Trailer Trash

Surgical Tuesdalies (Read 35 times)

Daydreamer1

So 20 years ago at this time (06:30) I was sitting in the hospital waiting for DW to have surgery. Then it was a C-section. She had been unable to have DD after 8 hours of hard pushing so DS was a planned C-section. The Doctor started the incision at 8 Am and at 8:05 DS was yanked out, and started screaming. A perfect APGAR score of 10. Very rare but possible with a planned C-Section. So at 8:05 this morning I will no longer have any teenagersCry.  I miss the days when my kiddos were young.

Now this morning I'm sitting in the same hospital, again waiting while DW is prepped for surgery. This time it's for carpal tunnel. This has been bothering her for the past 3-4 years and she has had to wear a brace at night or the pain was too bad for her to sleep. Hopefully this will correct that.

On the running side I'm hoping to get in my 6.3 mile loop after we get home. It's been almost a week with out any running or bike time so I need to get out.

QOTD: Do you recycle and if so what products?

Watoni's thread on trail etiquette made me think about environmental sustainability. When It comes to this topic I don't feel I'm a nut job but there are things that I like to do to conserve resources. For me it's recycling. If a product can be recycled I will make sure that I do. I get rather upset when I see people throwing away certain items such as aluminum cans and plastic bottles. Aluminum is so easy to recycle and uses so much less energy then refining a new product. Plastic will just lay around for thousands of years so it seems stupid to just fill up landfills with both of these products.  Some products like glass don't really harm the environment and it doesn't save much energy, if any, so I don't get too excited over glass being thrown away.

Birdwell

Morning folks!

Got in two wet miles.

Yesterday afternoon I drove over the mountains on my way back from work and say the first leaves starting to change!

DD: good luck to your wife!

QOTD: I recycle, but more for the monetary benefit than anything.

MTA: for the sake of clarity, there are no municipal recycling programs where I live. We do have a number of scrap metal facilities, which I frequent often with work leftovers (copper, steel and aluminum). We've also been trying (and failing) to get a compost pile started for 3 years now. I even built a barrel composter, which sits with rotting garbage in it right now.

Occasional Runner

6 trail miles here in Wisconsin. I'm still having some issue in my guts. I hope I shake it soon. I have stuff to do.

QOTD: I compost in my vegetable garden and my wife recycles a lot of our household waste. I also save paper and cardboard for my fire pit.

Morning all,

Got in 6 easy miles last night before watching the Birds dominate the Redskins! Offense looked amazing.  Probably will get in 7 sweaty, humid miles later.

QOTD: Absolutely. Especially with the number of adult beverages consumed in our house...recycling is key.  I think we are going to start composting too, now that we have a patio.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Took yesterday off......will be back out for 5 or 6 road miles tonight.

QOTD:   Yes, I recycle a lot.  At home, we have single stream recycling.  All recyclables go in one container and then the waste company separates it.  We recycle plastic, glass, aluminum, steel, cardboard, newspaper.   At my present company, we only had manufacturing waste recycling when I started 4 years ago.  there was no can or bottle recycling available.  As a silent protest, I built up a wall of 20 oz plastic bottles on the shelves at the top of my cubicle.  I had some help from others around me and at one point, there was over 500 plastic bottles stacked neatly as a wall around the top of my cube.  Finally, One of the VPs came to talk to me one day and asked why I was decorating with plastic bottles and I told him that it was ridiculous that we don't have aluminum and plastic recycling, especially since we have vending machines that sell the products in our cafeteria.  Within two weeks, he came back to my desk and informed me that the new recycling program would be starting the next day and "I could get all that shit out of my cube now"  Smile

moonlightrunner

Good morning !

DD: congrats on no more teens...although I think adolescent behavior extends well into the 20's now. Hope DW does well in surgery.

Bird: lots of things looking like fall here...except the temps this week!

Lace: hope u feel better soon.

I should have run this am. Heat index will be in the upper 90's. I guess it will be late evening. Maybe at the state park followed by a moonlit swim. Not feeling great this morning, but as sson as the grass dries I have some cross training behind the push mower.

Qotd: I am a bad person....I don't recycle. I hope I don't get shunned for it!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

runtraildc

Morning!  I'm on my way to Milwaukee, so I hope to fit in 3 or 4 miles along Lake Michigan tonight.  Looking forward to visiting some old trails the next couple of days.

T&C- not a redskins fan, but congrats on the game!

qotd:  yes. we even have a worm composter- I highly recommend them.

sugnim

Good morning.  I got in 8 trail miles yesterday evening after work.  It was hot, but it felt so good to get out for a run after 4 days off.

QOTD:  Recycling where I live does not happen.  When we were in SF, you had to separate everything into separate containers or you would be fined.  Here, if you want to recycle, you have to pay $25 per month to do it.  Luckily, we don't really use aluminum cans or plastic bottles very often.  However, we do have a lot of paperboard boxes like cereal boxes as well as steel cans.  Those both could be recycled, as could the junk mail that we receive, but nothing in our house gets recycled.  The only good thing is that we never throw out food scraps--those go to the chickens.

Daydreamer:  I hope your wife's surgery goes well.

mecrowe:  Nice job getting recycling going at your work!

runtraildc:  I can't tell you how many worms I've killed in our vermicomposter.  I finally gave up.  Dead

jonferg67

Endless trails

Good morning all you early birds,

Nice 6 miles this morning, great weather-cool, cloudy, low humidity.

DD: Good luck to your DW.

lace: my first line of defense for health issues is Advil and denial, when that doesn't work

I get pissed.

QOTD: Yes we recycle at home. However, they do not recycle at my new job and it's

hard for me to deal with. Maybe I'm just a damn hippy throwback.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Qotd: I am a bad person....I don't recycle. I hope I don't get shunned for it!

That's it, turn in your trail running shoes!

Occasional Runner

lace: my first line of defense for health issues is Advil and denial, when that doesn't work

I get pissed.

I'm already at the pissed off stage.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning all!

DD1: good luck to the DW with the surgery

T&C: E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!

Mecrowe: too funny with the plastic bottle protest

Ended up getting 8 yesterday evening.  Some high school age looking girl actually turned around when I went past her and tried to run me down.  I steadily increased from about 8:45 miles down to 7:00 miles but she still caught up.  I could hear her huffing and puffing pretty good behind me, but she turned off on a side street and never passed me...not sure what was up with that.

Today the plan is for 5-6 or a rest day (if I don't do laundry).

QOTD: Our apartment complex has a recycle dumpster labelled for plastics and glass.  People always put their cardboard in there also...not sure if that is legit or not so I alternate between putting my cardboard in the trash and in the recycle dumpster.  I work in construction where recycling that is not in the form of "scrapping" is pretty much non-existent.  I looked into starting a recycling program for construction materials but it turned out to be cost prohibitive.  It's a shame because I'm sure we throw away more stuff in a month than everyone who reads this put together throws out in a year.  West coast construction is better in this regard.

**Ask me about streaking**

Six trail miles for the pooch and me. this morning.  It was pretty humid and some of Marley's usual drinking spots are dried up so it wasn't as nice as the last few days.

QOTD: Yes, Aluminum, paper, and plastic.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Brian Runner

Volunteering at a local XC quad meet and then meeting some folks afterward for a group run on the trails.

QOTD: Yes, our town does twice a month pick-up for household recyclables.

DigDug2

6.6 on roads/rail trail in a drizzle this a.m.  New Hokas come today - never tried them before, can't wait to run in them tomorrow.

QOTD:  Yes, but mostly just bottles - our trash company doesn't make it easy to recycle other stuff.  Newspapers get recycled in the bunny cage.