Trailer Trash

Savings-time Sunday (Read 37 times)

sugnim

I was finally able to get out on the trails for 9 great miles with over 2,000 feet of elevation gain.  My dog was ecstatic to be out on the trails again, although the time off seems to have affected her.  She tried to take a nap near the top. (pic below)

On Friday, my boss revealed to me that he has been struggling with depression & that he has been isolating himself.  I know he was trying to get into running earlier this year.  I'm wondering if I should invite him for a run sometime after work.

QOTD:  Now that the time has changed & days are getting darker, what are your best tips for beating the winter blues?

Running works the best for me.  But I also take vitamin D in the winter & turn on all (yes ALL) of the lights in the house in the evening.

Occasional Runner

Heading to Canyonlands for 8 or 9 trail miles. There are a lot of great places to run down here, but Canyonlands is hard to beat.

QOTD: The daylight hours, or lack thereof, don't really have an affect on my mood.

THe pooch and I had a nice 5 mile trail run this morning.  It was perfect Fall weather.

QOTD:  It really isn't a problem for me now that I am retired and can go for a run in daylight every day.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

muppy

Got in 4 last night

Sugnim what kind of dog do you have?  looks like my puppy a bit.

QOTD I don't have any problems with winter blues, just not enough daylight to get work done in evenings.

sugnim

Sugnim what kind of dog do you have?  looks like my puppy a bit.

She's a pure-bred mutt!  Big grin

Chnaiur

Going out for 8 in the park in a few minutes.

When I lived in Sweden - think Wisconsin weather with Alaska darkness - I used to go to the tanning salon bi-weekly in the winter. It helped me, and a lot of people did that.

People there also light a lot of candles in wintertime. That creates a coziness that you can appreciate even if its dark.

Here is how central Stockholm looked at 4:30pm today. It will continue to get darker for seven more weeks.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

AT-runner

Tim

1 hour run with DW.  It was her first run since twisting her ankle last week during a race.  She hobbled along but felt better by end of the run and now she says it feels pretty good.  We call that active recovery.

Got a call early this morning that my uncle passed away over night after a short fight with lung cancer.  My dad was the oldest of 7, so some of my uncles are not much older than me.  He was only 63, and it's very sad considering smoking took his life and was totally preventable.

QOTD:  Vitamin D3 fan as well.  I try to get as much outside activity as possible since I do get the winter blues.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

will try and get a short recovery run this afternoon

qotd: I hate changing time back and forth- I wish Montana would opt of daylight savings time like Arizona did; I had just enough time to squeeze in an evening run w/o a headlamp- now I won't, and the extra hour in the morning isn't enough time to squeeze in a morning run before work

I also hit the D3 in the fall/winter, my doctor last year told me about that

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Nothing for me today.

sugnim - absolutely invite your boss.  I am a big proponent of exercise helping as a natural intervention for depression et al.

AT - sorry to hear about your uncle.

QOTD: snow running is my way of throwing off the blues.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

15 this morning, so I ended up with b2b 15s this weekend.  I was running with two other guys who were doing 20 today and they wanted to go slow, which was fine with me.  Lots of people around here are gearing up for the Houston Marathon in January.  The weather was great, about 45 and low humidity.

sugnim: give it a go. Also, nice photo.

AT runner: Sorry.

qotd: not really affected.  But I run a lot in the dark even in the summer (early morning to beat the heat) so maybe I'm used to it.

tbd.

Wandering Wally

Getting geared up for 10 miles this evening.  In the dark.

QOTD - I'll have to give that vitamin D3 stuff a try.  I try to get outside for a little bit when we get some sun.  Staying active helps.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

10.5 on the mountain while the kids were hiking on the ridge trail. It was great weather, just a bit cool and windy, but we all made it through and felt great, despite some frozen hands.

My headache went away after 6 or 7 miles, but the nausea is still lingering - 4 days of this now, and I've lost 3+ pounds because food just doesn't look good to me, no matter how delicious it probably is.

AT: Sorry to hear about your uncle.

sugnim: Great picture, nice doggie.

Chnaiur: Candles are fun, I like them, too. Europeans seem to have more of a "candlelight" tradition for the long winter evenings.

QOTD: My secret weapon against the running blues are group runs. Even though I usually like running by myself and prefer it over group runs, I enjoy the socializing and group support when winter drags out so long that I loose some of my mojo.

Candles work well for me, too.

Generally I'm not much affected by long winter nights.

Run for fun.

muppy

She's a pure-bred mutt!  Big grin

That's what mine is, they guess a terrier-boxer mix from a shelter. I'd post a pic for comparison sake,but don't think I can from iPhone.

AT runner, sorry about your uncle.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Sorry for your loss AT

Good Evening all,

17 miles on the trails for the first time in a month.  My running hasn't been great lately and I needed a run to convince myself that I could still cover 50 miles at current fitness level.  After a 17 mile loop I decided I could wrap my head around doing that 2 more times.

I taped the NYC marathon and watched the elites this afternoon.  The NYC marathon is going on my bucket list...looks like a great experience and I'm sure I could have fun with it.

QOTD: I function well in the winter...I don't do well in the cold weather (due to lack of insulation) but mentally I feel like I have a nice peak in the winter.

**Ask me about streaking**

Queen of Nothing

Sue

13.5 today.   It was downhill 4 miles, flat along the lake 5 miles living a climb out.

AT:  Sorry about your Uncle.  A friend of my parents had severe emphysema from smoking, he went from a great guy to a very bitter guy...we think it was the guilt from having caused this awful disease himself.  He died at 65.

Sugnim:  Definitely take him running.

QOTD:     The winter doesn't bother me...I look forward to slowing down, kicking back, and sleeping in.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄