Trailer Trash

Terrific Tuesdaily (Read 42 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Beautiful morning when I awoke at 5am.  It was mid 50's out, beautiful sunrise, birds chirping.  Too bad it was not a running day for me.  If it were not for my crappy feet, I would have just run.  But I did go to the gym for some stairing and a workout.

QOTD: What do you think of social media? Do you use it? For what purposes?

I don't like it although I see some of the benefits.  I can't stand to see young people bully each other, or spend way too much time on sites.  I think video games and social media are making young people lazy - well not making them lazy but parents who don't monitor these things.  Having said that, I do use FB - mostly to stay in touch with family and friends.  But if I didn't have it, I would be ok.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

DigDug2

6.7 this a.m. - beautiful cool morning here as well.

QOTD:  very little - no interest.

Occasional Runner

I took a nice long walk on the beach this morning. I'm tapering for my race this weekend.

QOTD: I enjoy Facebook and this forum, but that's pretty much my limit on social media. I do believe that the influx in social media is causing young people to lose the ability to communicate on any personal level.

Another SRD for the pooch and me.  I think we both are looking forward to running tomorrow.

QOTD: I like FaceBook a lot.  It has allowed me to reconnect with friends and family who I have lost track of.  It also allows me to stay in touch with ones I otherwise lose track of and allows me to be more in touch than I would otherwise be with the ones that I'd be in touch with anyway.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Morning!  Taking the day off from running, but will still be running a lot during my frisbee game later. It's like forced speedwork....my fast twitch muscles are slowly coming back after a loooong time off.

QOTD: I am 25 and yes, I do use social media a lot. A lot of people of my generation (and younger) definitely do rely on it more than others. I have been on facebook since around the time started (I was in college around the time it started.) And I only jumped on Twitter last year but have "met" a lot of cool runners and running bloggers on there....that's really my main use for it. And of course, there's Instagram too. I love taking photos and sharing them with friends, and also seeing some amazing photos of where people are running.  I tend to use facebook much less these days, and twitter and instagram more often.

run4loss

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

more rain last night, not complaining this country it's tough to get too much moisture, BUT I am jonesing badly to run some trails Big grin

I'll run the track for some mile repeats (6) this evening

qotd: if this is social media and it probably is, then I use it and find it useful- I don't use facebook, twitter (not really even sure what exactly it is Smile), etc

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Hi all!

SRD for me, but the weather has turned so nice I may get out for a short, fast run instead of yoga.  I was just outside and thought for a moment that a light jacket would be nice.

oh, and when I got back to my car after Sunday's race, there was a flyer for an 'extreme mud' run.  Mud, paint AND obstacles-- aptly named the armageddon ambush.    the complete package, I guess.  Here's the link, in case you're interested.   Wink.

qotd:  some (mostly FB with a few friends, mostly family).  I could live without it.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

run4loss - well said.  Yes I know this is social media and blogs and what not.  My opinion is that I don't like how social media as a whole has changed social interactions to be what they are today but as I did mention - there are benefits - one of which is a site like this and linking with other trail runners (blogs, running forums, etc).

If I had a choice to abolish social media completely (which means the benefits) in order to get rid of the negative offsrping, I would do it.  Maybe just the cautious parent in me - I don't know.  But since I can't I will enjoy the benefits and continue to be a very cautious parent.  My kids aren't even teenagers yet so who knows what my concerns will be when they get into middle and high school.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

under a rock

Four easy miles on a puddle filled trail this morning.

QOTD: As far as social media goes, the only two sites I use are RA and FB. I find FB very useful for keeping in touch with family and old friends from HS and college. It's such a great tool to organize group runs as well. FB has really helped our local road and trail running community be able to get together easily. I would say at least half of my FB friends are runners, some that I know from actually running with and others I've met over the years on RA.  I'd like to claim that I could live without social media but the truth is that I really like how easy it makes it for me to feel connected to my communities and friends/family.

Wandering Wally

Rested yesterday.  Sneaking out of the office this afternoon for some trail miles.

QOTD - Social media has it's place.  I use Facebook, Twitter and Google+.  Mostly I use them as newsfeeds, and to stay in touch with widely scattered family and friends.  Twitter and Facebook tend to break big news stories much quicker than traditional media outlets anymore.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Daydreamer1

Took a 4 mile walk with DW yesterday then went to a required PE class last night. I had taken a beginning personal defense class because it looked more interesting then just walking in circles around the campus. Last night we were on the mats grappling. I'm sore today. No running or anything today, have to work on an assignment then off to work for the evening and night.

QOTD: I keep up with a few forums and FB. Mostly on FB to keep up with several trail running groups. Otherwise I get kind of tired of how the majority of people on FB want to push an agenda that's important to them. Most of my friends on FB are people I interact with professionally and sometimes there are benefits to keeping up with what's going on. If FB went by the wayside I wouldn't cry about it.

Occasional Runner

run4loss - well said.  Yes I know this is social media and blogs and what not.  My opinion is that I don't like how social media as a whole has changed social interactions to be what they are today but as I did mention - there are benefits - one of which is a site like this and linking with other trail runners (blogs, running forums, etc).

If I had a choice to abolish social media completely (which means the benefits) in order to get rid of the negative offsrping, I would do it.  Maybe just the cautious parent in me - I don't know.  But since I can't I will enjoy the benefits and continue to be a very cautious parent.  My kids aren't even teenagers yet so who knows what my concerns will be when they get into middle and high school.

What are you talking about Jamie? run4loss didn't say anything at all. Either that, or it was a just another lurker that wanted to chime in and be an asshole for no reason, then delete their post. I guess we all find happiness in different ways.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I did a fast 2.6 yesterday on my "how fast am I" loop.  The answer is faster than I would have guessed...held a 6:29 pace.  Last year I got down to a 6:08 pace, but I worked on it.  I'm happy with my speed considering I haven't worked on it.

QOTD: I use these forums and I use LinkedIn.  I've seen Facebook destroy relationships and I don't want any part of that.  My GF keeps up with some of my friends...so I kind of use that (by proxy).

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

Did a 10k tempo run today on the road.  1 mile easy, 4 miles at tempo pace and then 1.2 easy.  Broke in my new Garmin 910XT.  Worked great, and I love the big display since I need reading glasses most of the time.

QOTD:  I been on the  RW's forum since 2004, and here since Mandy started us going.  DW and I moved from our DC area home after we married, so we lost contact with many friends.  We use FB to reconnect us and to keep in touch.  When our kids were in HS, AOL and Myspace were taking over, and we limited their computer time.  Also, we had to know their passwords or they couldn't use the account.  We never logged on to their accounts, but it kept them guessing.

Technology has a way of connecting and disconnecting at the same time.  A young boy will never again know the chilling fear of calling a girls house and praying that her father doesn't answer the phone.  Now you just text "hey".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!