Trailer Trash

headlamps (Read 49 times)

Birdwell

So after going through 5 Princeton Tec headlamps (primarily Fuel and Remix) in the last year, I finally shelled out money and bought a Black Diamond Revolt.

Why 5 in the last year? I use a headlamp on a daily basis at work. The ones for work get a little bit of not so gentle treatment. I've broken them in a variety of ways. I had one on top of my hat once, and took my hat off without removing the lamp first. It hit the ground and broke into 4 pieces. The latest one broke when I opened up the battery door. The hook to close the door broke off, so I used electrical tape to hold it back together.

I also was going through batteries at an alarming rate. (No, not using rechargeable's) So I heard some folks talk about  the Revolt and I thought I'd take a chance. It has rechargeable batteries and it charges through a USB port in the side. It works out great because my phone charger fits it, so I can charge it while I drive.  The cost was a little more than I wanted to spend ($60 at the local outdoor store. It's cheaper online, but I needed it that day) but when I figure I was spending $20-30 each for the Princeton Tec's, it's not that expensive. The strap  on it has taken some getting used to. The material is a little slicker than what I'm used to so I've noticed it slipping a few times. I have yet to run with it.

What do you use and why? what do you like/dislike about it?

Occasional Runner

I really like the ReVolt. I have two of them fully charged and ready to go when I run 100's but have never had to swap one out. The batteries carry me through the entire night. I hope you enjoy it.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

On the night run with my pacers, we compared headlamps: Princeton Tech Vizz (me), Black Diamond ReVolt (Jamie), and Petzl Tikka 2 (my running buddy). The Princeton Tech Vizz was the brightest, the Petzl Tikka 2 the lowest, but they all were good enough for running on the trails. We used a second light source (handheld small flashlight), which improved the conditions a lot, so that the difference in headlamp brightness did not matter that much any more.

Still, Jamie felt that he would prefer a brighter headlamp, but on the other hand, he was the one who was not used to the technical trails in my area, and that might have played a role.

If you run a lot on technical trails, a bright headlamp is great, but once you are used to that kind of trail, you can run there with a less bright light just as well. For a race, where I do not know the trails, I'd prefer a bright lamp, though.

I like the Princeton Tech Vizz because it is the lightest of the headlamps in this league, and I like that it is very easy to operate.

What I don't like so much is that the tilting mechanism may be too loose. If you are lucky, you pick a lamp with a good, tighter hinge, but if not, that lamp will constantly "fall" into the most tilted position, which is really annoying and dangerous. I got mine at REI, so exchanging the first lamp was not a problem, but it cost time and energy, and I was disappointed (that was resolved with the new lamp, now I'm happy with it).

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

On the night run with my pacers, we compared headlamps: Princeton Tech Vizz (me), Black Diamond ReVolt (Jamie), and Petzl Tikka 2 (my running buddy). The Princeton Tech Vizz was the brightest, the Petzl Tikka 2 the lowest, but they all were good enough for running on the trails. We used a second light source (handheld small flashlight), which improved the conditions a lot, so that the difference in headlamp brightness did not matter that much any more.

Still, Jamie felt that he would prefer a brighter headlamp, but on the other hand, he was the one who was not used to the technical trails in my area, and that might have played a role.

I don't have a revolt.  I was running with a "cheap" headlamp I had bought at Target a couple years back.  I can't think of the brand but it's not a black diamond.  Having said that, I literally recieved in the mail today the Black Diamond Storm.  It looks to be a bit cheaper than the Revolt.  Doesn't appear to take the recharable batteries (or should I say it doesn't have the USB function to recharge while in the light.  I will let you know when I try it out but has to be better than my other one.

Marie - I am ready.  Better lamp should prove to be helpful for me.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Watoni

I use the Petzl Nao. I swapped batteries during Leadville as a precaution but  could have likely gone on one battery. Thye reactive lighting is great and even the low setting is quite bright when you need it. On high it is a monster.

Daydreamer1

I just picked up a Princeton Tec EOS Bike today at the bike shop. Took it out for a evening run and used it for the last two miles. It seems bright enough and has 3 different settings plus a flash. The lowest setting is good enough to run on uneven dirt roads. I had to tighten the hinge some as it wanted to drop down.

I also brought home a Princeton Tec Apex. This one has more of a harness because it has 4 AA batteries that are held at the back of your head.

After just one run I'm not sure I like head lamps. I will probably return the Apex and just spend some time working with the EOS. I'm thinking of trying to use a chest strap or fasten it to my belt to see how that works. I think I'm going to prefer just using a small handheld flashlight.

Birdwell

I found that the Princeton Tec lamps fit perfectly on the chest strap of my race vest.

The way the strap goes through the lamp makes it really easy to thread onto nearly anything.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm also using a revolt- I like the rechargeable batteries, but I also like that it takes AAA's as well.  Lithium AAA's are very light, work great in freezing cold and last a long time.

I also use a Zebralight H31 on my waist, the combo of the two lights works really (really) well, but I'd like to find another lamp that preferably ran on a single AAA battery (the H31 runs on a CR123)- might even just go w/ two revolts if need be.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I took my Black Diamond Storm out for a test run yesterday early am. And while I was not in the middle of a dark forrest, it was dark where I was and the headlamp worked well (as compared to my Kelty). It is a bit heavy and I think I will need some sort of headband to protect my forehead.  The light is good but it's not so comfortable.

Has anyone ever used Knucke lights as an alternative?

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No, I wonder if they would be bright enough for trails.

Occasional Runner

I've never heard a good review on knuckle lights.

Each one is 45 lumens, so overall same intensity as the Black Diamond spot.   I think they throw a wider beam though, which might be helpful.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Jenny (learnedfoot) has tried them, I believe.  I think she said they were better for being seen than for seeing, but I could be wrong.

Running is dumb.