Trailer Trash

Anyone tried to combine Endurolytes and S-caps? (Read 50 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

On long runs, I usually do well with Endurolytes, about 2 capsules per hour in moderate temperatures. They work well for me especially to prevent/treat cramping, even when the cramps result from running too hard, and not from a lack of electrolytes due to losses. Looking at the nutrition label, I assume the vitamin B6 might be mainly responsible for relieving/preventing muscle cramps, not the electrolytes.

The Endurolytes provide only 40mg of sodium per capsule. I hot temperatures on very long runs, most runners need about 500 to 1000mg of sodium per hour. Probably about half of that, or less, in moderate temps? So obviously, the Endurolytes cannot provide all or most of the sodium you need to keep going.

I guess Hammer Nutrition assume you get sodium also from other sources, like sports drink (HEED has only 40mg of sodium per 100 calories serving, Gatorade has 200mg per 100 calories), or food. For me, the combination of Hammer products has always worked well, despite the relatively low sodium (or electrolyte) levels, but I've used them only in cool or moderate temperatures.

However, assuming that it's a hot day, and you don't eat sodium-heavy foods (or liquids), and your drink is either low-sodium (like HEED), or water, I assume it makes sense to take another supplement on those very long (6+ hours) runs.

S-caps provide enough sodium, and some potassium, to go long distances, but no vitamin B6. I am thinking of combining Endurolytes and S-caps, or using S-caps and a vitamin B6 supplement.

Anyone ever tried a combination like this?

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

I take one S-caps every hour or so when I'm going longer than 2 hours.  Especially in the hotter months down here in TX.  I also drink PowerAde or other electrolyte drink and do a Gel at about the same time as I pop an S-cap.  i sweat like crazy and this amount of intake under humid and warm conditions has served me well over the years.

Sometimes during official races (like the recent Hells Hill 50 miler) there are E-caps available at the aid stations.  If I'm due for a Gel and S-cap, I'll sometimes take a Gel and two E-caps off the table instead of digging them out of the stuff I am carrying.  I haven't noticed any difference between taking one S-cap or taking two E-caps.

Hope this helps.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

Too many people try to use HEED as their electrolyte replacement drink for long runs and it's not really designed for that. I would scrap that idea entirely. I don't take pills of any kind when I run because there's always a point where I can no longer choke them down. This is why I really like using Hammer Endurolyte Fizz as my source of electrolyte replacement. You can adjust the concentration as needed and it has everything you need. All the different manufacturers use varying ingredients, but the Hammer Endurolyte pills have a pretty weak concentration of sodium, but there's more to electrolyte replacement than sodium. Excessive amounts of sodium can be very bad too. But the hope is you'll be using something in addition to the pills. You have to hydrate anyway, so Fizz with seems like the best option. Kill two birds with one stone.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I have but I finally quit using Endurolytes and just used S!caps which work much better here in the desert for me . So far this year I have been trying Tailwind which I really like  , it's an all in one product and it can go in your vest bladder .

Valerienv - care to comment about Tailwind? I'm intrigued based on some good reviews.