Trailer Trash

The Thursdaily (Read 37 times)

runtraildc

Morning trailers!  Up early to get kiddo #1 to swim practice unfortunately not to run.  It's a mix of sleet and rain at the moment, but I'll get in 3 or 4 miles later, plus yoga.

Here was last night's run.  Managed to get out on the trail before  the 6 pm closure for deer mgmt.   I'm sure the snow made their work much easier.

qotd: Have you run any new trails lately?  Or do you stick to the regulars?  I realized that I haven't run a new trail in months, mostly because I am no longer traveling for work.    At home, I have a good variety of trails from outside my door to within 20 min.  There is one park, 20 min in a direction I rarely head that has a respectable trail system.  I think I need to check them out.

Freezing fog and black ice kept me from wanting to make the drive to the trails.  Maybe we will get out later, or maybe it might be a rest day.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

LB2

I won't get out for a run today. It looks like this storm is setting in for awhile. I have no run scheduled until Saturday. I did get out for a nice 5 miler last night. Beautiful picture, DC.

QOTD: I have not run any new trails in quite some time. However, I will revisit some old trails I have not run in a year or so on Saturday. And, yesterday I was invited to turkey hunt on friend's property that borders a WMA. I was marginally excited about it until he added, "My property borders this WMA, and there is a back way into the WMA that only a few trail riders know about." Trails? What trails? Miles and miles of horse trails... So, I got very excited about that. I'll get out there and do some scouting next month. This is not far from my house at all. And I never even realized it was there. I knew the WMA was there, but I didn't realize there were trails. So, I'll be hitting some new trails next month.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Up early and did my 10k loop where I work on pace and turnover. Not racing it but I do like to roll in within a certain window of time. I have not recaptured my pace since my surgery from quite awhile ago now. Thought I was hitting it pretty good today but upon my finish I looked at my watch thinking  I did good but CRAP, a minute slower than last week.  Don't get old people. There is no cure.

QOTD-- The only thing new I can think of was a couple months back I revisited an area I hadn't been to in years with Mandy. It had been improved over how I remembered it and is awesome. Been back a couple times since and am planning on it again in the early hours tomorrow. Feel stupid that I had taken it out of my rotation.

I guess I should also mention this trail system close to my cabin that is being redeveloped and I have mentioned before here. Fabulous bike trails that I also run some and because it is a work in progress every time I go there something new has been added.  Imagine your favorite trail system having a couple full time trail builders with a walk behind mini-bulldozer and other small equipment funded by a foundation largely the result on one stinkin' rich woman who is giving generously. And enough land to make it happen in a sound manner. These are the good old days.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I managed to get out last night after 9 and decided to run the creekside trail just down the street from my house.  If I do an out n back to the end of the trail it's a total of 3 miles so not overly long but a good little trail run that I do not have to drive to.  We had about 3-4 inches of snow fall yesterday so my headlamp illuminated everything.  It was awesome.  If you have never run in the woods in the dark after (or during) a snowfall, I highly recommend it.  I could have run without my headlamp as the neighborhood lights on the other side of the creek were lighting up the sky with a pink haze which somewhat illuminated the trail section I was on.  But I noticed something strange as I made my way off the road, down the hill and onto the trail - footprints.  Not human but they following the trail dead in the middle.  They followed the trail almost the whole way down to the turnaround.  Small prints and close together.  I thought maybe a dog but I had no proof.  There were occasionally other sets of prints that went off the trail and then back the other side.  When I got to the turnaround I saw 5 sets of glowing eyes.  A deer caught in a headlamp.  They were feet from the trail and did not move.  I thought they might have been the reason for the footprints but then on my way back, I saw them.  One pair of eyes....and then another.  I could make out a small body moving swiftly and close to the ground.  Then another pair of eyes darting/weaving in and off the trail.  One stayed o and the other weaved as I kept running toward them.  I am guessing fox but they never let me too close.  It was fun as I felt like they were letting me chase them.  Good run!

DC - nice picture.  I love how the trees look after a fresh snow.

QOTD: No new trails.  I have pretty much run everything within a 45 min drive of my house.  Hmmm...That's not true...there are still a few I have not been at yet.  Some are tough to initially access so winter is a tough time of year for them.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Marley and I had another great 5 mile trail run in the fresh snow.

QOTD:  Some new sections in old familiar areas, but nothing much really new.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

sugnim

Good morning all.  I had 4 miles planned for this morning, but I somehow closed my eyes for a minute, and an hour had passed.  So, it became a rest day.  I'm fine with that.  I got a nice walk to work though with a view of the local mountains that I generally run in.  I'd rather be up there today, but with a commute like this, I can't complain.

QOTD: I typically try new trails in the warmer season.  During the winter, our trails are covered in snow and ice which can make it more difficult to find the trails and to find your way around.  So, I've been sticking to the ones I know well.

My work commute:

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Going to do my lunchtime run of 5,.  I will be wearing shorts and a short sleeve.    The co-worker did 2 yesterday but has decided a 1/2 marathon was too far for her to be ready by April.   Walked the dogs this am and saw a nice sunrise.

QOTD:  I mostly stick with the trails I know.  The group I run with travel west for new trails but I usually skip it as the traveling adds an extra 2 hours to the day, sometime they drive 3 hours one way!  In the spring and summer I will go because they may travel East which is the Tahoe area and worth the drive for the beauty.

NH:  How cool you keep getting new trails all the time!  Our community is adding new trails too but they are often short 1 to 3 milers so I don't run them but will check them out.

sugnim:  Nice shot!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Worked last night and got beat up pretty bad with calls. Wanted to get out of bed at 1 and somehow overslept and didn't crawl out until about 3. Now the cripple, aka DW, has me running all over the house doing errands. I was planning on some type of a run but I may just decide to go on the trainer and elliptical and watch the second movie of the Hobbit series.

QOTD: No. I had wanted to explore a little this past fall but it never happened. Maybe this spring. Some of the trails I'd like to explore grow over during the summer and I don't like to run when I can't see where I'm stepping.

Sandy-2

I'm just about to head out on an evening 5 miler.  Tomorrow a local guy is showing me a new trail, or I should say a new way to get to a trail that I have run before.  It's nice because there are subway lines all over the place so we can very easily do a point-to-point run. Were planning on about 20 to 25k I guess, should be fun.

qotd: See above, still exploring lots of new trails surrounding the city.  There are lots and lots of them.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL