Trailer Trash

Trekking Poles (Read 55 times)

Occasional Runner

I've written about my annoyance at the overuse of trekking poles in 100 mile races several times in the past. I think they're frequently used on trail that wouldn't require them, they make it difficult to pass and they can be dangerous. A lot of races have banned them for those exact reasons.

But I'm thinking about using them at the Bear 100, but need to give this serious thought.

I broke my trekking poles during a snowshoe outing last winter. I made a comment about that to a manufacturer a couple weeks ago and suddenly...a brand new pair of Black Diamond Z-Poles showed up at my house. They've been staring at me, all shiny and new, luring my thoughts toward actually using them.

What are the odds that a free pair of trekking poles would show up right before the Bear? It has to be a sign!

Who uses them and what are your thoughts?

Snowdenrun

Try 'em! But first go out and try do a test run with them. I use trekking poles for steep hikes and find them useful in certain places, but also annoying in many places. I would want to test out how easily you could collapse and stow them when you no longer want them. And how easily you could get them out and ready again.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have used them occasionally, some years ago. They are useful for steep downhills, to help you keep your balance and deal with slipping. On uphills, they might be useful, but in trail running, I found scrambling up on all fours works best on steep hills.

You need to try them first because they require arm and upper body strength, and you might not be used to that at first, so it might be more exhausting. It's also good to figure out where they are most useful for your running, and how to assemble/stow them quickly again.

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

I've used poles when making steep ascents on 14'rs, but never during a race. My old pair were telescopic, and I think most people are familiar with how the Z-Poles work. Some of my packs are better for storing poles than others. Of course the other drawback is using poles when I need to carry bottles. The necessitate the use of a pack, no?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

If they collapse far enough, you might be able to stow them on a belt, but in that case, I'd rather go for a pack.

You can stow them on the outside, with a carabiner through the hand loops, hang that carabiner onto the bottom part of the criss-cross elastic, and slip the collapsed poles upside down through the elastic, so that the tips stick out at the top. Pull tight, and they should stay there.

Edit: Slip the poles through the elastic criss-cross first, then fasten the carabiner!

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

If they collapse far enough, you might be able to stow them on a belt, but in that case, I'd rather go for a pack.

You can stow them on the outside, with a carabiner through the hand loops, hang that carabiner onto the bottom part of the criss-cross elastic, and slip the collapsed poles upside down through the elastic, so that the tips stick out at the top. Pull tight, and they should stay there.

Edit: Slip the poles through the elastic criss-cross first, then fasten the carabiner!

That's a good idea. Thanks.

I've used them when running the Barr Trail up/down Pikes Peak, and also used them on a run to the top of Harney Peak in South Dakota.  I thought they really helped on both the ups, pushing me up on steep step ups, and especially helped on the down, to more steady myself with 4 impact points versus two.  I think by using them, they also helped me to feel significantly better afterward because of those reasons.  I'd say to each their own.  If someone wants to use them, and the race doesn't prohibit them, then it should be OK.  Kind of like shoes.  Not everyone wears Hokas, but we don't begrudge those that do.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Daydreamer1

Last year I carried one quite often. Initially I was using it to probe ahead in some of the overgrown, rocky areas to try to detect any snakes. Of course I started using it on the steep climbs as well. On the steep climbs it really helps a lot. On the moderate climbs not very much but it would add up over a long run. When I was able to do a fast hike it caused as much problems as it helped as it had a tendency to get stuck in things. I'm sure this would have improved with practice.  They are great for descending very steep, rocky hills where you couldn't run anyway or in anyother situation where balance is compromised. Using one helped me to get through Hyner this spring with my busted up ankle. I have never used two at a time. I never try to use one on sections that I can run. Some people do but it only slows me down.

I'm doing the Megatransect up at Lock Haven this fall. Depending on the trails they use, the terrain is as bad as or worse then Hyner. I used a single pole there last year because my knee was bothering me. As long as I'm healthy I won't use one this year, it's just too much of a pain especially since I'll be carrying a bottle of Perpetuem. The mileage this year is supposed to be about 27.5 miles with more runnable sections. Running long distances carrying only a single pole gets tiresome and I could only imagine that carrying two would be more so.

I think they can be a good asset, if you are used to using them. If I ever actually end up doing some of the longer ultras I'll consider them, but I'll actually practice with them so I can use them better at faster hiking speeds.

I don't have a problem with people using them. If they use them appropriately. Unfortunately some people are just morons who don't care about anyone else.

edit: I thought about using a pack so I could stow them on the pack while running but felt that would be a pain to always have to stop when I wanted them.  I have a pair of collapsible Black Diamonds, not sure of the model, but I love their mechanism.

LB2

If you haven't used them, I can see how they might be a bit cumbersome. I have not run the Bear 100, but I have run portions of the course. We came in from Mill Creek Canyon (which is a relentless climb up a jeep road), hit the Leatham Hollow Trail and ran down through Richard's Hollow. Then, we headed back up through the mountains on various trails and just had a hell of a time: mud to snow to rocky scree. I never realized mud was that sticky out West. I took some of the funniest falls of my life on that run. Anyway, we also rode along the course by road and picked up the trail again at Tony Grove (mile 52ish I think). The section of trail where you cross the highway and start the climb up to Tony Grove is what I would call relentless. It just goes up and up and up some more. Tony Grove is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Someone with your experience in mountain running could probably take them or leave them. I only ran about 27 or so miles out there on that long run, but I never found myself in an area where I thought, "Boy, I wish I had some trekking poles."

Go to the BeeHive Grill when you get there. I like that place. It is right on the main drag through town.

LB2

Birdwell

Lace, are you using the Bear 100 as a training run or taking a low key approach to it?

Or are you looking to perform really well and go for top placing?

The race sure is awfully close.

Do you think it would be wise to add something that significant into your race plan this late in the game?

Will you have enough time to practice and get used to them before the race?

I've used carried poles on a few runs and have nearly always regretted the extra weight. I also never like the amount of time it takes to get them on and off my pack, unfold them, store my handheld, etc.

my two cents.

One more thing, if you do use trekking poles, your arms and shoulders take more of the stress, so if you're not used to it, that could add additional problems.  I've also found that holding the handles of the trekking pole can also cause rubbing and even listers if you're not ready for that too.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Occasional Runner

Lace, are you using the Bear 100 as a training run or taking a low key approach to it?

Or are you looking to perform really well and go for top placing?

The race sure is awfully close.

Do you think it would be wise to add something that significant into your race plan this late in the game?

Will you have enough time to practice and get used to them before the race?

I've used carried poles on a few runs and have nearly always regretted the extra weight. I also never like the amount of time it takes to get them on and off my pack, unfold them, store my handheld, etc.

my two cents.

I've always loved this topic because everybody has an opinion about it.

I'm running Bear as a serious race but don't have high hopes for being competitive. I have some other 100's this year that I'm focusing on for top finishes.

I have plenty of experience with poles but not in a race environment. Tackling 14'ers is different than running in a race. There's more traffic and urgency in the race environment. I'm mostly interested in how people manage them during a race. How they pack them, what type of terrain warrants their use, stuff like that.

I can't fathom using them while carrying handhelds. That is not something I would consider. I'd kill somebody.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

I've always loved this topic because everybody has an opinion about it.

I'm running Bear as a serious race but don't have high hopes for being competitive. I have some other 100's this year that I'm focusing on for top finishes.

I have plenty of experience with poles but not in a race environment. Tackling 14'ers is different than running in a race. There's more traffic and urgency in the race environment. I'm mostly interested in how people manage them during a race. How they pack them, what type of terrain warrants their use, stuff like that.

I can't fathom using them while carrying handhelds. That is not something I would consider. I'd kill somebody.

Doesn't the Salomon  vest have a trekking pole storage system built in?  I'm pretty sure I saw that on the tag before ripping it off and throwing it away.  Of course, I don't own trekking poles so it didn't matter much to me.  I think there is an elastic loop on the on the lower left side of the back to catch the tips of the poles and then an elastic loop on the top right that has a hook on the end.  I think the idea was to stick the tips in first and then wrap the upper band around the poles and hook it back to the front of the vest.  Of course, this is from the guy who doesn't own poles and has never hiked or run where he would needs them.  Smile

Occasional Runner

Doesn't the Salomon  vest have a trekking pole storage system built in?  I'm pretty sure I saw that on the tag before ripping it off and throwing it away.  Of course, I don't own trekking poles so it didn't matter much to me.  I think there is an elastic loop on the on the lower left side of the back to catch the tips of the poles and then an elastic loop on the top right that has a hook on the end.  I think the idea was to stick the tips in first and then wrap the upper band around the poles and hook it back to the front of the vest.  Of course, this is from the guy who doesn't own poles and has never hiked or run where he would needs them.  Smile

Doesn't really work for Z-Poles.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I have been eyeing the Z poles for a little while now (thanks to your buddy Leon).  Do you have the"ultra" ones or the regular ones? I am not sure of the difference other than price.  On his site, Leon had demonstrated these as well as a nice pack (the name of the pack escapes me) where there is a specific storage space for collaspable poles such as these.  I know you have your fav packs you wear so that probably isn't a good option.

They look like they fold pretty well - maybe fix something to your pack that can hold them.

I do hope to get a pair of these one day (hopefully soon).  My boys just trashed the only pair of trekking poles I have on our recent camping trip.  On a 5 mile hike they thought the poles were better for banging every blessed rock up the mountain rather than actually using them for stability.  Oh well - at least I got them out ona hike.

If you use them, be sure to report back with a review.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday