Trailer Trash

humpdaydaily (Read 27 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  SRD for me today, I've run five days in a row and need to give the heel a little rest.  It is improving nicely though, finally feeling like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel Smile

qotd: what are your current shoes?  contemplating any changes?  I'm still running in PI N2's and just ordered another pair so no change for me in the near future.  i did contemplate a pair of Hokas w/ my stress fracture for extra padding, but looks like I'm going to make it.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Lunch run planned today, probably in light rain.  I feel 95% from the race.

mtwarden - Glad you are back and running.  How's the bike?

QOTD:  Altra Olympus for non-technical trails and road.  Inov8 TrailRoc 245's for trails (they do great with the pointy rocks in my area).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

DigDug2

Track today - 5K-pace ladder.  Felt good.

QOTD:  Mizuno Wave Ascends for most trail runs, Mizuno Wave Riders and NB 1210 for roads/flat trails, NB MT110 when I want lighter trail shoes.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I was lazy this morning, didn't run. I did do a half-ass core workout, that should count for something.

MT: good to hear that you're back at it, those injury setbacks are a hassle.

QOTD: Asics Fuji Racer, my 4th pair. NB 1400's for the road. I'd like to try something new for the trails, just

not sure which direction to go.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Finally my computer is allowing me to post again. So, here I am.

After a total of 2 1/2 weeks of no running, and no exercise at all because of my pneumonia and pleurisy, I started up again yesterday. It was harder than I had feared. I ran a total of 3.5 miles, but had to walk about a quarter mile in the middle. It was hot and humid, up and down "my" mountanin, and that might have contributed some, but it was this "familiar" feeling of breathing deeply, but just not getting enough oxygen. "Familiar" because I remember feeling that same way last time I had to recover from that pneumonia/pleurisy combo pack.

Now I am not sure what to do. If I go by last time's recovery period, it could take me up to 10 weeks to be back to my normal again, and that would bring it to the end of July. Which is too late to get into shape for ES100 in mid-August.

And just as it so happens, I received an e-mail from the RD yesterday, reminding that they will give refunds if you cancel by the end of May.

So, the question is, bail out or not?

I still have a few days to see what will happen next with my recovery, and I'm heading out for 3-4 easy, flat miles now, but this is weighing heavy on my mind. I wanted to do this race so much. 

warden: I've been watching your recovery, and it seems to go very well. Keep going, but easy!

AT: Have a nice run in the drizzle (or downpour, as it is here on and off, in between sun and steam).

DD2: Nice workout!

QOTD: Still in my Cascadia 7's most of the time, alternating between Ghost 4's for road, easy trail, and gravel road runs. I'm waiting for the ground to dry up so that I can use my PureGrits.

I've been thinking of getting some very minimalistic shoes, or monkey socks, just to try out and for fun runs on the easy trails. Budget allowing, that is, I might have to get new shoes for ES100 (IF I'll run it), and those might be Cascadias or some other, somewhat cushiony, but tough, shoe. Thinking of Inov8, Sportiva, or some other specialized shoe.

Run for fun.

LB2

2.5 last night with the dog. We jumped a rabbit and chased it across an open field, which was a good speed workout. We just needed to get out between down pours and do something. I am thinking I will hit the treadmill tonight for some climbing, about an hour or so. Rain is set in here pretty solidly.

QOTD: I ran 20 this past weekend in some worn out NB Minimus, no problems. But I mainly alternate between a pair of Montrail Fluid Flex II's, NB 110's, and Saucony Peregrine II's. I haven't run on the road in over a month, but when I do, I use a pair of Altra Instincts that just don't seem to wear out.

I am thinking about getting a pair of Altra Olympus, but I may stick with those Montrails or the Peregrines for my next big race in November. I would not hesitate to run a Cajun Coyote or Rocky Raccoon in 110's, but for Pinhoti, I will need a little more underfoot than they offer because of the rocks. I think the Montrails will do fine, though. Of course, that extra toe room in the Altras would probably be nice late in the race. I love those Altras.

LB2

Gator eye

Me and the dog went for 6 this morning on the dirt roads. Mr. Jangles chased the same rabbit out of the same yard and the same farm dog came running out from the porch to chase him out of his yard. It's a game we've repeated hundreds of times.

QOTD: I have a pair of Hoka Stinson for long, Asic Nimbus for the roads, and a pair of Asic Scouts that I use along with the Hoka's till they wear out. I'll never buy the Scouts again but I'm going to get my money out of them before they get switched over to garden duty.

runtraildc

Morning, trailers!  Just returned from a great yoga class.  A new instructor for me, but she seemed to know every area that I needed work on.  I'm planning for a short run tonight, weather permitting, during summer swim practice.  I have my summer trails (and a running partner) to look forward to.    Nothing terribly exciting, but the change is good.

FTYC-- glad to hear that you're on the mend and back running.  Yesterday was brutal on the lungs for us non-pnuematic folks, so don't beat yourself up too hard on that run.  Don't have good advice on 'no or go' for ES, but I think you'll surprise yourself on your recovery.  You were in great shape before getting sick, it'll come back quickly I think.

qotd:  I'm rotating thru 4 pairs of shoes right now, my favorites are the cascadias 7s and the Brooks Ghost for the pavement.  I found a great deal on the cascadias for my son last week ($55), but alas, none in my size.

moonlightrunner

I am planning an hour and a half at the state park after work. I don't know how many miles. I have not dug out the garmin because I don't want to know how slow I really am. Well...I know I am slow...I just don't want to see the sad numeric proof.

Couch: so glad you are on the solid road to recovery. Why don't you stay in the race and plan on running as much as you can?

Warden: congrats on your recovery...good that you are resting when you should.

Qotd: I run on five fingers. I run mostly wooded trails a d the do OK. I am thinking of going to a more substantial shoe for more technical trails. I get a lot of strains when I step on something and my foot is pushed upwards. I don't know if a "real" shoe would be helpful. i will stay on

The minimalist end...just not sure what it will be.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

DigDug2

Couch:  glad to see you're back running - take it easy.  It's not my money, but I would keep my ES registration - getting back into fitness is easier if you have a concrete goal you're aiming for.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

5.76 this am with Earl, should have stopped at 5.67..  Saw an otter which is odd becuase I was running anlong the canal/ditch whcih is just a man made creeek.   Theere's no fish in there.  Think  he came from the lake a good 10 miles up the canal?  Yesterday a Peacock and today a otter...oh what will I see tomorrow.

QOTD: Cascadias...same as for the last 3 to 4 years.  They are the 7's...I bought the 8's but just didn't like them.  Looks like the 9's are returning back to more like the 6's so will definitely try them when I need a pair.  Still have a new 7's in the box.

mtwarden:  Glad your heel is improving.

Couch:   Hard decision...and I won't bother helping you because I am clueless on 100 mile runs.  I kinda of agree with runtraildc about " You were in great shape before getting sick, it'll come back quickly".

LB2:  That dog is good for you.

Gator eye:  Them dogs love consistency!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

4.8 miles at 80/80, which is 80 degrees and 80% humidity. I don't even want to know what dewpoint that makes. It sure was a bit warm and humid.

Speed was ok for what it is now, and overall it felt better than anticipated. Still I was wiped out afterwards.

So I will just do a few recovery runs this week, and start doubles next week.

traildc, DD2, moonlight: I guess I'll stick with it and just run as far as I can. It certainly gives me more motivation to have a race to aim for, in terms of recovery. I am just such a competitive runner, and once I have started in a race, I really try to finish, even if that means driving myself into the ground. Maybe I should work on that as well, not just on getting into shape again. 

traildc, Queen: Where did you get the Cascadia 7's? Recently? I really like them. I also loved the 6's, and it did take some time to get used to the cushion-y-ness of the 7's, but when I switched back to the 6's this winter, and for mud runs in spring, I realized the 7's are actually a great shoe. The 8's are too soft for me, too, and the 9's probably out of my budget (I'll have to wait until they go on sale).

Enjoy the day, runners!

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Couch:  My firend actually order them about 3 months ago so unsure where she got them.  I am hoping by the time I use up the new pair I can find the 9s on sale somewhere.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

traildc, DD2, moonlight: I guess I'll stick with it and just run as far as I can. It certainly gives me more motivation to have a race to aim for, in terms of recovery. I am just such a competitive runner, and once I have started in a race, I really try to finish, even if that means driving myself into the ground. Maybe I should work on that as well, not just on getting into shape again. 

Really, we didn't know that .  (That's why I even mentioned you in my RR.)

Good luck, couch.  I'd wait as long as possible.  I had pneumonia last Spring before a 24 hr event and was surprised how quickly things came back.  At first I was ready to bail, but after 10 or so days of running I stated feeling like myself again.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

LB2:  That dog is good for you.

Yeah, he is. It is always a good way to get out for a run. Last night, my wife was a little annoyed that I wanted to go run, even for a short run. Then, Rudy heard me say "run" and started going nuts. So, off we went, and everyone was happy.

Just got word that the 12 hour race I couldn't make on Saturday has been changed to Sunday. It is a fat ass event, so we just show up. I'll be out there for at least 10 hours of it, probably all 12.

LB2