Trailer Trash

Say Hello To Winter Sundaily (Read 32 times)

moonlightrunner

I think to my western neighbors (Mandy and Harrier)....they might be greeting some snow and it is headed my way. Not a lot...just a harbinger of things to come.

Last night I ended up with 10 on the bike path. Like Gator the other da. there was the advantage of a full moon...or nearly full....but it was diffused through cloud cover. Still...the open nature of the tree cover and smooth surface of the I-94 of a bike path they ruined my single track with, I was able to run sans headlamp. In about an hour I am meeting my run buddy for a 10 miler on the trail.

I need to start gathering winter stuff. Last night my toes got cold...and it was only raining. I soon will have to shift to my water shoes and wool socks. I might pick up some inexpensive long sleeved tops...Walmart actually has some decent ones....leading me to...

Qotd: Are you planning the purchase of any winter gear this year? Other than shirts, I am planning on buying snowshoes this year. Probably Dion's...not the racing...but the slightly bigger Fitness model. They are predicting a lot of snow this year. Between their dire predictions and my purchase of snowshoes...we probably won't get more than a couple of inches.

Have a great day everyone!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Off to work in a minute, run later.

Yesterday's run was wonderful, although it started out tediously, and I felt like a hippopotamus. But later, things improved, and I realized it was the first time in a few weeks that I did not get dizzy on the first three miles. It was a slow run, but I'll take that as trade-off for no dizziness any time!

QOTD: Yesterday, I realized that many of my winter shirts, and my three sweaters/jackets are really getting old now. Not fluffy and soft any more, rather like roughed-up plastic armors. So maybe I'll invest into some new jackets this year, and perhaps another pair of mittens.

moonlight: for snowshoeing, I have a pair of neoprene booties to keep my toes warm. Helps a lot, before that, they would often freeze up to the point of slight frostbite, which can ruin an otherwise nice hike.

Enjoy the day, runners!

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

I planned to do a slow 15 to 20 miles today because I was a bit beat up from Saturday's run.  I went out about 10 miles along the river, which is flat and soft.  It's actually a paved path, but it is rubberized, think of a long and winding all-weather track.  Then turned around.  The river kind or circles the 'mountain' trails that I've been running on so basically when I'm at the turnaround point if I head straight home as the crow flies, I have to go over the 'mountain'.  Well since I was tired of running on the paved path, that's what I did.  I knew it would cut short the miles, but it would actually take longer and it would take a lot more effort. Now my legs are really beat up from the weekend, but it feels good.

By the way the Korean baseball championship series is on at the moment, it's all tied up 2 games apiece.  The Samsung Lions out of Taegu are playing the Nexen Heroes out of Seoul.

qotd: I've been living in TX the last 15 years and it is getting cold here (the temps are like NY), so I figure I'm going to need a coat before too long. Running-wise I'm ok.

tbd.

Occasional Runner

I'm going for an easy run or hike down here in Moab before we head back north. I just want to get the blood flowing in my legs before sitting in the truck for 4 hours.

Utah is having an unusually warm fall and there's no immediate sign of cooling of precipitation. I'm ok with that.

QOTD: I have more cold weather crap than I could possibly need, so I have no plans for anything new. My cold weather budget is dedicated to traveling away from the cold weather.

AT-runner

Tim

Ran a few easy trail miles this morning.  No hunting allowed on Sundays in PA, so did not see a single truck or person.  It was very windy the past 2 days which blew away some of the leaves from the trails.  Now I can see where most of the rocks are again.

moon - I have 2 "cheapo" Walmart long sleeve tops, and they've held up better than the expensive brand ones.

QOTD:  DW says I need some new tops that are "less smelly" than my current ones. So I either have to buy some new ones or find some cleaning product that really works.  Any cleaning solutions?  We bought some detergent at the LRS, but didn't work that well.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

That was a mother of a trail 5k yesterday. Between snow, mud, and the hills it was a short but intense run. Had to actually walk 3 hills because of the steepness. Funny.  A slow but good time. I have no idea as far as my placement as I changed and left right away.

A little more snow here overnight and as soon as the coffee is done I will go take down a tree and do some cutting and stacking. I will stop at one of my favorite trails on the way out and do 10-12. Should be just beautiful with a couple inches of this white stuff. Big winter storm rolling in tomorrow up here. The weather service is saying 8-16 inches. 

QOTD--Nothing planned as like Lace I too have more stuff then I need. I have been doing the opposite over the last few weeks and going thru gear and stuff and tossing. Trying to simplify to some extent.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Utah is having an unusually warm fall and there's no immediate sign of cooling of precipitation. I'm ok with that.

Brace yourself for a change. That super storm in Alaska is supposed to send the lower 48 into a deep freeze.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Seems like our forecast changed and we're no longer set to get a massive snow dump tomorrow, but possibly some on Tuesday.  And then the highs in the 20s come later in the week...    I.  Am.  Not.  Ready.  For.  This.  Bullshit.

Sunny and windy at the moment, so I'll head out with the dog for 5-6 miles this morning, then checking out some new mountain bike trails near me this afternoon.

QOTD: Maybe this will be the winter I suck it up and buy some waterproof shoes and gaiters.  I keep meaning to do so for snowshoe running, but then I just figure I'll make do with what I have and I regret it every year.

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

AT: try washing the clothes twice (regular cycle) with a brand name detergent, then once with Penguin Wash. Worked for my stuff. If not, you can still toss the smelly shirts. Mandy: I ise neopren booties iver my trail shoes for snowshoeing, after a few experiences of badly frozen feet last year. Warm enough for me. The cheap ones (for biking, around $15-20) work just as well for me as any expensive ones could (you can spend $70-120 on booties, if you take the fancy brand name ones).

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

Sitting at work for 24 hours so this is a SRD. Probably for the best. I felt pretty good yesterday and had a nice run, then this morning I woke up feeling like I got run over by a truck.

QOTD: Maybe some micro spikes and I might try a pair of running tights.

Occasional Runner

Brace yourself for a change. That super storm in Alaska is supposed to send the lower 48 into a deep freeze.

The weather maps show it missing Utah and the SW states. They're calling for continued warmth while the rest of the country falls into a deep freeze.

moonlightrunner

I ran 9 difficult miles with my run buddy. I developed pain on the top of one foot last night... and it really bothered me today. I will rest it tomorrow and hope it is OK. I had to walk down hills and through the deep sand areas. Not the run I had hoped for...but these days every run is a win.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The weather maps show it missing Utah and the SW states. They're calling for continued warmth while the rest of the country falls into a deep freeze.

How did Utah manage that? The East Coast is expected to be 20 degrees below normal and we're more than 2000 miles further east of the storm.  No need to answer. I'm just complaining because I have an intense dislike of cold weather.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Occasional Runner

How did Utah manage that? The East Coast is expected to be 20 degrees below normal and we're more than 2000 miles further east of the storm.  No need to answer. I'm just complaining because I have an intense dislike of cold weather.

I know...I thought it was odd, too. Only a few areas are going to be spared and I'm not complaining!!

runtraildc

Finished my 10k road race this morning.  Beautiful morning on the bay here, water smooth as glass.  All that road was hard on the feet, though.  I'll get out back on the trails tomorrow.

AT- I've been washing my running stuff with a scoop of baking soda or OxyClean added with the soap.  And vinegar added at the end, instead of fabric softener with a lot of success.

qotd:  Nothing planned.  I'm pretty well stocked up and don't need anything.