Trailer Trash

A Noob Convert; Shoe Question (Read 50 times)

hog4life

I went on my 2nd trail run this morning, and face planted in the mud. Sound about right? Dam enablers.....

I was invited to this group, and it was suggested to ask my question here. I typically wear Brooks and Mizuno for the wider toe box. Without telling me to go to the LRS, what trail shoes are comparable? I also wear a stability model, are trail shoes classed the same?

Thanks for the input.

Mitch

NorthernHarrier

Welcome,   I'm not very good at suggesting shoes as everyone has a different stride, biomechanics, tastes' and trail types they run.

I guess first off I would say that it is fine to run trails in some road shoes. Sometimes they can even work as good or better.  And second- many of us here have quite a collection of trail shoes in our active rotation and we still manage to do some real nice face plants too. Main thing on face plants are to not fight it as you are going down but learn to kind of roll to soften the impact.

As far as Brooks and Mizuno--I know a lot of people here like the Brooks Cascadia line. My daughter has a pair that she really likes. I had one pair of Mizuno trail shoes and while I can't remember which model off the top of my head I do remember that I thought they kinda sucked for me.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hey, Mitch!  Glad to see you over here Smile

I can only answer for women's shoes, but I imagine models would be similar between genders.  I have a wide foot and I wear Montrail Mountain Masochists for most of my trail running.  And like I said before, Pearl Izumis tend to be popular and run wide.  I tried a pair of Cascadias a while back (many models ago) and didn't like the feel of them, but yeah, lots of people love them.

And what NorthernHarrier said is very, very true too -- we all will take a few face plants every now and again, shoes or no shoes, fancy gear or no fancy gear.  I hope you stick around; we could use some new folk around.  It can get a little quiet here on the weekends, but tends to pick up during the week.

Running is dumb.

You might consider Saucony Xodus - reasonably wide forefoot, neutral but it's got a firm sole which provides the little bit of support that works for me. I've been running in vs 3 (stocked before discontinued, but have 3 pairs up to 700 mi and not retiring them yet), but they're up to 5 now. I know 4 had a rocker in it, which doesn't work for me. They supposedly fixed some of the traction issues with a stickier sole, as I understand it. 4 mm heel to toe drop.

Brooks Adrenaline ASR - If you get the wide, it's about the same toe box width as the Xodus. It's a stability shoe, BUT that means it provides control where I don't want it. It doesn't provide the torsional control that my feet like. IOW the stability shoe has less support for *me* than the neutral shoe.

Brooks Cascadia - liked the original version, then they started making the toe box more narrow to the point of being a deal breaker. Have no idea where they are now.

And yes, you can still face plant in any of these.

Or you can continue to use road shoes. I switched from road to trail shoes about 10 yr ago since they worked better for my feet (fit, biomechanics) than the available road shoes. Trail shoes tend to have wider toe boxes.

Yea, a visit to a decent shoe store can help with fit. If they don't have what you're looking for, I've used Zappo's (free shipping both ways, even to Alaska.)  RunningWarehouse has some well organized specs for the models they carry. They also have ShoeFitr which can help you assess fit - both volume and planar. Not perfect, but at least helps you make a first approximation.

Have fun!

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

some call me Tim

Another vote for road shoes in many situations... I've been running in Inov-8 Trailrocs which have a nice wide toebox but are snug by midfoot. There are a few options for cushioning and drop, but although they're not super flexible to my knowledge they don't have stability features in any of their shoes.

Birdwell

+4 (or is it 5?) for the road shoes. And +1 on the welcome to trailer trash!

I tried dedicated trail shoes for a while, never found "the one" and started running in Ghosts and Kinvaras's and most recently a pair of Altra Instinct 2.0

I've yet to meet a situation where I needed any more than that (well, I guess some icy, slushy spots have gotten me a few times, but that's another story)

moonlightrunner

What kind of terrain do you normally run on? I live in SW lower Michigan and run on mostly wooded trails. Your shoe choice is very dependent on what you run on. Road shoes work well for some situations. Many around here use multiple shoes.  welcome to the forum. You will likely not willingly return to the road!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

New Balance MT 1210 have worked well for me as someone whose normal road shoe are Brooks Ghosts.  The NB have a wider toe box which works for me.

You people have issues 

hog4life

NH, thanks for the input, I too have several pair in rotation. I used a pair of Nike Structure this past weekend and liked them better than the Brooks Trance I used the week before. They have about 600 miles on them, so I'm skeptical about how much longer I can use them.

Mandy, I looked at a pair of the Montrails last time I was at the LRS, and really liked them. Next time I'll try them on, and have a look at the PI. Haha, the face plant was just me not picking my foot up high enough to clear the rock/root. I plan to stick around, and will have plenty of trail crap to share since I have signed up for a few races this winter and spring. I'm actually pretty excited about them.

AK, I've tried the Saucony in road shoes, and they were waaaaaay to narrow. I use Running Warehouse too, so am familiar, just need to find which shoe.

blar, bird, thanks for the input

moonlight, I'm from SE MI originally(Detroit, dad still lives there), but have been in Arkansas and Alabama most all my life. I'm currently near Huntsville Alabama, and run the trails in Monte Sano State Park. The terrain is wooded and rocky, and has some pretty significant, at least for around here, elevation changes. Lots of low spots for standing and running water, plateaus are rather muddy because the trails are very well used. As far as not going back to the road, that's unlikely. The trails are almost 45-60 minutes drive depending on traffic. I run 4-5 times per week, so for now, the trail running will be limited to one day per weekend.

FSocks, I spotted the 1210 on RW but would like to try them on. The NB road models are too narrow.

AK, I've tried the Saucony in road shoes, and they were waaaaaay to narrow. I use Running Warehouse too, so am familiar, just need to find which shoe.

Right. Road shoes are typically more narrow. The width of trail shoes is why I generally use trail shoes - and even then, many models are still too narrow.

I'd agree though, that Montrail is likely to have wider shoes than traditional running companies.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      AT-runner

Tim

Don't have much to add, except welcome.  Trails are addictive, and the more you run on them the more comfortable you will feel.

I used the Mizuno Wave Ascend trail shoe for years, but they discontinued it.  Now I use Altras, which have very large toe box, but you need to get used to the Zero drop.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

hog4life

Don't have much to add, except welcome.  Trails are addictive, and the more you run on them the more comfortable you will feel.

I used the Mizuno Wave Ascend trail shoe for years, but they discontinued it.  Now I use Altras, which have very large toe box, but you need to get used to the Zero drop.

I'm very hesitant about zero drop. I have a couple of friends that made a switch, and had nothing but injuries until they ditched them. I'll be staying with a traditional shoe.

Addictive? Yes, especially since I love colder weather and the outdoors, namely the woods.

Daydreamer1

FSocks, I spotted the 1210 on RW but would like to try them on. The NB road models are too narrow.

Welcome to the forum.  Most of the NB shoes I've had fit slightly snug across the forefoot. The 1210 has extra room in the toe box . They were designed with the ultra runner in mind, so NB made them wider to accommodate the foot swelling on long runs.  For me they are looser then the other NB shoes I've had. I also found them to do a good job in almost all types of terrain. They are my second favorite shoe.

My go to shoes are Hokas. I prefer the Mafates for the trail and Bondi's for the road. I mostly like the extra cushioning but I do find them to run a little big in the toe box.  Just another option for you. Of course the hardest thing about buying running shoes is the massive amount of options available.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Am I the only one who thinks Hokas run on the narrow side?

You people have issues 

Occasional Runner

Am I the only one who thinks Hokas run on the narrow side?

Never had them on my feet, but that's the feedback I hear all the time.