Trailer Trash

White blaze in the corner of my eye Saturdailies (Read 26 times)

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning trailers,

I had my first black bear sighting this morning, what a thrill.

I did a nice loop at dawn, a few miles of it on the AT (white blaze). Temps were

in the low 30's but I was ready with my winter gear.

QOTD: Any recent or interesting wildlife sightings?

I saw a black bear. Also, a few days ago I saw a buck running past me with an arrow

stuck out of its hind quarter. Either it was from a hunter with terrible aim or just some
    kids messing around.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Jon - good to hear from you.

I did the unthinkable last night.  I ran 19 miles at the gym on the TM.  Yes, I did and I should be banished from this forum forever.  I needed a LR and just didn't have the time to get out on the trails.  Fall weekends are way too busy! But it's done, I am alive, although I was close to dying from boredom.

Now off to do lots...and lots...and lots of stuff.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  Going out with the local ultra group for a 19-ish mile run (it's our 30k don't fence me in course- it's a dandy with lots of technical and lots of vert)  Should be interesting as temps are cool- 40's and it looks like light rain for the next several hours- should have some more data points on my hybrid jacket.

Jon- nice to see you back on TT!

Jamies- Holy Hell- I've done a couple in the 10-12 mile range- it was tough

qotd: I did see two nice bull elk hunting mid-week, but no luck getting on them; the other day I was running and saw a large object come out of tree- it turns out it was a large hornet/wasp nest, thought that was odd it would just fall out- then looked up and saw a magpie in the tree- he had managed to knock it off- my guess is there could have been a lot of larvae in it and he was looking for a meal- they are pretty smart birds 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Getting ready to head out for 18 miles.....should be hard with the awesome training I've been doing.

QOTD:  It's been a long time so umm no.

Jamie:  Miles on treadmill are not allowed in our run off!!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

muppy

6.3 last night, even did 8 x 1/2 mile repeats.

Jonferg,  it's exciting to see a bear!

19 miles on a treadmill I'm glad you survived !

QOTD We were at Assateague Island earlier in the week. We were hiking around looking for the wild horses who were all hiding. There was two nice size buck  standing about 15" away and one kept lifting his head and pointing to the trail for us to leave.

runtraildc

Morning folks.  Just got back from a 5 miler with the running group.  We have a new meeting spot at a local coffe shop, so that's mighty convenient at the end.  Went into rock creek, but these folks are road runners, so we stuck to the road.  Still quite pretty though.

qotd:  had a near heart attack - fright by a chipmunk in the leaves yesterday.   Jonferg- that's pretty cool about the bear.

NorthernHarrier

Raining like crazy all day so far with temps about 40F. DD's boyfriend helped me get one pier out so far and after lunch we'll do the other one. Plan on getting out on the trails a little later, rain be damned but probably only 5-6 miles with a  longer run tomorrow.

QOTD-- Saw another white deer a couple days ago here.

Queen and Jamie-- Yeah, treadmill miles are questionable in your battle. We should probably get a ruling from someone on that. Not to mention questioning the sanity of someone who would actually do that. 

Daydreamer1

Planning on 7+ miles to finish out the month. Not really feeling like doing anything, but I'll get it done even if I have to walk part of it.

Jon - Good to see you around.  That deer with the arrow is why I won't bow hunt.  I have a few friends that do and a couple of them have some good stories to tell and have bagged some fabulous deer.  The problem is you have to spend at least several hours a week, all year long practicing.  I just don't have the time, especially if I want to run. Too many people think they can buy a $1000 bow, shoot a few shots and head out. Then they just wound the animal instead of killing it.

Jamie - No, no, no, no!!!!!! We're not banning you from the forum.  You have too many interesting posts.

QOTD:  Been seeing a lot of deer, but then it's fall in Pa so that's normal. Otherwise I've been sticking to the roads too much to see anything. About two months ago I did see a bear about a mile from the house. The biggest reason that's notable is because we live in farm country and really shouldn't have bears here.

AT-runner

Tim

Went to a viewing this morning and then out for 7 miles with DW on one of our many hidden trails. We parked at an AT trail head lot that was packed, so decided to skip the AT and do one of the lesser know trails. When we got back to the car, we saw about 10 hikers getting ready to head out for a day hike and they saw we came from a different direction and wanted to know what trail we came off. I told them we had just stopped to have sex in the woods and DW hit my arm and they laughed. I didn't want them using my trail. 

Jon - hope you are doing well.

Jamie - WTF.  I think 12-13 was my max and I needed a football game o TV to do that.

Warden - What ended up being the story with the woman who was lost. How did she manage overnight?

Queen - Do 19 so you don't lose any ground to "Treadmill Man".

Muppy - after Assateague, you needed the hill work!

dc - Your colors are probably just starting on the Rock Creek Parkway. Ours are almost over. 

NH - Any rash from the tic? I've done the prophylactic antibiotics 2 times for tic bites.

Dd1 - enjoy the 7. Walking is acceptable. At least it's not a dreadmill!

QOTD:  Plenty of deer and turkeys.  One big buck on Tuesday. I haven't seen a bear all year, and that's a bit unusual.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Put in about 5.4 miles of fartlek on trails and grass cheering my local college xc team at their conference championships.

QOTD:  Do college xc runners count as wild life?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Warden - What ended up being the story with the woman who was lost. How did she manage overnight?

I still don't have the whole story, where she was found, where she got off the trail, but she said once she figured out she would be spending the night, she "burrowed" under a thick juniper- there was some light precip that night and cold (upper 30's) so that was a smart move- bone dry and some thermal protection.  She has some extra food which I'm sure helped.  Not sure if she had any additional clothing.  She did have a good, positive attitude from what I could gather- and I'm sure that made a huge difference as well.  I'll give her credit, she's got to be tough! 

I'll be putting on a presentation for the group, probably next week- talking to the "director" sounds like they had a lot of feedback of folks wanting some training

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

OBMedic

Got out for 6 miles today and feeling like I'm getting my mojo back. Thanks to the storms most of the leaves are down for the season already and the mountains are really starting to open up. It was just starting to drizzle when I finished and I remembered about the load of wood I cut yesterday. Rushed to get it all stacked under cover before the rain really started to open up. Longer run planned for tomorrow but I haven't quite figured out which route I want to run yet so we'll see what the mileage ends up being.

Jamie- More power to you but there's no way I could do that. I'm done after 15 minutes on a treadmill.

QOTD: I keep seeing the same group of three older big bodied does and 4 turkey. I also saw my first white squirrel the other day on a forest service road when I almost ran it over with my car. Apparently they're a species of Russian squirrel that got transplanted here and they're not just albino squirrels. Luckily I didn't hit it because I've been told by locals that it's bad luck to kill them. I'm not superstitious, but my luck is already pretty terrible.

Upcoming Races

Nutcracker 12 hour- 12/15/15 (Depending on Work Schedule)

Everglades Ultras 50M- 2/20/16

Black Mountain Monster 24 hour- May 2016

www.alwaysmoretogive.com