Trailer Trash

Totally Tuesday (Read 26 times)

LB2

5 to 6 after work on the trails around the house.

QOTD: Why do you run the distances/events that you run?

I think a lot of it has to do with taking one big chunk of time to completely detach from society at large. It rejuvenates my spirit. Because of that reason, I am rarely concerned with my placement in an event unless it is a shorter run like 10 miles. I just feel so overwhelmed at times with the mountain of data and information I have to process at work and just the sheer volume of information that seems to never stop streaming with technology that a 100 miles, good or bad, is a great escape. Of course, I guess I could just turn off the television and my phone, but that would not be much fun.

LB2

bagge_pants

Good Morning LB2.

It's my Saturday and I'm drinking some cup of the God's (coffee) and will go ski again near the house. We have xc ski courses 1 mile from the house. Last night ski was at the cemetery since it has lights. I'm looking fwd to the wooded area today.

QOTD: My favorite trail distances are all of the one's I've "raced"... 4 miles through 26 miles. The 4 mile one was fun since you basically run as fast as the nearest person you can latch on too, and you should always run faster then you think you can. 26 miles is fun because you get to walk when you're tired. I've only done two of those and the last one was point to point in Death Valley. I haven't done ultras before since I wanted to focus on longer events like, backpacking. I want to get into fast packing. I really like the idea of three day trips. My first fast pack attempt was a point to point about 23, 26, 28 in the desert a couple years ago. If I could I would just do those, not long term backpacking, not trail races but a bunch of three day trail running trips. I like the solitude and the blend of immersion in scenery. And carrying all that you need gives it more credibility to me for some reason.

Occasional Runner

Good morning trailers!

I took the pup down to the trail for a short jaunt. The center of my trail is getting packed down, but if I step off it, I sink to my waist. Not ideal running conditions. I did some core work when we got back.

QOTD: I enjoy 100+ miles because it's what I think I'm best at. I'm just not fast enough to be competitive at shorter distances.

AT-runner

Tim

Good morning, LB.  Hope your weather is better than our cold windy stuff.

It was 6* and blowing when I got up and I did intervals (800's) on the treadmill.  I'm waiting for Lowes to deliver a dishwasher, so cold weather was not the real reason I ran on the TM.  So far they are an hour late, so I could have headed to the mountains and been back by now .  After they get here I get to install the new appliance.  We've been 10 days without a dishwasher and it's amazing how you miss things like that when they break down.

QOTD:  I do agree with the rejuvenated spirit thing, and for me it would be personal accomplishment.  My staff put up a picture of me after a race and I was actually a bit embarrassed that patients were asking me about running for so long.  I don't run long distances to brag or to say "look what I did" on FB.  I like to keep it a personal challenge and give myself a pat on my own back.  I have no problem at all with runners who post or boast about their accomplishments, and I really enjoy reading about them (RR's are always my favorite read), but I'm not comfortable doing that (except maybe to a small online forum of like minded runners).  Plus I get tired of hearing "I don't even like to drive for 100 mile" or "who would want to stay awake for 24 hours let alone run".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

Rest day. Too cold and quads are sore from 2800' downhill sun.

qotd  First there are several races that I run almost every year. The Frostbite 10k is in feb and the first race of our season, The Apple Festival 8k  and Thomas Wolf 8k are over 40 years old. I like to run theses three races because everybody shows up.

Next I like to find a race I am interested in. The Veni Vidi Vici  looks good. Two day trail race 20.5 miles first day and 16.5 the 2nd day all trails.

If anybody is interested come on down. Race is only 20 miles from home.

XtremeTaper

With any luck, midday will be quiet and I can get in a 6-7 mile trail run with the Lady over Coventry Woods. I am starting to notice more evening daylight as there was still a hint of light when I drove the gym last night after work. This makes me happy, even if it is bitter cold and windy again today.

QOTD: A raced a variety of distances on the trail last year. The shorter ones (5k-20k) were mostly because they were local and it's good to push the pace and run hard. Sort of workouts I suppose in a race setting. The longer ones (6 hour, 12 hours, 70 miler) are mostly to test myself in another fashion I suppose, endurance, and the ability to cope with the pain and discomfort of long distance. Wow that sounds a bit sick! It's interesting though the second wind and gears you can find towards the end of a long race. Last year I remember around mile 62 of Laurel Highlands a t-storm was blowing in just as I was leaving the final station. Me and some other dude just took off into the woods like it was early in the race. The rain came down hard and it was so much fun.. hard to believe it was 14+ hours into the run the way we were moving. I've only done a few 100 milers... I consider those more of an adventure than the other long distances.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Planning on 5-8 miles on the road. It all depends on how windy it is and how many hill repeats I do. It's time to start running the real steep stuff.

QOTD:  I don't really have a interest in anything shorter than 10k. It's just over too quick. I prefer the 1/2 marathon to 30k distance. For these I know I can probably push myself to the limit without having too much stomach problems or having to think real hard about nutrition.  That allows me to enjoy the experience of being on the trail without worrying about crashing and burning.  Still, I end up running a lot of longer distances. That's mostly because there are a lot of them around and I would really like to become more proficient at the 50k to 50 mile distances.  The interesting thing is that as I look at my race schedule it will be mostly races that are longer than the 1/2 - 30k range that I prefer.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Still taking URDs because of a hacking cough, but the QOTD intrigues me.

QOTD: Over the years I'd raced every standard distance from 800m to ultra marathons (50K, 12-hour, and 24-hour) and venues from indoor tracks to trails.. The reasons for running have been as varied as the distances. With the shorter races, it's almost always been for time and place. With the move to primarily trails and ultras, it's been more for the atmosphere and camaraderie. I chose races now for who I can meet there, the scenery, the location, and the race reputation.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

AT: It was a little chilly down here this morning, but I slept. It should be around 60 when I run this afternoon. I absolutely know what you mean about posting. I feel very comfortable about writing something here and a couple of other places. I am sometimes mortified by the number of people who read a race report, so I try to make it point to not be too critical of a race director. However, that last one I ran was a total disaster. If you tell me the course is long before we start, I am okay. But when I know I have run 100 miles, and I am still several miles from the finish, even subtracting out the extra time I ran when I was lost because the course was poorly marked I get mad.

xtreme: Regarding those "gears" you find from nowhere, I felt that same thing during Cottonmouth. I was quite mad; I was quite tired; and I had eaten almost nothing the whole run. Yet, deep in the race (reported as mile 92ish but more like 98ish), I started running some really quick miles. They were fast enough that I caught up with Mike Smith (on his 99th 100 miler), and he said, "Geez, you must have been turning some fast miles late to make up that much ground on me." I don't know where that came from, but it sure felt pretty good. I would say that five or 10 mile stretch was the fastest of the whole race except maybe the time I was running after realizing we were lost. Several sub 10 minute miles coming into the last aid station.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

DW got this morning for a 3 mile run in single digits - so proud of her.  I thought for sure she would have quit by now.  I am contemplating taking today as a rest day.  Usually Wednesday are but my legs need a break.  We'll see.

So apparently all my complaining that we have no snow and now we might get snowpocalypse this weekend.  I am ok for 8-10 inches but some models give us the potential for 2-3 feet  .

QOTD: I am a lot like AT and his answer.  I don't care about bragging or even telling most people that I enjoy the longer distances (50k, 50 miles) and tough terrain.  I usually sign up as a way to keep myself going.  I love running but it's too easy to lapse in the mileage and quality runs when you don't have a race or other event to work towards.  It is definitely a personal accomplishment thing for me.  I don't even write race reports anymore on a blog (just on here).  I imagine myself giving up the races at some point and going to more of a running experience (Grand Canyon R2R2R or similar).

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

bagge_pants

Skied the course I usually run on - ~ 9miles, flat, fresh snow, single track and dirt roads, little over two hours

Wandering Wally

Going to get out for 4-5 snowy miles this evening.

QOTD: Because it's fun   My "perfect" or most preferred distance is 25K. Just long enough to know you did something, but short enough that I can have a life outside of running.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Queen of Nothing

Sue

USRD..

QOTD:  I don't know...I am trying to figure that out.  I think you people make me feel like I should be running long...than when I am training I get pissed that I signed up for a long race and "have" to get in a long run.  But then I do the race and feel good and decide to sign up for it again.  My goal (again because I failed last time I said this) is to not run races, run for fun, and maybe do more Mountain Biking with the old man.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Keep Going

Good Afternoon All.

Probably 6-8 after work on my usual flat development bike trail and development roads. Depends on how cold that damn wind is blowing if I get 8 in or not. Agree with XT on I'll deal with the cold as long as the sunlight lingers. Spring is coming..slowly even though we have some snow coming. Blah.

I have only run one 100 miler, but I feel it's my distance of choice moving forward. It has everything within it. Much more then any other distance I feel anyway. It's a massive roller coaster of every emotion the human mind can experience. It absolutely strips you down to your bare being of survival. It becomes a singular focus that you just cannot get in any other part of your life. Nothing matters but finishing. And seeing a second sunrise on the same run is life changing. You see it for the pure beauty that it is. And on top of that the challenge of all during the run of multi tasking with nutrition, and gear, and constantly monitoring your hydration and urination levels and lets face it your vital signs. 100 milers have an allure and a sexiness to them in a sick way. Maybe I'm just weird.

100 milers are my favorite

Watoni

Resolving to post and run more regularly! SRD today due to snowshoe running and skiing over the weekend that has me knackered ....

QOTD: I do prefer ultras, although I have not run many. It used to be that I was worse the longer the distance over a half marathon, so it is not because I am competitive at all. I just enjoy being out in the mountains and want it to last a number of hours Smile