Trailer Trash

Exploring Monday (Read 28 times)

NorthernHarrier

About to head towards home now but I have a planned stop a little south of here to recon a trail system and do some exploring, hence the title. Did a recon of a system a little over an hour west of here yesterday but it was a difficult deal with close to 5" of snow, warmer temps, a lot of melting, mud, water, and a little slip and slide. Kind of liked it actually.  Hard to head out though as I was standing down by my little boat landing drinking coffee and looking out I had an eagle roosting right in front of me, 6 otters swimming around (wonder why the eagle was there? Ha) and a bunch of ducks hanging out. Great time of year.

QOTD--Are you into exploring new spots or do you like to stay with the known and comfortable?

While I like exploring sometimes it can be a lost cause, still adventure but there is something to be said for the known . Political answer I guess.

AT-runner

Tim

Rest from running today. Might ride a bit a lunch or put the bike on trainer for a pedal later tonight. Cross training, right.

QOTD: I'm an explorer, and I need to change things up to keep it interesting. I'm amazed by (and a bit jealous of) people who can run the same route every day and not get bored. With 85,000 acres of forest in Michaux (and many other parks nearby), I can explore a section and then more on. When I go back to an older area, I mix the trails up so they seem different, or hit them at a different time of year. My only constant is the AT, and I use that a lot to get to other trails in the area.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Morning all.  I'll get out shortly for 4 or 5 miles at lunchtime.  Such great weather here, with the leaves mostly off the tree now.

NH-- envious of your view this morning.  I hope you ended up seeing some eagle-otter action.

AT-  enjoy your bike and crosstrain day.

qotd:  I'm both.  Right now as I'm running everyday, I seem to be running the same loops and sections of the paved trail that I can easily get to from my front door.  When I'm traveling, I love new trails but tend to do less exploring from home.  Getting in my car and driving 30-60 min to new trails in our traffic is a barrier for me.  Especially when I have Rock Creek and many other natural trails so close by.

muppy

6.1 hilly trail miles last night.

QOTD I tend to stay on the same trails on busy days, but I like exploring new trails when I have more time.

NHLA

Still working on leaves. There is a 50k run on art lobe trail in dec. Thinking about running it.

qotd   I like to explore on weekends but you can get big time lost in pisgua.  Look at each turn from both directions. Never make more than three turns on unmarked trails.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Back at work this morning and trying to get up and walk around as much as possible.  My hips are a bit sore - more than usual after Saturday.  I would love to get out for a short run tonight - just not sure if it will happen.

Anyone know how LB2 did?

QOTD: I like exploring but at this point, I don't have much time to do so. I would have to drive a bit and usually I am on a time constraint.  Exploring implies that time is not an issue.  My favorite thing to do is to study maps and see if I can figure out where trails lead and then explore.  It's cheating a bit.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Got back from vacation late last night, too late and too tired for a run. At work today so no run.  Our Tennessee Vacation was nice, but far too short.  Drove up to Clingman's dome.  It was about the clearest we've ever seen it there. We could see Mt Mitchell 73 miles away.  Temp about 32 with  40 MPH winds. Brrrrrr.  Had a run planned over in Cade's Cove for Saturday morning. Woke up to Temps in the upper 20's. I took along some cool weather running stuff but nothing for that cold so ended up not running.

QOTD: Love to explore. Unfortunately I rarely have the time. Wanted to check out some new trails this fall. Normally they are almost overgrown in the summer but look cleaner in the fall.  Now I'm almost too busy to just run on the roads around the house.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

This weekend was hard!!  We had company so up late Friday, off jeeping Saturday and up early Sunday and went to the Raiders vs Vikings game.  My friend is a Vikings fan so he was very happy (in the fact that he wasn't beat up while he was there).  Lot's of fun, no run, I am exhausted today cause I still have that cold.  Plan is gym or lunch run; haven't decided.  Doing coffee right now.

QOTD: Both, going to a place you know is easy no worries you know it's gonna be good and what to expect.  My husband hates the unknown.  Finding new cool places to add to this list is great too.   Oh are we talking trails...love to find new trails.

Well done Jamie...you have taken a huge lead this week do to my laziness. 

LB finished...saw a picture on FB with his kiddo proudly hugging her Daddies leg...so cute

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Watoni

Back from Tahoe (snow for a change!). I did short snow runs up to mid-mountain around Northstar each day while the kids skied. My ankle/foot is not well adapted to skiing now. I overdid it last weekend at the Healdsburg Running Company camp in Sonoma and the top of my foot is killing me, so likely a few cycling days until that calms down -- it was totally worth it though to meet new folks and get some good runs in.

QOTD: I need to explore some more .... especially on vacations I have a few spots I go back to again and again but an adventure would be great .... Panama last year was a revelation and my bride and boys loved their time in Argentina this summer.

XtremeTaper

Lunchtime road/trail hybrid from the house. 8 miles on my Sprogels/Fox run trail route. Hilly but nice run overall. Felt good. This past weekend did a couple of double digit runs but nothing long. 10 on Saturday at Coventry Woods, and 12 yesterday at Fair Hill.

QOTD: Running wise I've explored the trails in my general area about as much as one can, though once in awhile I will stumble on something new, like last year when I found the trails up on the bluffs above lock60 near Phoenixville, and years ago we explored the entire horeshoe trail system. I need to do more road trips for trail exploration. I am bit more exploratory minded when I go out with a group.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Back from Tahoe (snow for a change!). I did short snow runs up to mid-mountain around Northstar each day while the kids skied. My ankle/foot is not well adapted to skiing now. I overdid it last weekend at the Healdsburg Running Company camp in Sonoma and the top of my foot is killing me, so likely a few cycling days until that calms down -- it was totally worth it though to meet new folks and get some good runs in.

After a bad ankle injury, I had to have my ski boots re-fitted so they fit without pain. It was like night and day.  Maybe that might help with your foot.

LB2

I walked a mile. Legs feel great. I have no issues. I'll probably wait until Wednesday to do any real running, though. And that is mainly because of the weather.

QOTD: I'll explore.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

I walked a mile. Legs feel great. I have no issues. I'll probably wait until Wednesday to do any real running, though. And that is mainly because of the weather.

QOTD: I'll explore.

Congratulations, on you hundo. Way to go!  Was the race organization as much as cluster-F as I heard about from others?

dpc3

Short 3 with the young pup

QOTD: Explore

Sandy-2

SRD on Monday.  I plan to run after work today.

qotd: I like exploring.

tbd.