Trailer Trash

Stone Mill 50 (Read 68 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

If you live within a decent radius of Maryland (or don't mind driving), Stone Mill 50 miler is a good option for a low key, low cost 50 miler that is 93.278% single track trail.  It is run on Nov. 16, 2013.  Registration opens tomorrow (8/1/13).

http://stone-mill-50-mile.org/

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

On it! Cheapest race I'll run this year too Wink

Boyjame - are you signing up? I think you were on the fence at one point?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

On it! Cheapest race I'll run this year too Wink

Boyjame - are you signing up? I think you were on the fence at one point?

I am off the fence at this point and will be signing up tomorrow.  As long as I stay healthy, I plan to be there.  (I was signed up last year but due to injury could not make it)

I love that it is cheap (not just for my own financial reasons).  The RDs really put it out there that they are the antithesis of that "other" race on the same day just a few miles away.  Last time I checked that one was over $200 for the same distance.

I am off the fence at this point and will be signing up tomorrow.  As long as I stay healthy, I plan to be there.  (I was signed up last year but due to injury could not make it)

I love that it is cheap (not just for my own financial reasons).  The RDs really put it out there that they are the antithesis of that "other" race on the same day just a few miles away.  Last time I checked that one was over $200 for the same distance.

Wow, that's ridiculous! This one seems so much more enjoyable too.

runtraildc

DS and I will be there!  Ok, not running but helping at an aid station.  We hope to meet more RA folks this year!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I will pencil this in...first 50 miler?  Very tempting.

**Ask me about streaking**

I will pencil this in...first 50 miler?  Very tempting.

Do it!

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Lets see...

Withing driving distance..check.

Fits budget... Check, even including hotel.

Fits timetable with other races...Check...

Oh Shit.  I have no excuses whatsoever.

Looks like I'm running 50 miles...

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Do I have to decide now?  Is this thing gonna sell out quick?

runtraildc

It does sell out, but I'm not sure how quickly.  There aren't many 50ks in the area and it is popular.

don't know if this really helps, though.

Couch-- you ran last year.  Did you have to register early on?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

It is a great race, and - for a 50 miler - not very difficult. I signed up in August or September last year, I think it sells out within a few weeks, so you should have some time to think about it. Not sure if I'll run it this year because of work constraints, but maybe I can strike a deal with my employer.

Run for fun.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Lodging recommendations?

mecrowe

Computer Geek

some one give me the push over the edge  Smile   The fact the Jame, Jamezilla, TnC, and others are running might just be enough for me.......but the question is, is running the LH 50k somewhat equivalent to running an "easy" 50 miler?

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Done!

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

First all Couch says it's "easy"...you have to consider what kinds of trails she is used to running - very technical with lots of PA "hills".  Stone Mill is not hilly nor would it be considered technical compared to PA trails.  The times are slower as compared to JFK mainly because the course is 90%+ of single track.

This is the fourth year for the race.  It usually takes a race 3-4 years to become popular.  I think SM already has a following (one reason being the affordable price and convience of locality) so it's not clear when it might sell out but it certainly will.  But will it be in August or later? I wouldn't wait too long though.  The price it right and worst case scenario is you lose 35 bucks.  I think they cap @ 300 runners maybe?!?

Having said all that, I am registered!!

edit: mecrowe - my longest run going into SM two years ago was a 50k.  So you could be fine - but make sure you do a 50k ish type of distance in the fall in the weeks prior to SM.