Trailer Trash

Trail Running Culture Article (from RW.com) (Read 67 times)

I'm currently writing a blog post about this exact topic,  which originated from a podcast I just listened to from Trail Runner Nation. Then, I stumbled upon this article, which was posted on Twitter. I know how some of you feel about rw.com....

http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-racing/culture-clash#.UZphMUjQ2w1.twitter

My gut reaction is that I can't relate to this article too much because I am a mid-packer and don't necessarily care who's winning. I find it entertaining to follow the leaders but I won't ever catch them. 

However, there is a much larger question in there about culture shift and I thought this would be a good discussion for the forum.

So discuss... (I'll also post my blog post here when it's done.)

Occasional Runner

This is a stupid article.

Almost ALL trail runners started running on roads before moving to the trail. They're just highlighting some of those runners at the elite level.

I've met Emily Harrison at both of her trail races and she is definitely an amazing runner and she did start her career on the road, but she's being trained by Ian Torrance. I think that would indicate she's migrated to the trails. And she definitely fits into the trail scene very well.

To connect Max King to the road running scene is where I really lost it. He's been a great road runner as well, but he's only famous for what he's done on the trails.

This is just more bullshit from a magazine that doesn't understand the sport and wants to draw a connection between themselves and trail running.

DigDug2

For what it's worth, this is a Running Times article, not a Runners World article.  RT was acquired by Rodale (RW's owner) a few years ago but in my view has remained a decent, serious running magazine.

To me, this article was a big "so what" - road runners aren't changing the trail running culture.  Money, which follows things that are growing in popularity, may have an effect on the culture of certain of the bigger events, but that's a really small piece of the trail running pie.

This is a stupid article.

I actually pulled the article from Krissy Moehl's twitter feed, and she said something along the same lines Smile

Messenjah

yeah. Pretty dumb article. I agree with Lace that Max is one of those guys that isn't going to push the pace on a road marathon against people like Ryan Hall, Meb or the Kenyans, but put him on the trail and he can smoke anyone.

Occasional Runner

For what it's worth, this is a Running Times article, not a Runners World article.  RT was acquired by Rodale (RW's owner) a few years ago but in my view has remained a decent, serious running magazine.

To me, this article was a big "so what" - road runners aren't changing the trail running culture.  Money, which follows things that are growing in popularity, may have an effect on the culture of certain of the bigger events, but that's a really small piece of the trail running pie.

Ahhhhh...yeah...Running Times! The same people that wrote an article about how I crushed the Women's course record at the Zion 100. They failed to notice I'm a man and they also failed to notice that two other women came in ahead of me.

I would say the Running Times is the retarded little sister to Runners World.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yea I don't get it.  I suppose because I am a mid or back of the packer.  Just save me some food for when I finish and keep the entry costs low.

And I really don't get this statement:

He blames social media, in part, for a new breed of ultrarunner who doesn't engage in a natural progression of race distances before signing up for his first 100-miler.

Where does it say about an actual progression of ultras before a 100 miler??

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

He blames social media, in part, for a new breed of ultrarunner who doesn't engage in a natural progression of race distances before signing up for his first 100-miler.

Where does it say about an actual progression of ultras before a 100 miler??

And not to mention, I've heard/read many stories of the "original" ultra generation just signing up for a 50 miler or longer back in the day, because there weren't as many races back then. It seemed to work out for them. Though I would never do it like that, if there's enough training I don't see the issue with this.

I'd argue that many ultra "newbies" are a bit more scared to go long initially, and will in fact do many shorter races before jumping into the 100 miler. I think a lot of us here are good examples of that. Then again, maybe the author is just pointing at the elites...which most of us can't exactly relate to.

But then again all of that is hearsay and personal opinion (both mine and the article...)

jonferg67

Endless trails

The smell of weed and Grateful Dead is what got me into trail racing.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Oh my, I'm one of "those ultra runners", I went from HM to 50k, have never run a marathon, and have signed up for the 100M right after my 50M. I never knew I was doing it wrong, now I feel bad.

Run for fun.

Ultra Cowboy

I didn't read the article, but I don't need a Rodale publication to tell me what kind of "culture" my sport or hobby is supposed to have. my culture is the people I associate with at the events, aid stations, and post run events.  Some elite runners time has no bearing on whether or not I performed at my best, enjoyed the course or not.

The thing I like best about trail races is that at the start, people talk about stuff OTHER THAN RUNNING.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Holden McGruyen

Substitute "mountain bikers" for "trail runners" and "road racers" for "road runners" and you have basically the same article that came out 20 years ago in the bicycling world. Eventually everyone will be mixed together, for better or for worse. Then the public will move on to the next big thing.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

Ultramarathon Man and Born to Run have changed the sport WAY more than the presence of competitive road runners.

Occasional Runner

Ultramarathon Man and Born to Run have changed the sport WAY more than the presence of competitive road runners.

Never heard a more accurate statement in my life!

Watoni

yeah. Pretty dumb article. I agree with Lace that Max is one of those guys that isn't going to push the pace on a road marathon against people like Ryan Hall, Meb or the Kenyans, but put him on the trail and he can smoke anyone.

Well, except in cases like Lake Sonoma, where he was third (admittedly he went out too fast). Also, I honestly don't believe he can top Kilian in any trail race that is 50M or longer ...

More interesting to me was the part about Leadville. Leadville still captivates me as a challenge and as a place, so I hope the vibe remains. People around here are much more into Western States, it seems, but Leadville and UTMB are what I dream about.