Trailer Trash

OT: Pyrenees Itinerary (Read 28 times)

Watoni

Well, I have my itinerary (below) for the cycling trip ... glad they made it harder this year. I have a rest day in Oloron. Hoping to get in a run on the rest day with a little bit of vertical, and maybe hike some. Any experience in this area?

Cheers,

Jeff

Pyrenees

Dates : 16th to 26th September 2013. (THIS EVENT IS NOW SOLD OUT)

The 2013 route features an entirely new Stage 9 and ‘tweaked’ stages 7 and10. Details below.

The Pyrenees Cent Cols Challenge: The most rural of the three routes, and the most ‘technical’. Ten days without crossing a major town to the sound of cascading water and cowbells, the tranquil beauty of these mountains will work their way to your heart. Steeper climbs and some rougher roads make this Challenge perhaps a little harder than the Alps.

Stage One: Rivesaltes (Perpignan) to Ax-les-Thermes

Stats: 207kms. 4,450 metres climbing. 14 Cols.

Main climbs: Pailheres, Pradel, Marmare, Chioula

Description: After warming up legs on the hills still guarded by the ruins of Catharre castles, the duo of the Pailheres and Pradel take you up into the mountains in uncompromising style. The stage is set for what is to follow.

Stage Two: Ax-les-Thermes to Bagneres-de-Luchon

Stats: 206kms. 4,300 metres climbing. 12 Cols.

Main climbs: Port, Peguerre, Crouzette, Portet d’Aspet, Ares, Port de Bales

Description: After a fast downhill section to Tarascon begins a series of dramatic climbs with panoramic views. The Port de Bales,as the final climb of the day, will be one of the hardest moments of the whole ride. A tough stage.

Stage Three: Bagneres-de-Luchon to Argeles-Gazost

Stats: 204kms. 5,170 metres climbing. 9 Cols?

Main climbs: Peyresourde (east), Aspin, Beyrede, Tramassel (Hautacam)

Description: A trio of serious climbs means almost 2,000 metres of climbing in the first 50 kms of the stage! A relatively gentler part in the middle of the day?will provide some recovery time before facing the Hautacam at the end of the stage. Heroic stuff.

Stage Four: Argeles-Gazost to Larrau

Stats: 178kms. 4,400 metres climbing. 15 Cols

Main climbs: Spandelles, Marie Blanque, Labays, Pic d’Issarbe

Description: The first of two stages with a distinctive Basque flavour. This wild area provides a magical mix of Classic climbs and hidden pearls. ?Cow-bells take over from car-horns. The Pyrenees at their best. But watch out for the climb up to the Pic d’Issarbe, Soudet side!

Stage Five: Larrau to Oloron

Stats: 203kms. 4,700 metres climbing. 17 Cols

Main climbs: Soudet, Pierre St Martin, Port Larrau, Bagargui

Description: The tough climb up the Soudet sets the tone for this stage in the wildest part of the Pyrenees. A dip into Spain to come back over the Port de Larrau makes a striking contrast to the intimate climbs of the French side. Riders will hopefully be able to enjoy a fast run-in to Oloron before ?a well-deserved rest day.

Stage Six: Oloron to St. Lary-Soulan

Stats: 199kms. 5,540 metres climbing. 6 Cols?

Main climbs: Aubisque, Soulor, Tourmalet, Ancizan, Portet(Pla d’Adet

Description: A day with the Giants heading back eastwards towards the more familiar part of the Pyrenees. Rested legs will hopefully be ready to face another challenging stage of iconic climbs. But some will choose to opt out of the Pla d’Adet at the end of the stage…

Stage Seven: St Lary-Soulan to Oust

Stats: 195kms. 5,400 metres climbing. 7 Cols ('tweaked' for 2013)

Main climbs: Azet, Peyresourde (west), Hospice de France, Portillon, Artegous, Menté, Core

Description: Another 'tweaked' stage for 2013 : a beautiful collection of climbs that often figure on Le Tour but that are not considered ‘big’ climbs. Riders may disagree with that after this stage. The views from the tops across the pastoral valleys are some of the most picturesuqe of the whole Pyreneean range. Two new climbs, including the devilish Hospice de France!

Stage Eight: Oust to Saillagouse

Stats: 186kms. 5,260 metres climbing. 9 Cols

Main climbs: Latrappe, Agnes, Pailheres (west), Quillane

Description: Another intense start to the day with three big climbs in the first 50 kms. However, after a 'revenge' return to the Pailheres, the stage develops into one for the Rouleurs as the route?heads towards Spain again. (By going up the other side of Pailheres we avoid going round through Andorra, which is a busy road at any time of the year.)

Stage Nine: Saillagouse to Vernet-les-Bains

Stats: 185kms. 4,400 metres climbing. 10 Cols? (new for 2013)

Main climbs: Font-Romeu, Llose, Portus, Fins, Mantet, Ste. Eusebe

Description: Totally new stage for 2013 : lots of relatively unknown climbs and some more wild roads as this stage explores the Ceddarh region before heading east towards some pearls of the Pyrenees Orientales. A fierce penultimate stage!

Stage Ten: Prades to Rivesaltes (Perpignan)

Stats: 185kms. 3,700 metres climbing. 8 Cols ('tweaked' for 2013)

Main climbs: Jau, Aussieres, Roque-Jalere, Auzines

Description: The final stage offers superb views of this beautiful area used by many pro’s for their winter training. Quiet country roads lead riders all the way back to Rivesaltes, via more ‘lesser’ climbs…The beauty of this stage assures an overdose of images to take home.

Basque Country Route Map Team Pill, never far away. The rustic beauty of the Western Pyrenees. sun, wind, power... The stunning Col de Port Can I do this thing? On the Road to Somewhere... Port de Bales. It feels good afterwards.

© Cent Cols Challenge 2008-2012 | Philip Deeker | info@centcolschallenge.com | RSS
    Design from Simon Clayson Design

Chnaiur

Very nice - you will have a blast! I've been twice, and both times I really enjoyed both the nature and the food. If your family is coming with you and is looking for a cool place to stay, they could check Chateau de Portos out. It is an old mansion where the musketeer Portos lived the final years of his life. The people who own it are really nice, and is it quite close to Oloron.

I was also going to suggest you go to Biaritz for some cool scenery and maybe surfing, but you won't be close enough.

Enjoy this awesome trip!

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Birdwell

help me with a little knowledge here, when it says "14 cols" or "12 cols", what is a cols?

other than that, with that much climbing and that much distance, have fun!

Watoni

A "col" is a mountain pass (generally the space between two peaks).

The challenge is to hit 100 of these in 10 days. I am more drawn by hitting almost all the major climbs in two weeks, 100 or not ...

Kilian ran across the Pyrenees, so there must be trails Wink

Daydreamer1

Looks fantastic. I would love to do a European tour sometime. Something that would include a lot of hills and tours of castles.

I'm sure with that amount of climbing you'll have lots of fun.

Low_O2

Wow, that looks awesome! I was a cyclist(mostly Mt bike, but some roadie stuff) before I got into running and wish I had time to get in more riding than I currently do. No experience there for me, but have fun!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Oh, that looks and sounds just great, though very challenging.

I know the Pyrenees from traveling there many years ago, and it should be a really rural route. One bonus of the Pyrenees is that despite their rough and rugged look, the altitude is not quite as high as in some places in the Rockies, but the many mountains and passes that you will cross will definitely make for a very exhausting trip. The daily distances seem insane to me, considering the elevation gains.

Good luck to you, and enjoy the trip!

Run for fun.