Trailer Trash

Sweaty Sundailies (Read 37 times)

The pooch and I had a sweaty 5 mile trail run. The deer flies were biting.

QOTD: Pass

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Brian Runner

Supposed to be a little cooler here today (high of 79), with the chance of some strong t-storms. This moring I'll be leading another beginners trail run on the local trails.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

still a couple of days of drying before I can hit the trails, will likely gut out a mile repeat regime (run a mile/walk a lap repeat) at the track- probably 6 repeats

qotd: where does your area stand for moisture- ours shows we've improved from moderate drought to extremely dry, that was as of 5/28- we got over 3" since then so I'm confident we'll be out of any color shading the next map

US map here (you can click in on it to better see your area)

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

under a rock

5.75 trail miles with our local trail club. One of the guys ran into a coyote eating a black snake. Glad we managed to miss that.

QOTD: My area appears to be drought free right now. This is the first time since I've lived here, almost 6 yrs, that we've not had some level of drought going on. The first two years here were severe drought. Last year we were at moderate drought levels. We had such a wet winter and spring that we've climbed out of our rain deficit that was created from severe drought in 2007-2008. The lakes/reservoirs here have been low the past 6 yrs but this year they are above normal levels.

Sandy-2

This morning's run was like 2 runs in one.  Started out just as muggy and warm as yesterday (79 deg today), I could see lots of lighting way to the north that the Internet said would stay up there for the better part of the morning.  Went for it.  Well 5 miles later the wind was howling, pouring down rain and dodging lightening bolts.  But the best part - it had to be about 10 deg cooler.  I was like I kid splashing in the puddles, felt great.  The 2nd 5 miles was so much better than the first.  Although I have to admit I stayed away from the trees when I heard a large branch fall behind me.  Ended up with10 this morning.

About a mile from my house I came around the corner and there was a car with a large tree branch draped over the hood and two people wide-eyed in the front seat.  Windshield shattered.  Stopped to help, but they said that help was already on the way and that they were fine, just very surprised and lucky.  Wow.

Currently sitting in the airport syncing the e-mail and waiting for my plane to Tokyo.  It's supposed to be a little cooler there this week.  Yay.

Have a good one everybody.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Just got back from the Tussey Teaser #4, Treaster-Kettle Test Your Mettle, 10.5 miles. Hot and humid, and after my 5-day hiatus from running due to illness I was a bit sluggish, but made it ok to the finish. RR to follow.

Deer flies and gnats were merciless here, too.

QOTD: "None", if anything, unusually dry, which corresponds to my perception. Still, it's humid, and the ground is often humid or even muddy on the trails, but no real in-depth rain that brings water deep into the ground.

I fear it might turn into either an extreme drought once the hot summer starts, or we might just get a very wet, cool summer this year.

Still, this should not keep me off the trails!

Enjoy the day, trail blazers!

Run for fun.

Just ran a very hot and sweaty 6 miles. My body is still trying to acclimate to this heat wave. Supposed to cool down tomorrow I hear (I hope!)

Chnaiur

SRD today, but weather is so nice I'm tempted to go for a few miles. Should stay disciplined though.

QOTD: Given that the water refill stream for my long run already is dried out, I was surprised to see that the Bay Area supposedly is at 98.5%.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Snowdenrun

7.6 yesterday. Not sure today. DBF got sick and in turn got me sick. We NEVER get sick, so this might just be a deadly virus. Hoping for some mileage to see if it clears my sinuses up a bit.

QOTD: Drought free here. In face we got well over a half an inch of rain yesterday.

runtraildc

Hi all,

Did the North Face 'trail' 10K this morning.   What can I say, I was curious, it was local and I thought it would be a good trail race for DS.  I don't think I'd do it again, unless I had friends that wanted to try out a trail race and needed something very simple.  I have no idea how they came up with a technical rating of 3 (of 4) stars as there was a bit of paved trail, it was very flat and maybe 10 roots and a couple of man-made dry bed stream crossings.  It was a corporate race, but very well run and nice swag.  DS had a good run. Mine was not.  I joke about 'freshman track' runs that feel as if you've never run before--- today was one of those sluggish, slow, miserable runs.  Thankfully, it was only 6 miles.

qotd:  We're in a drought, though it doesn't feel like it.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Sweaty is right.  I was out before 6am this morning and got in 8 miles.  I was sweating like crazy.  I miss the dead of winter running.

QOTD: I don't think we're in a drought.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

6 non-sweaty miles this morning, with temps around 50 and lots of fog.   Kudos to everyone battling deer flies, tree branches, thunderstorms, humidity and heat.

Chnaiur, I'm in the Bay Area too (Half Moon Bay).  Where are you?  We've had pretty minimal rain and the snowpack is way below normal so I don't see how we can avoid the dreaded "D" word.

Ashley, gotta love nature in action. I once came across a blue heron trying to gulp down a gopher.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Occasional Runner

54 miles under a very hot African sun and 25-30 mph headwinds for the final 20 miles. Throw in the fact that it's asphalt and you have a perfectly shitty day!

Chnaiur

54 miles under a very hot African sun and 25-30 mph headwinds for the final 20 miles. Throw in the fact that it's asphalt and you have a perfectly shitty day!

Ugh - look forward to the race report :-)

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

Chnaiur

Chnaiur, I'm in the Bay Area too (Half Moon Bay).  Where are you?  We've had pretty minimal rain and the snowpack is way below normal so I don't see how we can avoid the dreaded "D" word.

I live in SF and work in the valley. I do most of my running off skyline boulevard - the long run with the dried-out creek I was referring to was in El Corte Madera preserve. I agree it was a dry winter, which is why the info that was linked seemed off.

I assume you run a lot at Purissima Creek?

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS