into this. Is the water resistant pocket "waterproof enough" to keep a cellphone or car key dry in a drizzle or light rain?

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I don't actually carry a phone w/ mine, no cell coverage Sad - I'm sure some body heat would get to a phone, probably could wear it under a layer easy enough to keep it warmer yet

the large sil pocket and the smaller sil pocket provides good moisture protection, I hesitate to call them waterproof, but certainly very water resistant

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √