Trailer Trash

Taper Schedule? (Read 35 times)

Hi All,

I'm running a trail marathon this weekend, and then my goal race 50k is 4 weeks after that. I normally like a 3 week taper, with my last long run 3 weeks before the goal race.

Keeping in mind this is my first trail marathon AND 50k.... what would you recommend as far as long runs/ tapering goes after the 26.2? Right now, my weekend schedule for the weeks following the marathon is:  back-to-back hiking days (Sat/Sun), 16 miles, 12 miles, 50k.   Obviously I'll be decreasing weekly mileage with that as well. I know tapering is different for everyone...just looking for some sage advice from the experienced folks here.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Depending on how long your long runs are now compared to the marathon distance, and how hard you go in the race, there might or might not be much time for tapering before the second race.

If you recover quickly, you'll be back to your normal running schedule a week after the marathon, then I'd do 1 hard week as usual, 1 medium week with runs no longer than around 12 miles, and 1 very light week.

If it takes you two weeks to recover, I'd do 1 week of medium mileage and exhaustion, no runs longer than maybe 12 miles, and 1 light week.

But as you say, tapering, or how to do the time between two races, is a highly individual thing, and it's often better to just wing it than forcing yourself to sticking to a schedule which does not consider how you feel during that time.

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Personally, I would play something like that by ear.  You've never run a marathon before, so you don't know how quickly you're going to recover.  Are you running it easy, or are you racing it?  If you decide to race it, or end up running harder than you planned on, I think the important thing is not to force your scheduled miles if you're not feeling it.  You won't lose any endurance between the marathon and 50K even if you don't get in any long runs in between them.  I also tend to be pretty conservative in my training, however.  Where's John M?  He needs to pop in here and talk about how rest is underrated by most runners.

Running is dumb.

Personally, I would play something like that by ear.  You've never run a marathon before, so you don't know how quickly you're going to recover.  Are you running it easy, or are you racing it?  If you decide to race it, or end up running harder than you planned on, I think the important thing is not to force your scheduled miles if you're not feeling it.  You won't lose any endurance between the marathon and 50K even if you don't get in any long runs in between them.  I also tend to be pretty conservative in my training, however.  Where's John M?  He needs to pop in here and talk about how rest is underrated by most runners.

I'm planning on treating the 26.2 as my last long training run. The longest (trail) run I've done is 22 miles, with a couple 20 milers in there as well. I think I will find it hard not to race it though, usually when I get out there the competitive spirit comes out. The good thing is I don't have any real time or PR to compete against, since I've only done road marathons in the past.  I definitely think the "go with the flow" approach is a good recommendation for the taper.

Ultra Cowboy

Depending on how you are feeling the Taper can be short or long.  If you have nagging injury issues then a longer taper can help.  My taper usually starts with the scheduled long run the week before getting cut down to 6-10 miles, then  short runs in the week leading up to the race.  Usually 3 runs of 6, 4 and 2 miles.  At least that is the plan.  If you look at my log you will see...I don't always follow the plan.

Lot more experienced folks here than me.  Lots of faster folks than me.  I think your Trail marathon will tell you what you want to do.

WYBMADIITY

Save

AT-runner

Tim

If you trail marathon is a "run", be very cautious of starting too fast and getting caught up in every else's "race".

As far as taper, see how you feel after your marathon and go from there.  Your initial plan, "Hike, 16, 12, Race" looks pretty good.  If your pretty sore then "Hike, 12, 10, Race" won't hurt you a bit come race day.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!